3rd Trimester
Options

Horrible cold, OBGYN or GP?

I am on day 4 of a horrible chest cold with on and off fever. I am also having ear pain and back pain (from all the coughing). At 27 weeks, do I call my OBGYN about this, or should I see a normal practitioner.

If I call out from work again today I need a note, otherwise I would probably just lay in bed and drink water.

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Horrible cold, OBGYN or GP?

• Options
    I was sick 2 weeks ago and my OB told me to see my regular doctor.  I would call just to make sure.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I had the same thing at the very end of my pregnancy. I went to my GP. Although, if your GP prescribes you anything, I would call and confirm it's ok to take with your OBGYN.

My GP prescribed me eardrops and said they were safe to take while PG. I called my OBGYN and he said definitely not take them and prescribed me something different that was safe for my baby.

image image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My OB has taken care of both a cold and an ear ache for me. These symptoms are usually related to the pregnancy, due to loweres immune systems, or so my OB said.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My OB has me see my GP for colds then call with medication information to double check the safety.
    TTC #1 5/97 - PCOS dx 6/10 - Metformin 8/10 - Moved from Endo to RE 9/10 - 50mg Clomid 9/10 - 100mg Clomid 10/18 - BFP - Beta #1 = 91 - Beta #2 = 958 EDD 6/28/11 Tater Tot arrived 6/21/11 on his Great Grandmother's 90th Birthday
  • Options

go to a regular doctor...they'll be able to treat you.  OB is not the right person to talk to.

I thought I had a really bad cold....called my OB nurses line...and they pretty much told me 'drink fluids' and all that crap.  Eventually I decided on my own to see a GP, and found out I had pneumonia!!  I had to go on an inhaler and antibiotics immediately.  The stupid nurses (who I had called repeatedly at my OB) didn't even recommend that I go to a GP...they just said 'oh it's probably a bad cold, and the best you can do is just rest and drink plenty of fluids'.  I could have risked my life and the life of my babies.  Pneumonia can be deadly in pregnant women.  

Now that I think about it, I should have filed a complaint.  

Hope you feel better!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I thought I had strep throat symptoms last week and called my OB. They said to call my GP. I told the receptionist at my GP that I was 28 weeks pregnant and they said to come in right away. So, I would go straight to your GP.
    Cant wait to meet our little girl!!! BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"