3rd Trimester
Options

Membrane Sweep....How painful is it?

My doctor is going to sweep my membranes tomorrow as I will be trying for a VBAC and while she has informed me that it may not jump start labor it is something we can do to at least try......if I make it to 40 weeks they start talking RCS.

Just wondering how painful it is? I've heard different thigns from "super painful" to "not so bad." I'm sure it's different for everyone but just wondering how it was for you? Also, were you able to return to your normal daily routine afterwards or was the cramping to uncomfortable?

It will be my first internal tomorrow too. I'm nervous and excited to see if I'm at all dilated on my own:)

Re: Membrane Sweep....How painful is it?

• Options
    I was in labor when they did it to keep it coming.  It was a little more than uncomfy, but it wasn't horrendous.  GL!
    Anna Kate 10.17.2009 Alexander 6.10.2011 Baby Girl 6.2014
  • Options

It honestly isnt as bad as i thought.. sure lil uncomfy .. just take nice breaths in and out and u'll get through it fine.. less than few second procedure!

I think depends on the person

I've had it done last week 2 times and my cervix was still high up 1st time 1 cm, 2nd time 1 and half cm with slight thinning, hopefully 3rd time is charm and im more dilated!

Soon after 2 times i've had one false alarm, and then slight cramping.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I haven't had it done, but... wtf? They won't let you go past 40 weeks without a RCS? That makes no sense! There's no indication for VBAC not being safe after 40 weeks... 

Labour vibes to you! *zzap* 

BabyGaga
    Pregnancy # 6
    4 missed chances
    2 loving children
    1 on the way
  • Options
    imageNurseMom1:

I haven't had it done, but... wtf? They won't let you go past 40 weeks without a RCS? That makes no sense! There's no indication for VBAC not being safe after 40 weeks... 

Labour vibes to you! *zzap* 

I have other health issues that I didn't get into because I didn't want the post to be super long. Also, because I'm not a canidate for induction (won't do one with VBAC) that starts to change things. Some doctors induce right at 41 weeks so if I made it that far (40+) weeks and induction isn't an option then the only other option would be a RCS.

• Options
    I had it done last Friday and it was not so bad...but it did not put me in labor either.  It probably depends on the provider- maybe if they had made it a little more uncomfortable it would have worked!
  • Options
    It depended how dilated I was...With the first pg I put it at mildly uncomfortable, had them swept at 3cm.  With second, I was barely dilated and it hurt like a mother.
  • Options
    I've had it done twice, once at 40 weeks, and once yesterday at 41 weeks. I thought it was extremely uncomfortable/painful, but only for a few seconds. Neither time has put me in labor, unfortuntately. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm going for a VBAC and my OB is going to do this at 38 weeks too (if I'm dilated) I hope it works for us!
  • Options
    It hurt. My doctor says it typically takes two different times for it to work.
    Jenny BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    I had it done twice with DD (first time at 2-3cm, second time at 5cm) and it didn't hurt at all. Both times I was a little more crampy for a couple of days afterward and had some spotting, but I was still able to run around fine at work. Water broke 2 days after the second time and DD came that night.
  • Options
    I had it done 2 days ago and I was barely dilated....it didn't hurt at all.  She literally had to ask me if I was feeling any cramping before I noticed.  Later that night I was pretty crampy but nothing too unbearable.  I hear it's different for everyone though.  BTW it did nothing...but good luck!!!!!
  • Options
    I had my membranes stripped twice with my DD @ 40 & 41 weeks.  It was very, very raw feelings.  Made me sick to my stomach while it was taking place (didn't take more than a minute). 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't think it was a big deal. I had it done twice, but it didn't do anything for me.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"