Washington Babies
Options

Vent: HFCS

high fructose corn syrup.

Why is it in everything? I am not opposed to it in things like lollipops or soda or popcicles. I have no expectations of those foods being healthy choices.  But spaghetti sauce?  Whole wheat bread?  It took me 4 loaves to find one HFCS free yesterday. I don't want some vegan organic, we-name-each-shaft-of-wheat loaf. Just basic, we'll make a good grilled cheese loaf. I don't object to the sugar in it.  I know (think? I haven't baked in a long time) it's needed for the yeast to work, but sweet Baby Hay-Zeus, must it be in everything?

Re: Vent: HFCS

• Options

Amen.  It's shocking how many products it's in.  

I was thrilled to recently find a good BBQ sauce without HFCS (Bulls-Eye brand) and to learn that Hunt's ketchup no longer has it.

• Options
    HFCS, saccharin and parabens...seriously, enough already...

FYI - We LOVE Killer Dave's bread (Blues) - it's healthy and chock full of goodies.

This site is awesome: highfructosehigh

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    daves killer bread.  costco.  2 pack.   freeze one.   best toast ever
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Tell me about it. I even noticed that the jar of pickles in my fridge had HFCS in it. Why in pickles? And the bbq sauce - drives me batty.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I haven't ever paid attention to it, but since my cousin was finally diagnosed with an allergy to it, I have to be more careful if I'm trying to find something for her to eat.

photo 2d6f681a-40e8-42e5-a771-5a26c7ad29fe_zpsdce5d654.jpg Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I agree. Anything with too much HFCS in it gives me migraines. There are certain things that I love but won't touch because of the HFCS.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • Options

Just to add to the vent... lunch meat too.  We are a HFCS-free house, and I'm sick of reading labels on EVERYTHING. 

I'm going to make an AWESOME big brother.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Agreed!  This is one of the reasons I make my own syrup for pancakes/waffles and don't save as much $$ with couponing. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagedoublem:
    Agreed!  This is one of the reasons I make my own syrup for pancakes/waffles and don't save as much $$ with couponing. 

THIS!  If you're trying to eat organically or without additives, good LORD it's not cheap.

And - to DoubleM - have you tried using straight/real maple syrup?  I made my husband switch (much to his chagrin - he'd have us as choked full of chemicals as a Twinkie if he could) and it took some getting used to for him...but now it's the norm in our house.

• Options
     OK So I just looked at our bread and it has HFCS but it's in the section of "less than 2% of the following".... so I'm not sure I care that much if there's that little of it.  Am I missing something there? Or should I really care more?  I already get BBQ sauce and ketchup and even popsicles without it.  I honestly hadn't even thought to look at bread.  
  • Options

imageSeattle_JiLLn:
     OK So I just looked at our bread and it has HFCS but it's in the section of "less than 2% of the following".... so I'm not sure I care that much if there's that little of it.  Am I missing something there? Or should I really care more?  I already get BBQ sauce and ketchup and even popsicles without it.  I honestly hadn't even thought to look at bread.  

The body processes it differently than sugar.  And that's jsut one study, there are tons going each way, but I'll give Princeton more credibilty than this study, which is from the Corn Refiners Association. Or anything from the FDA or US Dept of Agriculture--they lost me with the Food Pyramid. 

I would never pick up a bottle of BBQ sauce and expect sugar to the first ingredient, but the brand in my fridge has HFCS as the top ingredient.  Like I said, I'm not opposed to it in candy and sodas and other junk, but if it's less than 2% of the ingredients in a loaf of whole wheat bread, why no just use sugar?

• Options
    I feel like a bad mom/person since I don't even pay attention to this. : /

image Visit The Nest!

• Options
    imagepreston18:

imageSeattle_JiLLn:

The body processes it differently than sugar.  And that's jsut one study, there are tons going each way, but I'll give Princeton more credibilty than this study, which is from the Corn Refiners Association. Or anything from the FDA or US Dept of Agriculture--they lost me with the Food Pyramid. 

I would never pick up a bottle of BBQ sauce and expect sugar to the first ingredient, but the brand in my fridge has HFCS as the top ingredient.  Like I said, I'm not opposed to it in candy and sodas and other junk, but if it's less than 2% of the ingredients in a loaf of whole wheat bread, why no just use sugar?

Yeah, I know it's not great stuff, I just wonder if it really matters if it's at less than 2% or if even that little bit is a big deal to watch for?   But like you said, it's so stupid that they bother to toss it in.  Although we have to do something with all of the corn the government pays farmers to grow, so that's where it came from.  It's a mess how much corn is in our diets in everything.

I actually would expect BBQ sauce to have sugar as a first ingredient... Or at least the top 3.  so that doesn't surprise me.   There are plenty of BBQ sauces without it.  Stubbs is what we get.  https://stubbsbbq.elsstore.com/  They have it at QFC and I'm pretty sure at Safeway too. 

• Options

Also, a number of studies have shown that there are traces of mercury found in HFCS, which is a little scary to me, and I'd prefer to avoid that.  

IG: we do on occasion have real maple syrup, but the way my husband eats it reminds me of Buddy the Elf, and that stuff is expensive!  I usually make it out of berries or fruit, and occasionally with just sugar and maple extract if we're out of the real deal. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagedoublem:

Also, a number of studies have shown that there are traces of mercury found in HFCS, which is a little scary to me, and I'd prefer to avoid that.  

IG: we do on occasion have real maple syrup, but the way my husband eats it reminds me of Buddy the Elf, and that stuff is expensive!  I usually make it out of berries or fruit, and occasionally with just sugar and maple extract if we're out of the real deal. 

Costco carries real maple syrup that's not outrageous.

Mercury is an interesting contaminant because if you have small amounts of it, your body just vaporizes it and you breathe it out.  Which is why most seafood in moderation is still ok even though it all seems to have mercury these days. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"