Upstate NY Babies

I'm so shaken up right now.

It was a great weekend, we were just getting home from a bike ride (DH, DS, and myself) and about to put DS to bed.... when a domestic disturbance broke out two houses down from us. These neighbors have a history with police involvement-the police were in fact there two nights ago.

Well, tonight the husband was screaming in their driveway at his wife, then a male neighbor got involved and it became even more elevated. I thought they were going to start physically going after each other. I called family members who are in the police and they told me to call 911. I called, and they told me they already had calls come in from other neighbors. Then three police cars speed down the street with sirens and spotlights/search lights. They see the man and immediately get him in handcuffs before asking any questions. To make a long story short, they did not arrest him. Apparently he has a mental health disorder and is not on his medication.

This is about the sixth encounter (that we know of) since they bought the house about a year ago, that was on a grand enough scale to get the whole neighborhood involved. I feel so badly for the wife and their two young kids.

I am also scared of this man. He glared at out house tonight (while on top of the police car). I think he knew we called. He is clearly unstable and I'm worried about being alone with DS all day and him confronting me about it tomorrow. He has verbally attacked two other neighbors-one women who lives alone and a man across the street. I just don't know what he is capable of.

It is crazy to me thay we are dealing with this in our neighborhood. I grew up here-bought a house right down the street from my parent's house. It has always been a very safe, nice place to live. But I know that domestic violence can happen anywhere.... 

I am still a bit shaken up, and at this late hour I can't really call anyone. Thanks for letting me vent ladies...I really needed it. 

Re: I'm so shaken up right now.

• Wow that sounds really scary.  I think you can call the police station and request extra patrols in your neighborhood if you are feeling unsafe.  Keep the door locked when your inside and just be extra aware.  I'm sure you will be fine but I'm sure it's really scary to think about.
    DD1: 3/31/10 DD2: 9/7/11
  • alex04alex04 member
    that's so scary.   have you thought about getting some pepper spray or something to carry around?  maybe that would make you worry a little less when you're alone
  • Loading the player...
  • wendyjwendyj member
    That is very scary. When you're home, keep your doors locked and always have a phone nearby. Hopefully this man will get the help he needs, for his sake and the sake of his family.
  • EJDIIIEJDIII member
    Thanks ladies....I'm not typically easily rattled. I was a Family Therapist before becoming a SAHM, and have seen and heard a lot. This is 1) just a little too close to home, and 2) this man from day one has given me the creeps (to put a name to it, I feel as though he may have anti-social personality disorder). It seems as though they may be going through a divorce/separation from what I could make out last night. Hopefully, she will get a restraining order and he will leave his family in peace-may be wishful thinking. I just hope my little quiet neighborhood and drama-free life return to normal very soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"