October 2011 Moms
Options

cribs and mil--vent and question.

Ok, so we visited our in-laws this weekend, and while we were there we went shopping at Babies R Us and Baby Depot. They had never seen the convertible cribs before and thought they were pretty neat. I was going around looking at cribs during this time and said something about them being cheaper at Target and Wal-Mart. MIL commented well you don't want something cheap. She said this several times. I'm looking at Graco brands at Target and Wal-mart, I don't consider those "cheap". Maybe that is just me though. I know I can't afford a $300-$400 crib. We are about to move into a new house, and I can't be extravagent with our purchases. My in-laws always have lived above their means, so I guess they think we should too.

Later that night, MIL mentioned that FIL wanted to build a crib for us. I guess maybe my feelings for FIL are part of the reason I don't want him to build a crib for us, but I also know it will take forever. His projects always take forever. For example, he re-finished DH's baby cradle and started in March, and it is still not finished. So I know a crib will take a lot longer. I want LO's room set up and ready when she arrives even though I know she won't be sleeping in the crib for a while. I just keep saying that I'm looking at Target for a crib and have found several I like.

So, am I the only "cheapie" who is going to put their LO in a crib from Target or Wal-Mart that costs around $160-$200? I told DH that they make me feel like a cheap hillbilly... Indifferent

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker CafeMom Tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: cribs and mil--vent and question.

• Options
    We didn't happen to buy our crib at Target but we certainly looked there. They have good, safe products available. Just like any other store, you have to do your research. It sounds like you have.
  • Options

Honestly, cribs aren't used for very long anyway.  A couple years and you are done with them.  The more expensive cribs convert to beds later, but heck, you can just buy a bed later!  Getting a crib from Target or Walmart is totally fine.

I would NOT put a baby in a crib a layperson made.  What so they know about infant safety?  Go ahead and buy a crib, or tell your ILs that someone is giving you  a crib as a generous gift, and put this issue to bed.  (pun intended)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

it doesnt matter where you buy it.  If you buy a good brand that you have researched - it is acceptable and actually smart.  No different than shopping the sales.

my MIL wants to buy our stroller and is insisting that we go to some store near her house where they sell Italian strollers.  I told her that we can look there, but we have to research for the best stroller and not fall in love with some brand name for no reason.  she sounded surprised that I didnt just want the fancy Italian brand.  I explained that weight and ease of packing are just 2 important things to consider since we live in a 2nd floor walkup. 

• Options

I agree with PP.. i actually bought a graco at Target..it was a good deal.. $150..and i know alot of ladies on the bump who bought same one.. it's a good crib..sturdy & is sold at BRU as well.. for a little higher price..

You can always say that you & your DH want to buy the cribs yourself..and they'll be plenty of other stuff they can build or buy for you.. how about a rocking horse..then if it takes him 5 years to build it..it's ok..LOL

IVF - 9/09 - BFN! :( IVF #2 - ER 3/16; ET 3/18 with one embryo Beta 3/30 -- BFN! :( IVF #3 - 5/10 - BFN! IVF #4 - 11/10 - BFP. m/c at 6weeks :( FET #1 - 2/11 - BFP. beta on 2/21 :) Thank you God! :) u/s on 3/7 showed TWINS! u/s on 3/11 TWO heartbeats! Couldn't be happier :)
  • Options
    As long as the crib you want to purchase meets the required manufacturing guidelines, I wouldn't worry about price.  However, I would never allow someone to build my child a crib. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageJanimal:

Honestly, cribs aren't used for very long anyway.  A couple years and you are done with them.  The more expensive cribs convert to beds later, but heck, you can just buy a bed later!  Getting a crib from Target or Walmart is totally fine.

I would NOT put a baby in a crib a layperson made.  What so they know about infant safety?  Go ahead and buy a crib, or tell your ILs that someone is giving you  a crib as a generous gift, and put this issue to bed.  (pun intended)

Agreed. With all the safety regulations out there, I wouldn't want to trust someone to make one. What if he made one that was obvioulsy not up to code? Would they guilt you into using it? Most likely. So, to avoid this, just tell them you are buying one. Also, you can try looking at Amazon.com for cribs. We got one cheaper there (+ free 2 day shipping) than BRU was selling it for.

"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." -- Dale Carnegie
    "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." --Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    Totally lurking so I hope you don't mind if I chime in! We bought our Graco Lauren crib from walmart for $150. I think it is gorgeous and sturdy. The same exact crib can be found at baby stores for much more money. I don't think a ton of money needs to be spent, as long as it is safe and you like it! Target and walmart are great places to find nice, affordable cribs IMO.

• Options
    imageMrs. Mo:
    imageJanimal:

Agreed. With all the safety regulations out there, I wouldn't want to trust someone to make one. What if he made one that was obvioulsy not up to code? Would they guilt you into using it? Most likely. So, to avoid this, just tell them you are buying one. Also, you can try looking at Amazon.com for cribs. We got one cheaper there (+ free 2 day shipping) than BRU was selling it for.

I will have to look at Amazon! Thanks!
  • Options
    imageMedtwin:

I agree with PP.. i actually bought a graco at Target..it was a good deal.. $150..and i know alot of ladies on the bump who bought same one.. it's a good crib..sturdy & is sold at BRU as well.. for a little higher price..

You can always say that you & your DH want to buy the cribs yourself..and they'll be plenty of other stuff they can build or buy for you.. how about a rocking horse..then if it takes him 5 years to build it..it's ok..LOL

• Options
    imageJanimal:

This exactly!

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    imagemorsey2011:
    imageMedtwin:

Okay.. my stupid computer posted this before I could put my comment. Love the horse comment, lol. Very true.

• Options
    I have this issue with my mother. She is constantly insisting I buy this crib or that crib. At one point she told me I should buy a round crib at a price of $1100!! I pointed out that I have 4 other children with needs and her response was if I can afford to have another baby, I can afford to spend that kind of money. Needless to say, my husband and I are getting an Ikea crib for $119.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Options

imageCactusGirl:
    Totally lurking so I hope you don't mind if I chime in! We bought our Graco Lauren crib from walmart for $150. I think it is gorgeous and sturdy. The same exact crib can be found at baby stores for much more money. I don't think a ton of money needs to be spent, as long as it is safe and you like it! Target and walmart are great places to find nice, affordable cribs IMO.

Don't mind you chiming in at all! I found a crib at Wal-mart online, and it matches near perfectly to the other two pieces of furniture we have for the nursery. I really like it and is about $200 than the other ones my in-laws saw.

• Options
    We went to BRU looking at cribs, and I have to say I was sticker shock.  We too really want a convertible bed, so it's more like we are making an investment for our child instead of just buying a crib.  We didn't even add one from there to our registry because I wanted to look at target first.  We found a very nice convertible crib at target for $190, probably about half as much as the ones at BRU.  We will definitely be buying a crib from Target!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Our crib is in that price range. My feeling is that as long as it is safe, it really doesn't matter how much it cost. The baby is only in a crib for a few years anyway...
    After 2 years of TTC, our daughter was born on Oct 31, 2011!
    7lbs 13oz  20 inches long
    image"Lilypie">

• Options
    Ikea buyers here. We got the crib and changing table this weekend, $136 for the crib (turns into a toddler bed IF needed) and $70 for the changing table. DH put them together in maybe 1 1/2 hours. Super  sturdy and they look really nice. Nicer than I even thought.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Slings at Nurtured Family
  • Options

We haven't bought our crib yet but we picked out a Graco at BRU that was only $180 and I would not even consider spending more for one and I don't consider it to be cheap it seems rather sturdy compared to some of the more expensive ones that they have there.  I still have to look to see if anyone else has it for cheaper and if they do then I will get it from there instead.  I think as long as you are buying a good brand and like the crib it shouldn't matter where you get it from or how little you spend on it. 

My husband originally was thinking of building the crib with his father but his father actually shot down that idea.  He felt that even though you can find the required safety specifications for the crib you might be setting yourself up for trouble if anything were to happen to the baby while they are in the crib (even if it were something that would have happened in a store bought crib).  People overreact when it comes to the simplest things now days. 

• Options

I'm hoping for a solid wood crib. I wanted to get that one from graco because it's pretty and such a great deal, but then I started reading about formaldehyde in pressed wood and decided that the crib we will get can't be pressed wood.  Here's some info from the EPA

I would just tell your MIL that you need the crib before 36 weeks so you'd prefer to just purchase one, and show her good reviews of a few cribs.  That can be pretty compelling.

• Options
    Ha. I am not even getting a crib. It will be a pack-n-play for this baby! I bet that would make you feel REAL cheap huh? ;)
  • Options

We bought the Nursery 101 Baby Deluxe collection at Target. The whole collection cost $268 - crib, dresser, and changing table. I looked at who their parent company is and it is La Jloie who gets an A in Baby Bargains. So I think that although ours was cheap we picked out a good one :)

Go and get yourself a Target crib :)

• Options

First of all, good for you for being responsible with your money!  More expensive does not always equal safer.  You can buy perfectly good, safe cribs at Target.  Read some of the reviews to see if parents had a hard time putting them together, etc.  I would definitely not put my baby in a crib that someone made.  There are safety standards (JPMA?) for cribs and who knows if your FIL would even know about them. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagecanadiansciencegeek:

I agree with PPs about the safety implications of a hand made crib.  And if you feel like a hillbilly for spending $150 on a crib... I spent $100 at IKEA, another $100 on the dresser that will double as her changing table and $60 on a bookshelf.  I love all of it!  

And for another PP who mentioned wanting a wood crib - just about all the components of the IKEA crib are solid wood. 

Well, it isn't just the crib situation that makes me feel like a "hillbilly". Lol. I'm from the South, so they're always teasing me about my southern traditions and accent. Probably just me being sensitive on that part of it. But they do make us feel like we are cheap a lot!
  • Options
    imagealiciaroset:

I'm hoping for a solid wood crib. I wanted to get that one from graco because it's pretty and such a great deal, but then I started reading about formaldehyde in pressed wood and decided that the crib we will get can't be pressed wood.  Here's some info from the EPA

I would just tell your MIL that you need the crib before 36 weeks so you'd prefer to just purchase one, and show her good reviews of a few cribs.  That can be pretty compelling.

check out ikea. solid wood and recycleble

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Slings at Nurtured Family
  • Options

Let MIL know that cheap doesn't always equal cheaply made. Some of the expensive stuff falls apart fast while the cheap stuff last forever.

We were lucky enough to have a friend who handed down to us a beautiful crib that her daughter just grew out of. But before we knew she was giving it to us, we had settled on a crib at Target for $250 which had an attached changing table. I had researched reviews and no one had anything bad to say about it at all. It is the one we would have gotten if not for the hand me down. 

And ditto about having someone make a crib. I guess it would depend on their capability but it is not as easy as making 4 walls with a bottom....

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"