December 2010 Moms

? for those who co-sleep?

I'm just curious about a couple of things.  LO sleeps in his crib pretty comfortably, so I don't plan on co-sleeping, but I've always wondered about two things about co-sleeping:

1.  Do you go to bed when LO goes to bed?  Or do they get put down in your bed and you join later? Does it get frustrating if you DO go to bed with your baby and you are not tired yet?

2.  When I sleep, I have my head on a pillow (obviously) and my comforter pulled up over my shoulders.  If a baby is in between you and your hubby, how do you keep the comforter or blanket from going over them?  Or their head from going in between the pillow?

I am not posting this to be negative about co-sleeping, they were just things I couldn't work out to fit my lifestyle, so I am curious about how you deal with them!

photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg

Re: ? for those who co-sleep?

• PGASTLPGASTL member

We had to co-sleep while on vacation because LO would not sleep in the PNP. This was the first time in 4 months that I've had to sleep with her (when she was born I had to sleep with her on my chest).

Anyway, on vacation I just laid her next to me in bed (on the side by the edge of the bed, not between me and DH) and put pillows on the floor just in case. Then I only used a sheet over me and slept on the edge of my pillow so there was more open space around her.

It was not easy and I got AWFUL sleep because I was aware of EVERY move she made. There is no way I could do it full time. No way. (we were also all 3 in a double bed - I couldn't roll over or change positions at all).

• I don't cosleep anymore. We used to take her to bed when we were ready to go to sleep, sometimes she would already be asleep. I slept on the edge of my pillow and the blanket up to my waist. She is in her crib now and we all sleep much better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Formerly Je*lastname*. Started a new account because I couldn't get my SN changed to something less personal.
  • Loading the player...
  • We only co-sleep in the morning (and this just really kind of started at first on the weekends while I was still working, and now takes place just about every morning now that I'm home for the summer) because Miles wakes up SUPER early (4:30-5am). We could technically probably put him back down for a few more hours with a bottle, but I just bring him into bed with me and nurse him back to sleep. DH is already out of bed, so it's just the two of us, and I lay on the edge of my pillow, and only use a sheet, and if I do use the comfortor, I bring it up to Miles' waistline. It's not SUPER comfortable, but I enjoy my time with him, and it also gives me another hour or two of sleep before getting up for the day.

Sadly, I think I will be done nursing in the next few weeks. I'm still undecided whether I'll try to bring him into bed with me and put him to sleep next to me with a bottle, or just put him back in his crib after he wakes up.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • we co-slept until about 3-4 months.  he either slept in bed with us, or in the co-sleeper attached to the bed. 

for the first month, i brought him to bed when we were ready to go. he was still in the 'i can sleep anywhere' phase so we'd hold him/put him down somewhere until we went to bed. and he slept on my chest or next to me.  he rarely moved unless he was hungry so i slept well. 

the 2nd-3rd month i would go to bed at the same time as him. he had colic, so by the time he passed out at 8:00, i was spent and just snuggled him until his first night feed.  the rest of the night he was swaddled next to me.  we had the bed up against the wall and he would sleep between the wall and a temperpedic pillow (firm in case he got close to it).  i was on the other side of the pillow, and H was on the other side of me.  the blanket was around my waist and i wore long sleeve top to bed so i still felt warm. we have a california king so there was plenty of room to set up barriers around him.  i wasnt really worried about rolling onto him, but i thought he might roll into me once he started being more mobile.

the 4th month he was strictly in his co-sleeper because he moved a lot.  by the end of the 4th month, he was in his cosleeper with both sides up, but still next to that bed, and we moved to a different room (we were both light sleepers and would wake each other up. i was miserable.  we had him like this until we set up his own room with crib. then transferred to crib. this was about the same time the cosleeper started to be too tight for him.

i enjoyed cosleeping until he was more restless.  i thought wed cosleep longer, and sometimes i miss snuggling him, but it got to a point where neither of us were sleeping well and so we did what worked for us. he did not have a hard time transitioning to crib at all.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 1.  Do you go to bed when LO goes to bed?

He goes in his crib now until about 3 when he wakes up and I put him in our bed.  I'm trying to break this, but it's not going well. :)  Before then, he would sleep in the bassinet until we got in bed.  Sometimes I lay down with him around 8:00 and accidently fall asleep and don't wake up until morning!

2.  When I sleep, I have my head on a pillow (obviously) and my comforter pulled up over my shoulders.  If a baby is in between you and your hubby, how do you keep the comforter or blanket from going over them?  Or their head from going in between the pillow?

He sleeps tummy to tummy with me, so that takes care of the pillow issue.  I sleep on my side, so I just pull the blankets over me from the side he's not on and keep them off of him.  Now that he's older, I put the sheet over the bottom half of his body too.  He sleeps with a light blanket in his crib too.  We've never had an issue of him accidently getting lost in the blankets or anything (he sleeps between me and DH too.)  Somehow you just know where they are while you are asleep. It's weird really how aware you are of them.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Avery always starts the night in her crib, but we usually end up co-sleeping by morning. We usually pass out with her head at my boob level, and the blanket is pulled up to our waists. Sometimes early morning I move her to the top of the bed, ditch my pillow, and I cuddle with her (her body kinda curled around my head). In that case, the blanket is pulled all the way up to my shoulders.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • noditonodito member
    LO goes to sleep in our bed around 7:30.  We join him three hours later when it's time for us to sleep.  He sleeps at my chest level and we just pull up the covers to our waist, or I'll pull them up around my back if I'm facing him.  He doesn't like having a sheet on him anyway, so if it does accidentally creeps up, he kicks it or bats it away.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"