Upstate NY Babies
Options

Healthy Living Girls!

Help! I need quick breakfast ideas!

I suck at eating breakfast - I have a cup of coffee and go straight to lunch. This obv affects my metabolism so I need to change it up! Today I realized I forgot to eat - and then had a small bowl of Special K @ 11.

What are your favs? What are your quickies?

Anything else to share today?

I'm all set up for the treadmill in a bit, just waiting for the Tylenol to kick in :)

Re: Healthy Living Girls!

• Options
    wendyjwendyj member

I've been horrible about exercising. I have a million excuses, and no real solutions right now :-( Plus, I didn't eat very well for dinner last night, and now my digestive system is rebelling (sorry if TMI). I guess my body is used to me eating healthy!

For breakfast during the week, I do YoPlus yogurt and a banana. It's really yummy and I somehow haven't gotten sick of it. And it somehow really manages to keep me satisfied all morning.

On weekends, I'm a bit looser about breakfast since I know I'll be really active either cleaning, doing yardwork, or running around with Ian. I tend to have a bigger bowl of high fiber cereal and some fruit.

• Options

Are you an egg person? They heat up really well. I make DH eggs every night and put them in tupperware for him to stick in the micro before work. You can scramble all kinds of vegs in!

How about oatmeal with fruit and almonds mixed in?

I've been big on those whole wheat "bagel thins" they are like 110 calories and I'll smear it with some PB or light veggie cream cheese. They're so yummy.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

What is the best/healthiest yogurt to eat?

I have issues with aspartame - the aftertaste really bugs me. So light yogurts just don't cut it for me...but I don't want to have like 25-30+ grams of sugar either!!

• Options
    imageTelyco:

I have issues with aspartame - the aftertaste really bugs me. So light yogurts just don't cut it for me...but I don't want to have like 25-30+ grams of sugar either!!

Greek yogurt is the best choice but the texture (and cost) aren't for me. I love light and fit- I dont think there's aspartame and there's like 10-12 grams of sugar. They just busted out some awesome summer flavors (pineapple & key lime are my faves)

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    wendyjwendyj member
    imageTelyco:

I hate the artificial sweeteners, too. The YoPlus only has 15g of sugars per 4 oz. serving. For 6 oz., Stoneyfield has somewhere around 20g of sugars.

• Options
    I've been making myself smoothies, which I really enjoy. I get all the frozen fruit (just fruit, not syup): peaches, cherries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries. I put a banana, a small handful of each of the frozen fruit, 1/2 cup of plain yogurt (I've been using Wegmans Super yogurt) and some spinach, plus a little bit of juice/water/milk to blend. On weight watchers all fruits and most veggies are 0 pts, so I figuring this at about 5 pts based on my juice and yogurt. Plus it is a nice way to hide a veggie.
    image        image
  • Options

ok, this isn't quick, but you can make it the night before... steel cut oats, they are my new fave! I've always tried to like oatmeal, and would eat it a few times a week because I know it's good for me... blah, blah, blah. I tried the steel cut for the first time this week, and they really are good! You can buy them in bulk at Wegmans (for cheap) and I just used a recipe I googled- here. I had mine this morning with 1/2 sliced banana, some chopped pecans, a dash of cinnamon and a drizzle of pure maple syrup. It makes a ton, and they keep really well in the fridge. Just warm in the microwave and thin w/ milk or water if needed. Evan loves them too! They are higher in fiber, and really do fill you up and keep you full. Whole grain are great in the morning to get your metabolism going. I've just been trying to eat with Evan... he always eats breakfast, lunch and dinner plus a couple snacks... so I just eat with him... we just split a bowl of ff cottage cheese w/ fresh strawberries and pineapple!

I can't wait for dinner tonight- chicken gyros w/ homemade whole wheat pitas and greek salads! 

• Options
    imageTelyco:

I buy plain yogurt (fat free) and add my own fruit and a little honey to sweeten it. I also don't like aspartame (it's all chemicals, and really not good for you so I'm trying to cut it out of our diets) I either buy the Wegmans super yogurt in the large container, or the individual greek yogurt, because I get a lot of good coupons for it. The greek yogurt is good, because it's higher in protein... but it's thick and some people don't like the texture. I really like it for Evan cuz he doesn't make as much of a mess with it.

And, I also love "green monster" smoothies for breakfast. 1/2c plain yogurt, splash of milk, banana (I like to keep a few cut up and frozen for smoothies) and whatever other fruit you like... berries and/or fresh pineapple is good. Then throw in a handful of baby spinach leaves and blend it all up. Now that the berries are getting good, you really don't even need to sweeten it.. but I sometimes add a drizzle of honey and a little vanilla extract to mine. 

• Options

Thanks ladies!

I do like eggs but I typically save those for lunch or dinner because I like to drop my carb intake as the day goes on. I should pick up those flatbreads though because we also like to use those for turkey burger buns sometimes.

I need to go yogurt shopping :)

And I might try to make one of those smoothies - but I have never made them before! Should be interesting! Actually, I've never even had one before :)

I'm still deciding what DH and I are having for dinner - probably steak and some more veggies on the grill.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"