September 2011 Moms
Options

***UO Thursday***

Re: ***UO Thursday***

• Options
    imageitalnprncss78:
    imageMereou12:

imagePina:
    Based upon the poll I just did, it doesn't seem like there are many drinkers hanging around.... so this may be UO.... I don't think there is anything wrong with getting an overnight babysitter (which would be my mom or MIL) to babysit on occasion so me and DH can go out with friends for drinks in a bar.... and yes, on occasion get drunk.  If the baby is well cared for, I think it's fine to have some us time and I admit, we like to drink and socialize......and get drunk.  In my group of friends, this is not uncommon at all.  All of the children are always well taken care of and safe.....

I 10000% agree. Mom and Dad need their fun, too. So long as the kiddo is in a safe place with a responsible caretaker, I see nothing wrong with going out for a night of drinking. Life doesn't end when you have a baby!

I think most 2+ times moms (that do drink) will agree 100%.

Any chance all of us can get together for some cocktails? Smile

~ Josh & Jill, married 5/2/09 ~
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageitalnprncss78:
    imageTraycee1242:
    imagewomancake:
    imagedianamcu:

I think adults should be able to choose whether they wear a seatbelt or not without receiving a ticket for not wearing one.  However, I think if you're in an accident and are hurt from not wearing a seatbelt, then the insurance company should be able to limit your benefits.  There are consequences to your actions...

However, under 18, buckle up.

Totally agree.  I think everyone *should* wear their seatbelt, but it shouldn't be a law if you're over 18.  You're only putting yourself at risk.

Totally disagree with this... If I'm in an accident, and some moron who is not wearing their seatbelt is ejected from their car and dies instead of just having whiplash... I don't want to have to live with that. Its not fair. We need laws because some people are plain stupid.

Totally disagree also. Seatbelts save lives. PERIOD. There is no gray area.

See my earlier comment about my cousin who survived her accident because she *wasn't* wearing her seatbelt.  I believe she's the exception to the rule, but for me, that does make it a gray area.  To be clear--I am NOT advocating that people shouldn't wear seatbelts.  I always, always wear mine, and insist that anyone riding in my car do so as well.  Even though it was best for my cousin that she wasn't wearing hers, she flies in the face of the statistics that show that seatbelts DO save lives.  My issue is just with it becoming a legal issue.  I feel like if you want to be stupid and put yourself at risk, that's your right.  But I am a huge seatbelt advocate.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagevalzee:
    imagekleu9:

I think high school graduation parties are pointless. You have to literally TRY to fail high school. It makes me sad that there's far more emphasis on a 17 year old finishing algebra, american history, health and gym over a course of 4 years than there is on a 23 year old completing college level advanced spanish literature, pre-med chemistry, bio-med engineering courses, economic/finance courses etc.

I agree! And to add to it... pre-school graduations and 5th-grade graduations are ridiculous. 

but they make children happy... so IMO... i think they're really cute and special

• Options

imageKatywren:
    I am so sick of people being grossed out and judge-y about breastfeeding a baby past 1 year.  Breasts are not just fun-bags for your man's pleasure.  We are mammals and our offspring needs the nourishment our breasts provide.  We should be feeding them our milk for as long as it is beneficial to our child, either nutritionally or emotionally.  Suck yourself out of modern America and it wouldn't be a "woman's choice" it would be a necessity.  Period.  Now with the understanding that it is a modern world that we live in and we have a ton of choices to make to balance our modern lives, i'm not judging for whatever choice you have to make.  But to judge another woman for making a different choice is just as bad, or worse, considering what they are doing is actually hugely beneficial to their child's health.  Get over your prudish American mindset and let people do what's best for them, in peace.  The attitude that there is something wrong with breastfeeding has caused so many chronic health problems in our population, to the point where whole demographics don't breastfeed at all.  It's sad and people who are trying to make a statement about it are only trying to change our backwards society.

Well, You make a very strong argument here! And I applaud you for letting such a big opinion be heard.

I dont completely disagree with you here, I am going to breastfeed Isaac.Or at least give it my best, But my feeling toward an older child breastfeeding is that Its just weird once the child is mobile and can figure out its mommy's breast and such. On the other hand if a mother was to pump, and put it into a bottle/sippy cup, im all for it 100 percent. To me its just having the older child on the breast that I dont agree with. Still I stand behind everything that breast feeding stands for and think every mother should AT LEAST try it.

• Options
    imagewomancake:

imageKatywren:
    I am so sick of people being grossed out and judge-y about breastfeeding a baby past 1 year.  Breasts are not just fun-bags for your man's pleasure.  We are mammals and our offspring needs the nourishment our breasts provide.  We should be feeding them our milk for as long as it is beneficial to our child, either nutritionally or emotionally.  Suck yourself out of modern America and it wouldn't be a "woman's choice" it would be a necessity.  Period.  Now with the understanding that it is a modern world that we live in and we have a ton of choices to make to balance our modern lives, i'm not judging for whatever choice you have to make.  But to judge another woman for making a different choice is just as bad, or worse, considering what they are doing is actually hugely beneficial to their child's health.  Get over your prudish American mindset and let people do what's best for them, in peace.  The attitude that there is something wrong with breastfeeding has caused so many chronic health problems in our population, to the point where whole demographics don't breastfeed at all.  It's sad and people who are trying to make a statement about it are only trying to change our backwards society.

I've been trying SO hard to back off my breastfeeding soapbox, because I don't want to alienate people or piss them off, or make any mom feel bad for ff'ing.  But I heart you so much for everything you just said.  

I tried really hard not to make it about bf-ing or ff-ing.  The facts are out there and it's absolutely up to you to make an informed choice about what's best.  It's about us judging each other for the choices we make.  How dare another mother judge me for breastfeeding my 18month old?   

BTW.  I heart you too.  We both like to rock the boat now and then :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageKatywren:
    imagewomancake:

imageKatywren:

I've been trying SO hard to back off my breastfeeding soapbox, because I don't want to alienate people or piss them off, or make any mom feel bad for ff'ing.  But I heart you so much for everything you just said.  

I tried really hard not to make it about bf-ing or ff-ing.  The facts are out there and it's absolutely up to you to make an informed choice about what's best.  It's about us judging each other for the choices we make.  How dare another mother judge me for breastfeeding my 18month old?   

I wasn't going to comment on this one, but what the heck. I have a feeling you are talking about me & a post I had made before.

I am a BFing Mom, did with DS and will with this LO also. BUT...when your 18 mo old child can walk up to you and pull down your shirt and ask for the breast I feel, IMO that is too old to BF. You talk about a 'prudish American mindset', well we live IN America. And the norm is not have your toddler run off the playground for a sip of breastmilk in between playing on the slide. Again, just my opinion.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageitalnprncss78:
    imageKatywren:
    imagewomancake:

imageKatywren:

I wasn't going to comment on this one, but what the heck. I have a feeling you are talking about me & a post I had made before.

I am a BFing Mom, did with DS and will with this LO also. BUT...when your 18 mo old child can walk up to you and pull down your shirt and ask for the breast I feel, IMO that is too old to BF. You talk about a 'prudish American mindset', well we live IN America. And the norm is not have your toddler run off the playground for a sip of breastmilk in between playing on the slide. Again, just my opinion.

This is why in my previous post, I feel the way I do.  

• Options
    imageveronicafvr:
    imageitalnprncss78:
    imageMereou12:

imagePina:
    Based upon the poll I just did, it doesn't seem like there are many drinkers hanging around.... so this may be UO.... I don't think there is anything wrong with getting an overnight babysitter (which would be my mom or MIL) to babysit on occasion so me and DH can go out with friends for drinks in a bar.... and yes, on occasion get drunk.  If the baby is well cared for, I think it's fine to have some us time and I admit, we like to drink and socialize......and get drunk.  In my group of friends, this is not uncommon at all.  All of the children are always well taken care of and safe.....

I 10000% agree. Mom and Dad need their fun, too. So long as the kiddo is in a safe place with a responsible caretaker, I see nothing wrong with going out for a night of drinking. Life doesn't end when you have a baby!

I think most 2+ times moms (that do drink) will agree 100%.

Any chance all of us can get together for some cocktails? Smile

That sounds wonderful! I think after the LO's come we all Skype together & have a drink!! LOL!

• Options

imageKatywren:

i try not to comment on this subject because i have really strong opinions on it, but you just said everything i'm thinking!  

• Options
    imageitalnprncss78:
    imageKatywren:
    imagewomancake:

imageKatywren:
    I am so sick of people being grossed out and judge-y about breastfeeding a baby past 1 year.

I tend to agree with you. I think when they can run up and pull up your shirt to get to the boob then you should start exclusively pumping.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't like people who don't like animals.  I think there's something really wrong with a person (unless they had a bad experience or something explainable) if they don't like animals and I have a hard time trusting them.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagemrsmikey:
    I don't like people who don't like animals.  I think there's something really wrong with a person (unless they had a bad experience or something explainable) if they don't like animals and I have a hard time trusting them.

Yeah, I agree in terms of pets - but horses scare me though because they are so big Huh?  Anything that could squash me like a bug gets a dose of skepticism from me!!

Also related to animals, I think anyone who knowingly allows or causes an animal to suffer should be punished according to the same laws that apply to humans.  Dog, cat, infant, or whatever...that's a living, breathing creature and anyone that harms them on purpose is one sick f^ck that shouldn't be allowed to walk around on the street.  Guess we need bigger prisons.  I'm sick of seeing these measly $100 fines and such...

• Options
    imageamandaloren:
    imageitalnprncss78:
    imageKatywren:
    imagewomancake:

imageKatywren:
    I am so sick of people being grossed out and judge-y about breastfeeding a baby past 1 year.

I tend to agree with you. I think when they can run up and pull up your shirt to get to the boob then you should start exclusively pumping.

Exactly. I am NOT in anyway saying stop giving your child breastmilk. But BFing at that age is weird. Pump all you want..till they are 5 if you want.. And I will not judge.

• Options
    I judge people who smoke and have kids.  I don't care if you smoke around your kids or not, it still affects them.  It's in your hair, your clothes, your car, etc.  The occassional cigarette while you're out drinking with friends or something isn't so bad, but I'm talking about full time smokers.  I don't even like knowing some of the teachers at DS' daycare smoke, even though they're not allowed to smoke on the property. 

• Options

imagemrsmikey:
    I judge people who smoke and have kids.  I don't care if you smoke around your kids or not, it still affects them.  It's in your hair, your clothes, your car, etc.  The occassional cigarette while you're out drinking with friends or something isn't so bad, but I'm talking about full time smokers.  I don't even like knowing some of the teachers at DS' daycare smoke, even though they're not allowed to smoke on the property. 

I'll take this a step further. I judge doctors, nurses, dentists...etc. that smoke. You know first hand the effects smoking has and try to get your patients to quit, but then go off on your break and light one up. Ridiculous.

• Options
    imageBlueEyedBoyMeetsABrownEyedGirl:

imagemrsmikey:

Yeah, I agree in terms of pets - but horses scare me though because they are so big Huh?  Anything that could squash me like a bug gets a dose of skepticism from me!!

Also related to animals, I think anyone who knowingly allows or causes an animal to suffer should be punished according to the same laws that apply to humans.  Dog, cat, infant, or whatever...that's a living, breathing creature and anyone that harms them on purpose is one sick f^ck that shouldn't be allowed to walk around on the street.  Guess we need bigger prisons.  I'm sick of seeing these measly $100 fines and such...

Being scared or intimidated by an animal is a little different.  I'm talking about people that just simply don't like them.  I grew up on a horse farm, and you do have to respect larger animals like that.  So it's not a terrible thing to avoid them if you're not comfortable around them. 

And I totally agree with you on the second part.  I'm always advocating for stronger animal cruelty laws.  I even called animal control on our neighbors once b/c they were letting their dog die in their backyard without getting it medical care or putting it down. 

• Options
    imagewomancake:

See my earlier comment about my cousin who survived her accident because she *wasn't* wearing her seatbelt.  I believe she's the exception to the rule, but for me, that does make it a gray area.  To be clear--I am NOT advocating that people shouldn't wear seatbelts.  I always, always wear mine, and insist that anyone riding in my car do so as well.  Even though it was best for my cousin that she wasn't wearing hers, she flies in the face of the statistics that show that seatbelts DO save lives.  My issue is just with it becoming a legal issue.  I feel like if you want to be stupid and put yourself at risk, that's your right.  But I am a huge seatbelt advocate.

Ditto.  I think everyone SHOULD wear their seatbelt, but I don't think it should be a ticketable (is that a word?!) offense for someone who is 18+ years old.

• Options
    imagewomancake:

imageKatywren:

oh goodness....I know a PP said something about being people who disagree with bfing after a certain point are 'frightened.'  I'm most definitely not 'frightened' by it, and I wouldn't say that only bfing until 1 causes problems for a child.  I didn't say it was 'wrong' either.  I don't like a baby being able to ask for a boob.  If my baby gets to that point, I will be taking the baby off sooner than I expect now.  That, I think, is weird for a baby to ask.  And by 2 yrs old, your baby is more than able to eat anything you put in your own body. 

And you are right, breasts are not funbags just for my man's pleasure....I do believe I get more pleasure out of them as I reach an O just by him enjoying them....doesn't even have to touch the vag!  Love that my boobies are so sensitive to his GREAT touch!

• Options
    I judge women that have dirty fingernails. I think they are unclean and it grosses me out. I'll go one step further and say that women (AND MEN) with extremely long fingernails gross me out too. Why do their fingernails need to be so dang long? How could they function with an inch or longer fingernail? BLECH....
  • Options
    imagemrsmikey:
    imageBlueEyedBoyMeetsABrownEyedGirl:

Being scared or intimidated by an animal is a little different.  I'm talking about people that just simply don't like them.  I grew up on a horse farm, and you do have to respect larger animals like that.  So it's not a terrible thing to avoid them if you're not comfortable around them. 

And I totally agree with you on the second part.  I'm always advocating for stronger animal cruelty laws.  I even called animal control on our neighbors once b/c they were letting their dog die in their backyard without getting it medical care or putting it down. 

OMG, that makes me sick.  Good for you for calling...I would have done the same thing.

• Options

Another UO:

UO and FFFC are my least favorite daily threads. They turn into ping-pong matches and the back and forth makes me seasick. Usually I skip over them because they kinda bore me.

• Options
    imageamandaloren:

Just going to through this very random one out there lol I love Mr. Bean and think he is hilarious. I have his tv seasons on dvd that I watch every now and then.

• Options
    imageJrsGurl1823:

imageKatywren:

Well, You make a very strong argument here! And I applaud you for letting such a big opinion be heard.

I dont completely disagree with you here, I am going to breastfeed Isaac.Or at least give it my best, But my feeling toward an older child breastfeeding is that Its just weird once the child is mobile and can figure out its mommy's breast and such. On the other hand if a mother was to pump, and put it into a bottle/sippy cup, im all for it 100 percent. To me its just having the older child on the breast that I dont agree with. Still I stand behind everything that breast feeding stands for and think every mother should AT LEAST try it.

My child was mobile at 6 months. Started walking at 9 months. So in your opinion, I should've weaned him because he was able to get around on his own? The AAP, WHO, and numerous other organizations recommend breastfeeding until age one, at least....Not "until baby can crawl."

And I just love the "just pump and put it in a sippy." Because it's just that easy. Many kids will not take breastmilk from anything but a breast, particularly if the mother is nearby. And pumping with a mobile baby that's getting into everything is anythign but easy -- it's very time consuming.

And who cares if the child "knows" that it's mommy's breast? That's what they're for.

Sorry...I'm having a really rough day, and this is an issue that really gets me fired up. I'm glad that you're planning to breastfeed...it just makes me so sad that so many women share your opinion about extended breastfeeding (and FTR, I'm not talking about super-extended BFing, here. Not 4 year olds...I'm referring to 12-24 month olds).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageJrsGurl1823:

imageKatywren:

Yes!  I think you said this better than I've been trying to explain it.  haha

• Options
    imageitalnprncss78:
    imageamandaloren:
    imageitalnprncss78:
    imageKatywren:
    imagewomancake:

imageKatywren:

Exactly. I am NOT in anyway saying stop giving your child breastmilk. But BFing at that age is weird. Pump all you want..till they are 5 if you want.. And I will not judge.

Why is it weird?  Because your are hung up on breasts being about sex and a 2 year old can differentiate between food boobs and sexy boobs?  Puhlease!  A 2 year old may ask for boob for comfort or because they are hungry.  God forbid teddy bears and cookies become sexualized in American society, or toddlers are screwed!  And pumping doesn't work for everyone and the ones that work are super expensive.  Not everyone is blessed with those kind of luxuries, especially under-privileged women.  Do what is right for you by all means, but mind your own business if someone else makes a different choice (based on the recommendations by the WHO).

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageveronicafvr:

Another UO:

UO and FFFC are my least favorite daily threads. They turn into ping-pong matches and the back and forth makes me seasick. Usually I skip over them because they kinda bore me.

I could not agree more.

bumping from my phone. please pardon any typos and missing punctuation
  • Options
    imageamandaloren:
    imageitalnprncss78:
    imageKatywren:
    imagewomancake:

imageKatywren:

I am all about breastfeeding, plan to do it exclusively for at least 6 months and to continue for at least the first year. I don't plan on hiding away in bathrooms or bedrooms to do it either. BUT...neither will I just whip my boob out to fan in the breeze for all the world to see. It's still a private part of my body. So I'll NIP when I'm comfortable that I can keep things all covered up. And as far as the length of time goes...I don't necessarily having a problem with a child communicating that they'd like to breastfeed in general, I guess that's just like saying I'm hungry. Okay, fine. BUT - I was at a get-together once with a friend from HS, who I hadn't seen SINCE HS. So almost 10 years since we'd seen one another. She'd never even met my husband before. We're sitting in the living room just chatting and making small talk when her son walks in (i'm thinking he was around 2 at the time) and wants to breastfeed. Again, fine with the NIP but complete 100% boob exposure kind of freaked me out. My poor husband too - staring at the wall, the floor, anything but. And then her son started referring to her breasts by name - as in "No more Thomas now, Mama, I want Percy now." Yes, he named them after Thomas trains. That crossed a line for me - a preference for one breast over another at a certain time? Weird.

THAT said, here's my own UO. And I expect I could get flamed for this, but whatever. I judge teen parents. And really accidental pregnancies in general. There is so much information out there today, and access to birth control options is pretty easy, in my opinion. I don't think there's any excuse to get pregnant when you're not intending to. Birth control pills are not hard to take, and if you aren't responsible to take your pill at the same time every day then you're probably not responsible enough to have a tiny infant depending on you for their every need. I kept it in my pants as a teenager, it's really not that hard to do. I don't think teens have any business having sex in the first place, but that's a matter for another day. And it isn't even so much a religious thing. It's that our culture tries desperately to trivialize sex into nothing but a fun time, pure pleasure - that is NOT ITS PURPOSE. IT WAS MADE FOR PROCREATION PURPOSES. That's why sex exists - the fact that it's fun just makes people more likely to do it...because let's be honest, if it wasn't fun, who would want to do that? It's kind of weird and gross if you really just think about the act. Not nearly as glamorous as movies and tv and advertisements make it seem.

And maybe some of this comes from my experience as a middle school teacher, seeing 13, 14 year old girls pregnant, throwing one another baby showers in the cafeteria at lunch, taping ultrasound pictures inside their lockers...it's just plain wrong to me. They are children having children. Blech.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageveronicafvr:

Another UO:

But then you might miss out on people who admittedly pick their nose, smell their farts, pee in the shower, like lesbian porn, etc. At least in FFFC...

• Options
    imageamandaloren:
    imageitalnprncss78:
    imageKatywren:
    imagewomancake:

imageKatywren:

It's not the breast milk that is the issue. I think that if you are going to continue to give your child breastmilk then that is GREAT. But from the breast at an age where they are capable of drinking for a sippy cup, etc is rediculous. There is nothing wrong with pumping and pouring it into a sippy cup when they are older.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Options
    imageheateacher:

THAT said, here's my own UO. And I expect I could get flamed for this, but whatever. I judge teen parents. And really accidental pregnancies in general. There is so much information out there today, and access to birth control options is pretty easy, in my opinion. I don't think there's any excuse to get pregnant when you're not intending to. Birth control pills are not hard to take, and if you aren't responsible to take your pill at the same time every day then you're probably not responsible enough to have a tiny infant depending on you for their every need. I kept it in my pants as a teenager, it's really not that hard to do. I don't think teens have any business having sex in the first place, but that's a matter for another day. And it isn't even so much a religious thing. It's that our culture tries desperately to trivialize sex into nothing but a fun time, pure pleasure - that is NOT ITS PURPOSE. IT WAS MADE FOR PROCREATION PURPOSES. That's why sex exists - the fact that it's fun just makes people more likely to do it...because let's be honest, if it wasn't fun, who would want to do that? It's kind of weird and gross if you really just think about the act. Not nearly as glamorous as movies and tv and advertisements make it seem.

And maybe some of this comes from my experience as a middle school teacher, seeing 13, 14 year old girls pregnant, throwing one another baby showers in the cafeteria at lunch, taping ultrasound pictures inside their lockers...it's just plain wrong to me. They are children having children. Blech.  

While I agree with you about the teen mom part, I don't think that anyone who gets pregnant accidentally is probably not responsible enough for a kid.  We were planning on getting pregnant later this year, but baby had his own plans.  It doesn't make me an irresponsible parent just because I wasn't extra careful.

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Ok, here I go.

I think that most people who get their panties in a bunch about nursing toddlers do it because they see breasts primarily as a sex organ. So once the kid has some mobility, some verbal skills etc, they get squicked out because they think it's some sort of incest thing. Since I don't see it that way at all, it doesn't bother me. It's their issue, not mine. And I have told people that when they have said something. My DD was 11 lbs at birth...she was a newborn who looked like a three month old. Guess what? At 9 months, she was walking and looked like an 18 month old. At one, she looked like a two year old.

• Options
    imageheateacher:
    imageamandaloren:
    imageitalnprncss78:
    imageKatywren:
    imagewomancake:

imageKatywren:

I am all about breastfeeding, plan to do it exclusively for at least 6 months and to continue for at least the first year. I don't plan on hiding away in bathrooms or bedrooms to do it either. BUT...neither will I just whip my boob out to fan in the breeze for all the world to see. It's still a private part of my body. So I'll NIP when I'm comfortable that I can keep things all covered up. And as far as the length of time goes...I don't necessarily having a problem with a child communicating that they'd like to breastfeed in general, I guess that's just like saying I'm hungry. Okay, fine. BUT - I was at a get-together once with a friend from HS, who I hadn't seen SINCE HS. So almost 10 years since we'd seen one another. She'd never even met my husband before. We're sitting in the living room just chatting and making small talk when her son walks in (i'm thinking he was around 2 at the time) and wants to breastfeed. Again, fine with the NIP but complete 100% boob exposure kind of freaked me out. My poor husband too - staring at the wall, the floor, anything but. And then her son started referring to her breasts by name - as in "No more Thomas now, Mama, I want Percy now." Yes, he named them after Thomas trains. That crossed a line for me - a preference for one breast over another at a certain time? Weird.

I just cracked up in my office....whoops:)  BUt this is hilarious.  My nephew is absolutely obsessed with Thomas the Train, and had my SIL kept BFing once he was talking, I could totally see him naming her breasts Thomas and Percy (though he likes Charlie too!)

And teenagers having kids....yes, this country does trivialize sex.  If you haven't had sex by highschool, kids talk about you and make fun of you.  (It use to be if you had sex in highschool, you were the exception....now it is the rule.)  Praise God that in His mercy I made it through highschool with no more than kissing!  No, not everyone is 'doing it.'  It is so beautiful to be shared with the one you love and loves you back.  If they aren't willing to wait for it, they don't love you.  Period.

• Options
    imagedianamcu:
    imageveronicafvr:

Another UO:

But then you might miss out on people who admittedly pick their nose, smell their farts, pee in the shower, like lesbian porn, etc. At least in FFFC...

Very very very true!

• Options
    imageKatywren:
    imageitalnprncss78:
    imageamandaloren:
    imageitalnprncss78:
    imageKatywren:
    imagewomancake:

imageKatywren:

Why is it weird?  Because your are hung up on breasts being about sex and a 2 year old can differentiate between food boobs and sexy boobs?  Puhlease!  A 2 year old may ask for boob for comfort or because they are hungry.  God forbid teddy bears and cookies become sexualized in American society, or toddlers are screwed!  And pumping doesn't work for everyone and the ones that work are super expensive.  Not everyone is blessed with those kind of luxuries, especially under-privileged women.  Do what is right for you by all means, but mind your own business if someone else makes a different choice (based on the recommendations by the WHO).

The point of this is that we can voice our unpopular opinions... If you meant IRL, well, I would never say anything to someone who breastfed longer than I would personally...and I don't really know of anyone who would.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    imageMereou12:
    imageJrsGurl1823:

imageKatywren:

My child was mobile at 6 months. Started walking at 9 months. So in your opinion, I should've weaned him because he was able to get around on his own? The AAP, WHO, and numerous other organizations recommend breastfeeding until age one, at least....Not "until baby can crawl."

And I just love the "just pump and put it in a sippy." Because it's just that easy. Many kids will not take breastmilk from anything but a breast, particularly if the mother is nearby. And pumping with a mobile baby that's getting into everything is anythign but easy -- it's very time consuming.

And who cares if the child "knows" that it's mommy's breast? That's what they're for.

Sorry...I'm having a really rough day, and this is an issue that really gets me fired up. I'm glad that you're planning to breastfeed...it just makes me so sad that so many women share your opinion about extended breastfeeding (and FTR, I'm not talking about super-extended BFing, here. Not 4 year olds...I'm referring to 12-24 month olds).

I was considering mobile, as in walking,( No where did I say "until the baby can crawl " like a PP said, If a child is old enough to walk up to your shirt, and pull it down to suck on your breast I think they are too old to be using a breast. IMO a 24m/ 2 year old on a woman's breast is disturbing, and I personally find it appalling, and i know this is a touchy subject for many women. & Good for the child to know its mommy's breast milk, that is simply not the issue I have, its a child sucking on the breast itself at an older age that I dont agree with. Not looking to be flammed, I think that  at a certain point a women should pump. Again, I think they should continue to BF, thats not the issue, its a child on the actual breast.

& No im not saying my way is the right way, this is my personal opinion that is all. But I am and always will be entitled to voicing it.

• Options
    imagemshrader15:
    imageheateacher:

While I agree with you about the teen mom part, I don't think that anyone who gets pregnant accidentally is probably not responsible enough for a kid.  We were planning on getting pregnant later this year, but baby had his own plans.  It doesn't make me an irresponsible parent just because I wasn't extra careful.

Aaaaah I just wrote a long response to this and it got deleted in a bump error. Grr. I agree with you, and perhaps should have softened that part. If you're in a committed relationship and have a happy surprise, that doesn't bother me so much. It's more when people are not in a place in their lives in which a child would be a good thing - there's no excuse in that case, in my opinion.

I think my issue comes from the fact that there were a few years in we which we were on BC even though I desperately wanted a baby because we had an agreed upon timeline when we would start trying to get pregnant. I heard about so many "pill babies" during that time that I honestly started worrying that something was wrong with ME that I'd never had a pregnancy scare on the pill! It took a very dear friend pointing out the ridiculousness of thinking there was something wrong when a medication, taken according to directions, was having the desired effect. But I got so worked up I was practically convinced I'd be unable to conceive. Turns out we were pregnant 3 cycles after going off BC. So I guess it's a sensitive subject for me.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ok ladies, I am calling out the whole bf conversation..... My UO is I can not stand when there is a debate going on and people get all high and mighty about their choices.  TO EACH HER OWN.  One option is right for someone and not right for someone else.  There is no need to begin acting superior and preaching to the choir about the benefits of bfing.  We a;ll know the benefits and every single one of us wants to do whats best for our children..... Just like when this whole debate began with the circumsion post.  It all gets out of hand and redundant.  We all get it.  I will do what is right for me and for the record all the arguing in the world is not going to allow my toddler with teeth to walk over and unbutton my shirt and help himself.  I am not a drive thru McDonalds.  That is my opinion and I am entitled to it and no one has the right to tell me I am wrong.  Enough already. 
  • Options
    imageKatywren:
    imageitalnprncss78:
    imageamandaloren:
    imageitalnprncss78:
    imageKatywren:
    imagewomancake:

imageKatywren:

Breasts as sexual? Um, no. My DH wishes. It is MY opinion. Which is the point of us posting here. So the 'mind my own business' comment was highly uncalled for. Because if ALL of us minded our own business we would never have a thread, now would we?

Katy...I adore you, I love your posts and would never resort to saying my opinion is the best opinion. I am only stating MY opinion. Let's agree to disagree and move on.

• Options

imagePina:
    Ok ladies, I am calling out the whole bf conversation..... My UO is I can not stand when there is a debate going on and people get all high and mighty about their choices.  TO EACH HER OWN.  One option is right for someone and not right for someone else.  There is no need to begin acting superior and preaching to the choir about the benefits of bfing.  We a;ll know the benefits and every single one of us wants to do whats best for our children..... Just like when this whole debate began with the circumsion post.  It all gets out of hand and redundant.  We all get it.  I will do what is right for me and for the record all the arguing in the world is not going to allow my toddler with teeth to walk over and unbutton my shirt and help himself.  I am not a drive thru McDonalds.  That is my opinion and I am entitled to it and no one has the right to tell me I am wrong.  Enough already. 

Yes

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    imageheateacher:
    imageamandaloren:
    imageitalnprncss78:
    imageKatywren:
    imagewomancake:

imageKatywren:

With severely cut funds to sex education, in addition to lack of access to the pill/funds to obtain it, and the emphasis of abstinence only education erroneously downplaying the efficacy of condoms (coupled with the shame associated with sexual activity in a lot of abstinence only cirricula and communities, where a teen would basically be pressured out of buying condoms out of embarrassment) not to mention the huge push in many states recently to make access to abortion all but impossible, I don't think it's as simple as you're making it out to be. As for teens having no business having sex: the whole concept of being a "teenager" is thoroughly modern and thoroughly western and doesn't conform to the insane hormonal biology going on for many/most kids at that point in their lives. Whatever its greater biological purpose, for many people, sex is flippin' awesome and you can have lots of great, fun, awesome, responsible sex as a teenager, I think. But you need to be given the proper tools--the understanding that it can be a big deal and accurate information on birth and disease control.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"