Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Advice needed, please.

I posted on here a couple weeks ago about the loss of our triplets at 19 weeks due to incompetent cervix.  I had my postpartum appointment today with my OB/GYN and we talked a little about starting to try again in January or February of next year. 

A little bit of background info, I have been diagnosed with insulin resistance and PCOS.  Before moving onto injectables we tried 3 or 4 cycles on clomid and metformin with my previous OB/GYN with no success.  My largest follicle on the clomid was 14mm on a Friday and when I went back in on that Monday for an u/s they told me that it had disappeared but they did not think I ovulated.

One of the questions that I asked her was how many babies did she think I could safely carry?  She seemed pretty adamant that she didn't want me carrying multiples at all.  Now the tricky part...it's kind of hard to make sure that only one egg gets fertilized if you have two or three mature follicles.  At this moment in time, I feel as though I could definitely never do reduction and always have that wonder in the back of my mind of who that baby would have been, but I also don't want to lose another three because of my selfishness.  Also, with my husband being the only one working right now it's hard for us to come up with the money for one cycle of the meds, let alone more if we have to cancel due to overstimulation.  And there is always a chance that even if I had 2 or 3 mature follicles that not all of them would be fertilized. 

My new OB offered to try one round of clomid (in a few months, of course) if I wanted just to decrease the chance of more than one egg and to save us money if possible, but she said that she really feels like if it didn't work before that it won't work this time and she doesn't want to waste our time or money that could be going towards an RE. 

So now that I've rambled on, I guess my question is would you give the clomid a try even though it didn't work, or save the money to see an RE?  Thanks in advance for any advice at all.

Re: Advice needed, please.

• Options
    I'm sorry, I don't have any experience in this, but I did want to say I'm so sorry for your losses and I hope someone here has some advice for you. Based on just what I've read in your post, I would save my money for the RE, since your new OB isn't convinced the clomid will work. Good luck, and big hugs to you!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagemchisolm:
    I'm sorry, I don't have any experience in this, but I did want to say I'm so sorry for your losses and I hope someone here has some advice for you. Based on just what I've read in your post, I would save my money for the RE, since your new OB isn't convinced the clomid will work. Good luck, and big hugs to you!

I agree. I don't have any experience to offer, but my instinct would be to save for the RE too. 

TTC #1 since January 2011
    BFP#1 April 12, 2011, EDD December 24, 2011, strong heart beat at 7w3d, d&c at 10w6d
    BFP#2 Oct 24, 2011, natural miscarriage, EDD unknown
    After RPL testing my losses and subsequent infertility are considered unexplained.
    Cycle #22: Femara, TI, and progesterone = BFP!! 
    BFP#3 Dec 21, 2012. Beta #1 @14dpo = 134, progesterone 67.8. Beta #2 @ 17dpo = 664! Team green, EDD 9/1/13, healthy baby boy born 9/12/13!
    imageimage  My chart.

Congratulations to the fabulous KGS2003! Her sweet boys are here! Grow boys grow!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"