Special Needs
Options

ABA and Floortime?

We're trying to set up therapies for DS, and the developmental pediatrician recommended trying both ABA and Floortime. Very few agencies where we live do Floortime, and none in our service area, so we'll need to go privately if we can. I'm curious if others have done both therapies? How did it work for your child? Also, how did you work it in terms of time (i.e. 50% ABA, 50% Floortime or some other ratio)? The recommendation for was 12-15 hours of therapy a week at his age, and I'm not sure how to split it up. TIA

Re: ABA and Floortime?

• Options
    I don't have any experience with this as a parent, but I'm a behavioral therapist working on becoming a board certified behavior analyst, and i would recommend splitting them 50/50 at least at first.  There are ardent supporters of each method and I've heard of conferences where presenters all but get into shouting matches.  To be honest, I think that these methods both have things in common and can really compliment each other.  I'm not that familiar with floortime but I do know that your ABA provider should definitely incorporate certain floortime strategies into things like when they pair with your child (this is done to build rapport).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"