Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

those who use alimentum

So just had to switch DD to Similac Alimentum formula due to her dairy allergy.  So her pedi wants me to continue to pump for 3 more months and try breastfeeding in 3 months but then informed me that she may not latch by then because she will be used to a bottle, how many of you who have kids on formula are going to try breastfeeding again? I am so up in the air about what I want to do. TIA
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucketimage imageimage

Re: those who use alimentum

• Options
    msm261msm261 member

Lurking.. .But WHAT? Your pedi is nuts.  3 months is SO long to pump and dump!! If you are going to switch, make the switch fully and don't look back.  If you want to cut out dairy/soy, do it for at least three weeks to see results.  I would continue to BF during that time period as well b/c your pedi is right, LO won't latch after extended bottle feeding.

DS was diagnosed at 10 weeks. I cut dairy/soy for 2 weeks, but didn't see any results.  Switched him to Alimentum Ready to Feed at that point.  Best decision I ever made for him!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagemsm261:

Lurking.. .But WHAT? Your pedi is nuts.  3 months is SO long to pump and dump!! If you are going to switch, make the switch fully and don't look back.  If you want to cut out dairy/soy, do it for at least three weeks to see results.  I would continue to BF during that time period as well b/c your pedi is right, LO won't latch after extended bottle feeding.

DS was diagnosed at 10 weeks. I cut dairy/soy for 2 weeks, but didn't see any results.  Switched him to Alimentum Ready to Feed at that point.  Best decision I ever made for him!  

Nice! that is what I was thinking as well, my daughter I was able to BF for about 6 months before we noticed there was a problem, but this DD her allergy started much early and is more exteme like my husbands. I think I am just going to make the switch, I tried eliminating 2 weeks ago and it did NOTHING! so I am so ready to move on and get some sleep and enjoy my baby. if you dont mind me asking is your LO still on that formula now?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucketimage imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    msm261msm261 member
    He is, but he is making the transition to dairy really well.  He is eating cheese and yogurt.  I also let him have bites of my cereal with 2% milk.  He has had no adverse reactions so far.  I really beat myself up about switching to formula, but in the case of MSPI, you have to be so careful about what you eat or you make LO sick.  It just wasn't worth the risk.  After I got over the guilt, I saw how happy he was and felt much better about it.  Make sure you contact Similac and let them know thru email you are switching and they will send you free samples of powder and coupons! 
  • Options
    msm261msm261 member
    He is, but he is making the transition to dairy really well.  He is eating cheese and yogurt.  I also let him have bites of my cereal with 2% milk.  He has had no adverse reactions so far.  I really beat myself up about switching to formula, but in the case of MSPI, you have to be so careful about what you eat or you make LO sick.  It just wasn't worth the risk.  After I got over the guilt, I saw how happy he was and felt much better about it.  Make sure you contact Similac and let the know thru email you are switching and they will send you free samples of powder and coupons! 
  • Options
    AWSOME! that is good to hear, yeah my other DD who is now 2 after she turned about 10 months old was able to slowly handle dairy very well, So I am hoping this is the same case. But I will try not to beat myself up too bad over it.
  • Options
    my baby was diagnosed 3 weeks ago. after having an awful rash for a few weeks before that and green mucousy poop for 2 weeks. positive for blood. pedi said I could still BF, actually said it would be the best option. just to cut out all dairy/soy. even though he was still having blood in his poop and gaining weight slowly. it took about a week to see a big improvement. then at 2 weeks the diapers stopped being positive for blood. we go tomorrow for another blood check and weight check. I would not stop BF if you don't have to. we tried to give DS alimentum a few times and he hates it. puked the first time and got really really bad gas the other times. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"