North Florida Babies

Has anyone given birth at St. Vincint's in Jacksonville?

This is my first pregnancy and I have been attending North Florida OB/GYN since I found out that I was pregnant (I'm about 29 weeks). However, I have also had a consultation at Fruitful Vine Midwifery. To preface, I am completely healthy with no known risks. On the one hand I am very interested in natural child birth, I don't want interventions or unnecessary medications. On the other hand, as I have never given birth before, I'm nervous about going to a birthing center and going completely natural and I like the security that a hospital birth offers. Has anyone given birth at St. Vincint's and what was the experience like? I cannot seem to find any reviews of their maternity ward and would like to know from someone who has been there.

Re: Has anyone given birth at St. Vincint's in Jacksonville?

• chmanachmana member

I gave birth to my daughter at St. Vincent's in Jacksonville last July. The hospital and it's nurses were wonderful. I enjoyed my experience there. My husband stayed overnight in my room and it was great.

I had a vaginal birth with no complications. My DD was my first child. Make sure you go to the birth session about the hospital and where to go. That helped my DH and I.

Good Luck!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have doula'd a couple of births at St. V's, and while they are very nice, they are VERY pro-intervention and not natural childbirth friendly. Additionally, they require that the baby "transitions" in the nursery for a couple of hours after the birth.  If you're planning a natural birth, it may not be ideal for you.

When I was pregnant with my son, I REALLY wanted to transfer care to Fruitful Vine, but decided to have my first in the hospital, 2nd in birth center.  Unfortunately, I ended up with an (unnecessary) cesarean, and will never get a birth center birth.  I would change that decision if I could.  

ALSO! Adarlingzta did deliver her first at FV and had a great experience.

However, what's most important is feeling comfortable at your place of birth, whether that is home, birth center or hospital. Good luck! 

BFP 1/6/12 TTC#2 since June 2010 Diagnosed PCOS and started Metformin December 2011 BabyFruit Ticker DS1 - Jack 9/28/08 Birth Doula and ICAN Leader
  • Loading the player...
  • As kimberjeb said, I had my son at FV. I was a little nervous until I met them. I could not have been more pleased with my whole experience. Truly, I know if something would have come up in labor, they would have transferred us in a skinny minute.  For me, it came down to knowing I could handle the natural birth I wanted. Once I had faith in my body and in the midwives, it was all good =)  I did read the Bradley Method book and took the birth prep class that was taught at FV. Huge help too. 

I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have about FV. 

Amy 

• I meant to add to my comment above. I natural, med free, low intervention hospital birth is much more likely if you have a doula. There are some great ones in the area! 

I (and several other girls on here) used Heather Palmer. Kimberjeb from the previous post is taking new clients too. If you need help finding someone, just ask back here =) 

• I really hadn't even considered a doula, but that might be just the right solution. What exactly do they do and how much do they cost? Just ot let you know, my husband and Mom will both be with me and they both know my wishes and I have also submitted a birth plan to my OB/GYN and plan to take another to the hospital if that is where I go.

• a doula is a non-medical support person. in my case, she educated me about choices, give us information on different positions for labor, was just a great resource of information and help. She helped my DH be a better coach for me. Was another person to pour water on my belly in the tub =). Just an all around support person. While they can't advocate for you, they can be a buffer. When presented with an epidural in the hospital, they can ask you and your partner if that is what you really want instead of allowing you to feel pressured as many mommas do. 

Im sure Kimberjeb can answer more technically. I just know that interventions have been shown to be significantly reduced with a doula present. Section rates are far lower from what I understand.  I think a doula is a great choice regardless of birthing location. 

As for cost, each is different. I don't remember what we paid for heather (probably one of the most sought after doulas in the area) but she was worth every penny. Ones that are just starting out may be free while they are still learning or very reasonable. Many with work with your budget as they truly believe that every woman should have support during labor.

• www.dona.org gives the exact description of a doula, but, basically it can change from birth to birth.

My last birth the daddy wasn't there, so I was very hands on with the mom.  I helped her change positions, sprayed water on her in the shower, rubbed her back for hours, encouraged her when she wanted to give up, etc.  (Her cousin was there and was great with distraction/emotional support). 

The one before that? The mom was very self contained, had been there/done it before.  She climbed into the tub at the birth center, squatted for about 15 minutes and then caught her baby girl.  I took video. 

Before that, a mix of the two with some advocacy "Would you like to talk privately about that decision" and reminders of their wishes.  

It depends on the couple and the labor. A doula does everything - emotional support, physical support, research, provides knowledge and explanations, errand running, position changes, distraction. I bring a bag with various comfort remedies, plus chapstick (new ones), hair bands, face wipes, whatever.  I bring my camera.   Your mom and your husband are emotionally involved in the birth.  They may get distracted because of their OWN feelings.  The nurses and doctors are in charge of multiple women and are busy.  A doula is there for you and YOUR birth.

I think Heather Palmer now costs $650 or $700, but I could go wrong.  Amy - I believe she was $500 when our boys were born.  Cecilia Miller is also a wonderful doula.  If you are interested in free - www.thebirthcompany.com keeps a list of available volunteer, doulas in training.  I'm on there:-)

BFP 1/6/12 TTC#2 since June 2010 Diagnosed PCOS and started Metformin December 2011 BabyFruit Ticker DS1 - Jack 9/28/08 Birth Doula and ICAN Leader
  • If you are going to deliver at St. V's, meet in advance with Priscilla Lagmay.  She's the nurse manager and have her sign off on your birth plan. It's basically required for the nurses to listen to you.  That is PARTICULARLY if you don't want the baby taken away for transition.  Otherwise, they WILL take the baby from your arms and walk away. 

• I absolutely loved everything about my experience at St.Vs! The doctors and nurses are all great!
  • I can't tell you anything about St. Vincent's, but if you decide to use a doula, I agree with adarlingzta - Heather Harper Palmer is fabulous.  We used her with my son and we're using her again this time.  I love her, she's worth every penny. 

kimberjeb is new to the doula-ing world, but I'd bet she's great too.  She is a friend of mine and I'd definitely recommend her :)

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Hi!  Could not help myself but to respond to this post.  I work at St. Vincents and can assure you that we work with many mothers who have birth plans and try to accomodate within reason, while ensuring the safe and healthy delivery of baby.  If you have specific requests it is important to talk to your physician prior to delivery and you can schedule an appt with one of our nurse managers or charge nurse to discuss your birth plan. Also, we do not "take the baby from your arms and walk away" after delivery as was posted.  Unless of course there was something wrong.  The baby stays in the room for one hour and than is brought to nursery to be assessed and bathed.  As far as transition in the nursery they have been trying to minimize the time the baby is away from mother, usually an hour or so.  However, there are some circumstances that prevent baby from coming back out to room (low temperature, breathing difficulties, monitoring blood sugar) that you must keep in mind.  Anyway, hope that helps!  Good luck! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"