Upstate NY Babies
Options

*MrsWhite*

Hey I posted this on the multiples board, but wanted your opinion as well.

So assuming the girls are healthy after delivery (hopefully they will be since I've had the steroid shots and my c/s is at 38 weeks), I assume that after they are delivered they'll clean them all up and take them to the nursery or wherever to check them out while I'm getting all stitched back up.

After I'm stitched up and brought back to my room, will they bring the babies into my room right away?

The reason I've been thinking about this is because I'm getting paranoid that my MIL and mom will get to hold and bond with the babies before I even do because I'll still be in surgery, and I really don't want that to happen. I want at least 10 minutes after the c-section where it's just me, DH and the babies before the moms come in.

Do you think this is reasonable? 

Also if you want to give me any more advice/comments/words of wisdom etc. on twins or a c section, I'll take it! LOL! 

photo 41f1f21b-fd5b-40ab-bc31-76a13e270270_zpscf391ac9.jpg
After 2 years, Injects, PCOS diagnosis and 2 IUI's, we were blessed with our beautiful twin girls!
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Baby Girl #3!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: *MrsWhite*

• Options

So I'm not MrsWhite, but your concerns were seriously one of my big freakouts before having the baby.  I stressed to my husband so many times that if I ended up with a c-section or anything like that, that he was to go with her and no one was to see, much less hold her before I/we did.  And I wanted like an hour alone.  I didn't end up with a c-section and I don't think we got an hour, but I have no clue of the time that we did have, since I held her or DH did while things were being cleaned up and I got stitches.  But I wasn't as concerned about the time then.  It was really that no one else interfered before we held her. 

What I would do if I was you, I would make sure that the nurses know your wishes, that no one holds your girls before you or DH.  I feel like now that I look back, I can't really imagine a nurse just handing over a baby to a random person (even if they know it's the grandmother) but I was so worried about that too.  

Sorry to butt in, but wanted you to know that you aren't being unreasonable! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyName Ticker
  • Options

awwww - im not having twins and would love to know how this works, but aww you made me cry this am thinking you wouldnt be the first to hold your babies.  I hope Mrs White has positive and reassuring info and advice for you. Sorry for butting in to a private conversation!  GL to you all.

DubChick

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am an aunt to 2 sets of twins and a c-sec mom  :-)  To my understanding, the babies will stay in the same room as you the entire time unless they need to be checked out by the NICU.  Once they are born, they will be checked out by thier own teams of nurses, be weighed, wiped and wrapped while you are being closed up.  Your DH may hold a baby or two before you, but in my experience DH was sitting at my head holding my baby to me so I could see.  Then the babies were wheeled to revocery with me.  My sister had her boys @ 36wks via c-sec and she had them with her the entire time (until later anyway) and my SIL had her twins natural @ 34.5 weeks and they were with her the entire time as well.  I am pretty certain they will not take the babies out of the OR and handing them off to waiting relatives without you!
  • Options

OMGosh you're 36 weeks! eek! Congrats!

The babies were born and DH went to take pics/watch them get cleaned up and weighed. I got stitched up and then wheeled into my recovery room. I wasn't keeping a good temp so they put a warming blanket on me and made sure i was comfortable. Then DH came in with the babies. B wasn't keeping a good temp either so they told us they wanted to take him to the warmer but we could keep him for an hour. We took about 15 mins, just the 4 of us. Then we were allowed to bring people in the room, 4 at a time (we had 21 people in the waiting room). After about 90 mins, they took the babies to get warm/testing/baths and I got to rest. All of our families went and watched the babies through the nursery glass and then some came in to say hi to me.  After a few hours, the nurse came in and "bathed" me (weeeeird) and took me to the suite where we would be staying for the weekend. (They put us in one for free for having twins, it was awesome)

I don't have too, too much advice. I laughed when the mult. board ladies called the 1st few weeks "survival mode". They weren't kidding. Women with 1 baby complain they get no sleep... With twins, someone was always up. It was an assembly line, lol. Feed 1, Change 1, Feed 2, Change 2, swaddle 1, swaddle 2, sleep. I tried to get them on the same schedule but I found it really overwhelming for them both to wake up hungry, screaming at the same time all night long. The best is, if you can get them to wake up like 1/2 an hour apart. So Nat would wake up at like 2 and I'd be juuust finished feeding/changing her and B would wake up.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    For my c/s DH and the baby went to the nursery to be cleaned up...then all three of us met up in the recovery room where we bonded and called family. They then came when I was in my actual room. Honestly - to remove all worry ...since you have enough to think about -Just be upfront with everyone and say you'll let them know when you are out of recovery and in your own room-THEN they are welcome to come in and visit. If you think it will be a huge deal, then say you think it's hospital policy that visitors aren't allowed in recovery. They'll just have to wait a couple of hours...they'll deal :)
  • Options
    Everyone already has helpful replies - but I will just tell you that if they are both doing fine, and you are too, you should be able to hold them before they take them to the nursery to be checked out and bathed, etc.  After that, they will either bring them straight back to you in your room, or DH can go get them from the nursery.  The only two people that will have access to get them out of the nursery are you and DH.  So even if visitors come while you are still recovering, the only thing they will be able to do is look at them through the glass.
  • Options

Thank you so much to everyone who replied!!!!! I really appreciate it, and feel much better now. Honestly I'm not worried so much about my mom because I'm telling her my feelings straight up and she can deal with it. I'm more worried about my MIL....She's like ready to tear these babies out of me now. Confused But I just talked to Dh and he said he'll talk to her too.

Melanie - thanks for the info about the scheduling. Makes total sense and I'm really going to work on that. I guess another saving grace is that I don't have another child to worry about like you do!!! You're a saint lady!!!!  I'm sure I'll be asking you tons of questions when they are here!!!!

photo 41f1f21b-fd5b-40ab-bc31-76a13e270270_zpscf391ac9.jpg
    After 2 years, Injects, PCOS diagnosis and 2 IUI's, we were blessed with our beautiful twin girls!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Baby Girl #3!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"