Natural Birth
Options

Hospital Tour Questions

My BF suggested today that we do a hospital tour of the hospital I will be transferred to in case of an emergency which is directly across the street from our birth center. I never thought of doing a hospital tour and now I'm wondering if maybe we should.

Questions I have:

Has anyone toured a hospital even though they were going with a birth center or a home birth? Do you need to provide hospital the backup OB's information? And if we do tour the emergency hospital should we also tour the hospital I will be transferred to in the case of a non-emergency?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hospital Tour Questions

• Options

Each hospital is different.  We're doing a hospital birth and I think the only info we had to provide for the tour was our name, address and phone number.  That makes sense since you could be doing a tour to evaluate and decide on a hospital in the first place.

We only had to provide OB and other information when we did our pre-registration.  I don't know if you would need to do any pre-registration or anything if you were planning for a birth center birth and only using the hospital for emergencies, but that is a question I would ask on the tour.

I do think a tour is a good idea.  Hopefully, you won't have to go to the hospital with your plan.  But if you do, it is already going to be a somewhat tense situation so why not be as prepared as you can be and a little familiar with the place.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm planning to tour the back-up hospital that I would be transferred to if anything went wrong at the birth center. I want to be prepared and feel like I know where I'd be headed in case of an emergency.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We toured hospitals (wound up only going to one but scheduled at 3) before we even decided where to deliver.  So yes I think it's a good idea. If nothing else you'd be in a familar place should you have to be transferred for an emergency. 
  • Options
    I think a tour is a good idea. Each hospital will be different, but the tour I went on you did not have to provide any information for the tour, you just showed up at the scheduled time.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thank you for the responses, very helpful.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"