Parenting after 35

NBR-Mountain Lions!

My whole neighborhood is buzzing.  Last night the pizza guy told my DH he saw two big mountain lions running through the open space behind our house!!!!

We've always assumed they're out there but you'd never actually see them.  Bears too.  And the coyotes and deer are pretty regular visitors so they're no big deal.

But freakin' lions??? Yikes!   I'm not leaving the house!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NBR-Mountain Lions!

• Wow...we just have to deal with deers, foxes, ground hogs.
  • PeskyPesky member
    Well, you all are closer to the mountains that we are.  We had a lost young bear a year ago that was a big deal here but rarely a mountain lion.  Surprising considering we have some deer, antelope, coyotes, foxes, raccoons and so on.  But yeah, those and bears are not ones I'm keen to cross paths with.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Loading the player...
  • Lions, and coyotes, and bears, oh my!  
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imagePeppernut:
    Lions, and coyotes, and bears, oh my!  

LOL! We get those and cougars wandering into town sometimes, and it freaks me out, even though I've never seen them. I'm probably more bothered about the dumb deer that keep eating my crab apple tree and putting divets in my grass. And the skunk that wanders into my yard occasionally.

• Do you have a fence? I'd be scared to death to go out, daytime or night. You just never know if it's hiding somewhere in a shady spot. The town I want to move to gets alot of bears because of the woods. So if we get a house there will be a 6ft fence going up around entire yard. I know sometimes even fences don't always keep the animals away but it could deter them & make them move on.
  • imagefiazo:
    Do you have a fence? I'd be scared to death to go out, daytime or night. You just never know if it's hiding somewhere in a shady spot. The town I want to move to gets alot of bears because of the woods. So if we get a house there will be a 6ft fence going up around entire yard. I know sometimes even fences don't always keep the animals away but it could deter them & make them move on.

Sorry, hon.  A fence won't do a thing.  The only thing that truly works is to be vigilant and keep anything that remotely looks or smells like food far away from them.  No birdfeeders, garbage cans outside, etc.   A 6 food fence is a jungle gym to bears.

• I guess I kinda expect Mountain Lions in the Rocky Mountain State.  But even so, I'd been a bit nervous to know they were nearby.

Heck, I freaked with the coyote in our driveway.  I'm used to deer and bunnies and the occasional black bear sighting (less common by my house, as I'm very close to a shopping mall). But a Mountain Lion would worry me.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • I'm not surprised at all that lions are around... but we aren't in their usual habitat and no one has ever seen them.  Heck, we're in a subdivision right along the interstate!   But the creek behind our house leads directly to the Air Force Academy so it's really just a short stroll for the critters to get over here.

The way I see it, we live in their space so we're the ones who need to be careful.

• That is so true, we invaded their habitat. I really need to get a new boat horn.
  • Pepper spray.  One that has good distance on it.
  • Yikes!  Believe it or not, here in Connecticut a mountain lion was hit by an SUV a little over a week ago!  They say mountain lions do not live around here and that he must have been someone's pet.  But there have been more "sightings" of them in other towns.  Scary to think what can be out there. 
    Married 5/12/07 Took 3 IUIs and 2 IVFs for our sweet boy He was worth the wait! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Mountain Lions have been seen here in the Moutain State as well (WV).  They have been extinct in this area for at least 150 years but there is some evidence that they are making their way east again.  So that Connecticut lion might have been one of those eastern traveling ones.

• Yeah, my family in central Iowa has seen tracks and there have been sightings there, too.

They're so shy, I doubt I'd see them.  But it'd be really cool!  

• yikers!  does anyone have any small yappy dogs you want dealt with?!  OK, my bad!  Be safe.
  • imagePiranha54:
    yikers!  does anyone have any small yappy dogs you want dealt with?!  OK, my bad!  Be safe.

Fortunately, my yappy rat dog of a neighbor and his monstrously big yappy buddy are moving to Kansas TODAY!!   We're praying that the new renter will NOT have pets.

But yeah, no one leaves pets out at night in this neighborhood.  They don't last long that way.

• M.AmyM.Amy member
    Yikes!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"