Preemies
Options

hate the days when DS's primary nurse isnt there

i know she deserves days off, but recently she has gotten floated to other rooms(their was a very critical baby she had to care for), then had her days off, was charge nurse etc. so she hasnt has my DS a lot. she did check in quickly when she could on the days she didnt have him. the other nurses are great and i like most of them but when she isnt caring for my DS i feel so disconnected from everything even the bond with ds feels off. he has a night nurse that follows him, but i dont usually see her. DS is always much happier and has good days when the nurses he knows care for him. dh likes her so much he refers to her as "auntie" to DS. DS is ready to move to special care but we are pleading with them not to move him because his nurse doesnt go with him(she is trying to keep him too) when she is there i do almost everything and she goes by what works for me and DS. if its time for her to do something with him, she will do what she can while i hold him. the flow of things is just so much better when she is there. i feel more apart of things, more informed, know what to expect, more relaxed etc. she adores ds and constantly talks about how cute he is, his personality, how she cant wait to dress him in cute clothes etc. my visits are also longer when she is there, probably because her i get talking about random stuff. she was off today and tomorrow :( anyone else feel the same way? 
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: hate the days when DS's primary nurse isnt there

• Options
    kck329kck329 member

I always hated that too. Its so much better when you feel like the person taking care of your LO really loves them too. It also helps when the nurse knows where your comfort levels are in terms of caring for your LO.

Can you have more than one primary? We ended up getting several nurses to primary on both day and night shifts so that we almost always had someone we knew.

• Options
    Cara03Cara03 member
    I felt the same way. Our day primary nurse often got pulled to do other things like research stuff, etc, and I always hated it when she was off or when she was in the building but doing other things. She didn't like being pulled from the babies, either. We totally felt like she was "ours" and didn't even like her taking care of other babies. Silly jealousy. She was just so great, and we totally "got" each other. I really miss her now that we're home. Anyhow, yea, totally normal to feel that way.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"