Natural Birth
Options

Need some encouragement re: posterior baby

Currently my baby is posterior.  I know it still has time to turn, but I can't shake my fear of back labor- I don't know why!  I didn't have any with DD and I have read so many stories of how awful back labor is and how slowly it can progress and all that...I know I shouldn't have but I let it get under my skin!

I'm practicing Hypnobabies and am doing repeated fear-clearing sessions on this topic, but it isn't helping.  I just need to hear it from others that even if baby doesn't turn, I'll be okay! 

PS- I've been on my hands/knees for hours over the last several days.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Need some encouragement re: posterior baby

• Options

I had back labor and I survived :) I'm also planning on going med free again so that should give you some encouragement, I hope.

I'm not gonna lie- it was very painful. (warning- description) Sometimes I felt like I had a machete in my back. But what really helped me was counterpressure! I had DH press on my lower back SO hard and I also had to have water. I had the showerhead spray my lower back or I soaked in the tub. The combination of those things helped me immensely. DS turned enough that he was in the right position when he came out :) Just try to keep active as much as you can and continue with the positive words and visualization- you can do it!

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• Options
    Two of my three babies have been posterior and I have survived them both.  You'll be fine.  Are you planning a water birth?  The water really helped to make my back labor manageable the last time!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Can you find someone in your area who does Rebozo techniques? It's supposed to help shift babies, I think it's also called sifting? And you might also want to try knee to chest, ie getting your hips higher than your head while starting from hands and knees.

Good luck! DS1 was posterior, and I didn't have back labor with him.

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options

pulsatilla is a great homeopathic for change.  i have used it with success to move baby's position.  you can do it!

• Options

My son was posterior and I had a mostly natural birth.  My water broke and I had no contractions whatsoever for nearly 72 hours and ultimately accepted two doses of cytotec but no further intervention from that point on once contractions started.

It was my first, so obviously I don't know anything different.  Actually, my midwife didn't confirm for me until after he was born that he was posterior because she didn't want me to get discouraged, so all I knew while I was in labor was that pain was pain.  My son was born 5 hours after my first contraction, so back labor doesn't necessarily mean a long labor, although I don't know if my labor was so short because that's just how my body works or how much of a role the cytotec played.

Anyway, do your best to think positive.  It is entirely possible and you can do it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

DD was posterior and although the pain was unimaginable, you wouldn't have been able to tell: short labor, short transition, short pushing stage, etc. 

You can do it!! 

BabyGaga
    Pregnancy # 6
    4 missed chances
    2 loving children
    1 on the way
  • Options
    Thank you, ladies.  I looked up a Rebozo tutorial on spinning babies and will be having DH do it daily (I live in the sticks, no natural healing arts of any kind around here).  Also going to focus on my positive affirmations and visualization.  This fear seems to have come out of nowhere and I want to put it in its place.  Texas77, I will ask my MW about that homeopathic tomorrow.  Thanks!
  • Options

Most babies who are posterior either turn themselves before or during labor. I think that's like 80%, so you are most likely in luck!

Me, however... my DD was posterior and did not turn at all. I had a failed epidural and although it was horribly painful, I did survive and I was not scared out of natural childbirth. In fact, since I know that I can do that - give birth under one of those most painful of circumstances - I know I can do anything. You can, too. :)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Options
    I had a successful natural birth with a posterior baby. The back labor was awful, but manageable. I had DH pushing very hard counterpressure in my loser back. My OB had me turn to my left side right before pushing and that was when he turned. It was the strangest feeling I've ever experienced and also the most painful contraction of the entire day. Pushing was easier than that I thought. I have been through labor twice and I was more in control of my contractions, and went naturally, with my posterior DS than with my correctly positioned DD. Good luck!
  • Options

imageFyshWyfe:
    Thank you, ladies.  I looked up a Rebozo tutorial on spinning babies and will be having DH do it daily (I live in the sticks, no natural healing arts of any kind around here).  Also going to focus on my positive affirmations and visualization.  This fear seems to have come out of nowhere and I want to put it in its place.  Texas77, I will ask my MW about that homeopathic tomorrow.  Thanks!

if your mw uses homeopathics talk to her about that.  there are specific ones for everything!  pulsatilla, like i mentioned, for change.  sepia for certain fears.  gelsenium for cervical opening.  ant tart for wet lungs on a baby.  chamomile for calming...etc. 

• Options
    imageTexas77again:

imageFyshWyfe:

if your mw uses homeopathics talk to her about that.  there are specific ones for everything!  pulsatilla, like i mentioned, for change.  sepia for certain fears.  gelsenium for cervical opening.  ant tart for wet lungs on a baby.  chamomile for calming...etc. 

Yes, she's very big on homeopathics but I haven't really needed any b/c this pregnancy has been textbook and easy.  This is the first time I've wanted to even call her b/w visits!  I'll call her in a little while.  Thanks again.  

• Options
    it's not that bad well it's bad but it just happens.  DS didn't turn and he still came out fairly fast I went into early labor right before dinner wasn't really sure that was it at the time.  My Back was what hurt but I only pushed for a few min and he came out just fine.
    Me DOR amh .64 ng/mL  
    DH Brain Cancer
    BFP #1 12/11/08 DS born 8/23/09
    BFP#2 10/13/11 DC 11/4/11
    BFP#3 12/6/13 Lost 12/29/13
    Told IVF is the only option and have not found a clinic that will take me.

• Options

My baby was OP, and it wasn't that bad. DH and my doula used a lot of counterpressure with contractions and I spent pretty much my whole labour on my hands and knees. I tried water, and didn't like it. I tried changing position, but I didn't want to.

You just do what feels right and eventually you get a baby.

• Options
    I got the pulsatilla.  Also doing more positive affirmations and feeling good about it.  Thanks, y'all!
  • Options
    oooooh!  oooooh!   did she recommend the pulsatilla too?  where did you find it?  so excited for you!  err..ummm...hope you don't need it though.
  • Options

imageTexas77again:
    oooooh!  oooooh!   did she recommend the pulsatilla too?  where did you find it?  so excited for you!  err..ummm...hope you don't need it though.

We have a place called The Health Food Cottage and they actually had it in stock- I was surprised.  Is it supposed to make me feel kind of tingly?  I took 4 little pills but I think next time I'll take 3.  I've never actually taken homeopathic remedies so I'm excited but don't really know what to expect.  

• Options

DS had been turning around before labor so at one appointment he was posterior, at the next he wasn't - he ended up coming out completely posterior which was not what I was expecting!  The labor was more painful than my DD's but he was born at home without any interventions - he was also a big baby at 9lb 5oz so no matter what just know it can be done!! 

I found counter pressure to be extremely helpful, my doula was pushing on my lower back for about 2 hours while I was pushing.  Also, laying on my side was the best position I could find and I think that did help me a lot. 

imageimage 
  • Options
    imageManderlin923:

I had back labor and I survived :) I'm also planning on going med free again so that should give you some encouragement, I hope.

I'm not gonna lie- it was very painful. (warning- description) Sometimes I felt like I had a machete in my back. But what really helped me was counterpressure! I had DH press on my lower back SO hard and I also had to have water. I had the showerhead spray my lower back or I soaked in the tub. The combination of those things helped me immensely. DS turned enough that he was in the right position when he came out :) Just try to keep active as much as you can and continue with the positive words and visualization- you can do it!

THIS! Yes, it did feel like someone was stabbing me in the back at times, but when DH rubbed/massaged my back, it HELPED so much! Don't get yourself worried. There are a ton of us that made it through back labor without an epi. I was given pitocin to "speed" up my labor and was still able to go pain med-free. Good luck to you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"