Illinois Babies
Options

Intro+Daycare Vs. Nanny Vs. Wanting to stay home!

I am about 17.5 weeks pregnant and this is my first time over on the Chicago board! I totally forgot to look for a local board until this morning! I live and work in Naperville.

I am searching Daycares in the area and people are telling me that I will be at least spending $1100 per month for daycare for an infant full time. I then looked into a Nanny which are cheaper but scare me. I really wish I could just stay at home and watch others children and make a living that way.

Anyone else going through this!?

Re: Intro+Daycare Vs. Nanny Vs. Wanting to stay home!

• Options
    I have a nanny, but it is definitely not cheaper than daycare.  I have found that with one child, it usually costs more to have a nanny than daycare.  With two children, it is sometimes cheaper or very close in price to have a nanny.  Hiring a nanny is a daunting task, but you will know if you find the right one.  My husband and I felt lucky during our nanny search since we found two candidates that we thought would be great.  I think I would prefer to stay home, but am scared to quit my job because I am afraid that I would never be employable again.  We could live off of one salary, but might have a difficult time paying for college.
  • Options
    I consider myself a SAHM even though I babysit two days a week. It works out well and I can bring my son with me. I created a bio on care.com and sitter city.com. And that is how I found the family I sit for.
    After many years and tears our baby boy is finally here
    Born 11-6-10

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I visited about 10 daycares before finding one we felt was a great fit.  I love balancing work and family and it has been such a joy to see him thriving around other kids and teachers.  He loves his teachers and has advanced very well with milestones...mostly I contribute it to seeing the older children toddling around and interacting together. 

There are pros and cons with each and no matter what you choose, you may feel guilty, so just be aware of that :)

Daycare is definitely the cheapest alternative with one child and as the other person said may make less sense (financially) with multiple children.  Good luck in making your decision!  Remember you can always try different things out - start with daycare while interviewing for babysitters or nannies, etc...you don't have to stick to what you start with..

Can't sleep? Me either, check out my blog: http://willblogforsleep.blogspot.com/
  • Options

Have you visited any day care centers in the Naperville area yet? I started making lists of them and calling but haven't gotten to visiting any yet. There are so many!

I'm trying to figure out if the national chains are better than some of the local ones. I know driving by them I feel better about they way they look, but thats a terrible way for me to rank them. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Proud Mom to the ZooCrew - Jack 3 years old and Joey 21 months. 
    Excited and delighted to welcome the 3rd member of the ZooCrew in 2015! We can't wait to meet you Matthew Henry!
  • Options

Welcome and congrats!

I think $1100 is a little on the higher end of things. You could likely find someone who runs an in-home daycare for around $200 a week.

I went through a freakout in the beginning over what to do.  Luckily, my aunt offered to sit 3 days a week and then my mom will watch him for 2 days a week.  I hope this lasts until he is at least 1 and then I will feel better about putting him into a daycare. 

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"