Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

how does bf schedule change as baby grows?

My LO is two weeks old now and I have been feeding him every 2-3 hrs as recommended.  I know this is both for him and to make sure my milk supply keeps up.  But I was wondering, for how long are you supposed to stay at feeding every 2-3 hrs?  When do you change schedules an what do you change to?  And does it affect your milk supply if you start feeding less often?

Re: how does bf schedule change as baby grows?

• Options

My DD is 8 weeks old, and we are on a pretty solid every-3-hours schedule at the moment...it will stretch to every 4 pretty soon (based on past experience with my boys).  It won't affect your supply at all as long as you are still exclusively BF, as your body will still be meeting your baby's demands.

Jack 3.5.07 / Ethan 9.17.08 / Lauren 4.3.11 image
  • Options
    DS is almost 11 weeks old and still nurses every 2-3 hours in the day, and every 3-5 at night. I plan on following his lead in spacing out feedings, and will continue to nurse on demand. But, yes, as your LO nurses less your supply will decrease. It's a supply and demand system, so as the demand goes down the supply will too.
    imageimage
    BFP # 1- DS ~ TTC #2 since Jan. 2012 - BFP # 2 - "Baby Elsie" - Blighted Ovum - D&C August 22, 2012 at 7w3d, BFP # 3 - CP - December 30, 2012, BFP # 4 - CP - March 19, 2013 ~ First RE Appt. 4/24/13 Med cycle #1: 50mg Clomid and Trigger shot = BFN. Med. Cycle #2: 6 cysts found. No meds/rest cycle. Trying on our own = BFP # 5! Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 129 Beta #3 = 94 - CP - July 2, 2013. BFP # 6! Beta#1 = 21, Beta#2 =58 Beta#3 = 134. U/S shows heartbeat of 142 at 7w2d!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I feed on demand. Once DD regained her birthweight I let her sleep as long as she'd like during the night. It was soon 6 hrs, and then 8 and now 9-10 hrs. She eats about every 2.5 hours during the day - usually 6 or 7 feedings a day. It used to be quite a bit more, with cluster feeding in the evening. She no longer cluster feeds, although her second last and last feeding of the day are close together (usually 1.5 hrs apart). I am not going to not feed on demand, so I can't really answer your questions about scheduling.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

your body will regulate to what your baby wants. so as long as you can, feed on demand and your body will accomodate. 

we were going every 2.5-3 hours too but i was nursing, and then pumping and giving bottles mixed with formula. eventually once my milk was established (i had awful supply issues for about 3 weeks) i switched to nursing more. 

my little guy is now going every 4 hours during the day with three feedings between 5pm and 10pm, he will be 3 months this week. 

• Options

I let DS sleep since he regained his birth weight and some, and he eats when he is hungry. Which during the day is 6-7 times every 2-4 hours and at night 1-2 times every 3-5 hours. It is harder to put a BFed baby on a feeding schedule than it is a FFed baby. But it can be done like to sleep longer at night have LO up at least 2 hours before your bedtime 10-11pm and feed LO then put them down in the crib/bassinet. And dont let them sleep longer than 3 hours during the day. But that just helps with night feedings and their sleeping. As for supply it will increase as LO feeds more and decease as LO feeds less.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"