Upstate NY Babies
Options

DD and fireworks?

DH wants to go to the Great Escape tomorrow to see fireworks.  It is approx 1 hr drive and I think the fireworks are 9:30pm.

He wants to leave before DD's nap (the 20 month old).  She usually naps 2-3 hours, but in the car it takes her literally 45 minutes to fall asleep, and she usually goes to bed around 10.

I'm just worried that she won't nap, and then I'm dragging 2 grouchy kids around in the heat from like 3pm-10pm.  Every time we have tried to skip her nap, she hits a wall where she just cries uncontrollably and I have to bounce her like a newborn to get her to calm down/pass out.

Is it worth it?  Should I just send DH and our 4 year old?  The 20 month old has lots of fun, but every time we go, we go first thing in the morning and leave in the late afternoon, the kids usually fall asleep in the stroller or before we make it out of the parking lot..

Re: DD and fireworks?

• Options
    i would go. its a holiday/special occasion.
    Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • Options
    I would put her down for an early nap at home and then go after.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My thoughts were DH and our 4 year old could go..

What do I do when the toddler totally melts down from skipping her nap?  I don't want to have to hold her in my arms for like 2 hours in 85 degree weather and walk around like that..

• Options
    That's why I would go after their naps :) When we do something like this - we wake them up a little earlier, put them down for naps a little earlier and just go after naps. You'll have plenty of time to get there and walk around before the fireworks. It doesn't have to be an hours and hours long thing...I'd rather have an enjoyable three hours than an ok 6 hours filled with fits.
  • Options

yeah, why do you have to go so early?! If it's only an hour drive, let the baby nap  then head there at 4 or 5 o'clock. Get some dinner and watch the fireworks.

• Options

imageTelyco:
    That's why I would go after their naps :) When we do something like this - we wake them up a little earlier, put them down for naps a little earlier and just go after naps. You'll have plenty of time to get there and walk around before the fireworks. It doesn't have to be an hours and hours long thing...I'd rather have an enjoyable three hours than an ok 6 hours filled with fits.

my thoughts exactly! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"