Breastfeeding
Options

Breast Pump Question?

How long did you breast feed naturally before using the pump? I'm just asking because I don't want to be engorged?  I'm hoping for the best but you never know. Indifferent

Re: Breast Pump Question?

• Options

I hate to tell you, but almost everyone will get some degree of engorgement when your milk comes in. But it's really not the end of the world....it was less than 24 hours of mild pain for me each time.  Compared to L&D recovery it's the least of your worries.

I started pumping around 4 weeks with DD, 2 weeks with DS to build a stash. I did use a hand pump earlier just to take some pressure off/soften nipples for latching.

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I bf'd for 2 weeks before pumping, but I was planning to wait longer.  I had a major low supply and needed to pump after each feeding to try to up it and to have something for ds to eat after bfing.  I, unfortunately, did not get engorged (hence the low supply).  I think if you pump to relieve engorgement, then your body thinks you need that much and will continue to make it...just a guess though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks, this helps out a bunch, it sounds like I should wait until about a month to even think of pumping. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"