Adoption
Options

Question about out of state/country adoptions

For some reason this thought just crossed my mind this morning, and I knew I could get some answers from you ladies :)

DH & I are planning on doing Foster / Foster/Adopt, so this doesn't apply to us right now but more and more I am looking forward to at some point doing domestic infant adoption.  

So my question is for those of you who do out of state or country adoptions...

How do you get that much time off of work with such short notice? Do you save up your vacation days so that you can do that or do you just have super awesome places of employment and they support what you're doing so they're really understanding?

I just can't imagine in my husband's field of work that we might be able to drive across the country and him not be working for 2 weeks and have his employers think that was okay :/  Obviously that just means that we won't be able to do that, but how do you work that type of situation out?

dx MF & FF IF
Off B.C. Jan '06, started charting Feb '08, 2% morphology and PCOS, no O with meds,
IVF w/ICSI only option to conceive.
Licensed Foster Parents 07.11
Miracle BFP 7.20.11 1st beta 6,274! EDD 3.17.12
Miracle Baby born March 5, 2012 . 6lbs 1oz, 19 3/4"
Miracle BFP #2 10.8.12 - edd 6.20.13

Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Question about out of state/country adoptions

• Options

Lack of flexible PTO time was one of many reasons we chose not to do international adoption.

For domestic, we didn't have to drive across the country, but we got The Call at 10am and had to leave at 2pm to meet DD's birthmom. I had 36 hours to wrap things up before I took maternity leave.

Our bosses were aware of the situation and knew that a call could come any day. They were fine with it.

• Options
    imageDr.Loretta:

Lack of flexible PTO time was one of many reasons we chose not to do international adoption.

For domestic, we didn't have to drive across the country, but we got The Call at 10am and had to leave at 2pm to meet DD's birthmom. I had 36 hours to wrap things up before I took maternity leave.

Our bosses were aware of the situation and knew that a call could come any day. They were fine with it.

That's good.  I think at DH's current position he knows his bosses well enough that they would be supportive, but he is moving to a new company in the next few weeks... and while it's a better position with a much better company, he's going to be the low man on the totem pole.  I suppose DA is a few years off anyhow, so I am borrowing trouble.  I'm just a big planner lol

dx MF & FF IF
    Off B.C. Jan '06, started charting Feb '08, 2% morphology and PCOS, no O with meds,
    IVF w/ICSI only option to conceive.
    Licensed Foster Parents 07.11
    Miracle BFP 7.20.11 1st beta 6,274! EDD 3.17.12
    Miracle Baby born March 5, 2012 . 6lbs 1oz, 19 3/4"
    Miracle BFP #2 10.8.12 - edd 6.20.13

Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Agreeing w/Fred.  If your husband's work place is sticky about such things, I would appeal to them from the perspective of an expectant parent.  They aren't able to control if a baby comes early/late, etc. 

We are preparing for a second baby (matched and waiting).  My husband is a school teacher and the baby is due right at the beginning of the year.  Our plan is for him to be there for the birth (yea for birth mom that wants us there!), to stay while in the hospital and then he'll fly back home and just come back for the weekends.  My parents are able to come help me.  (Also works since the two areas are areas w/major airports so flying will not increase the cost of our adoption much.)

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • Options

In both of our cases, we had told our bosses as soon as we were active that we could get a call at any time to go get our child... with DD1, we had three weeks notice, and with DD2 we had 6 months notice, so DD2's arrival was easier for our work to accomadate, but we had very understanding bosses in both cases that made it easy for us to do what we needed to do for our family. 

I'd say just be as up front as possible about what's going on with your bosses (even if it's just confidential between the two of you), and they will likely appreciate any heads up you can provide, so they can help to plan for your coverage when you're out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We had to travel a few states away and since DH didn't have a lot of time off from work we decided that we would all go together for his birth and then DH and SS would come back home without us (if needed). My sister had just graduated from college so she was going to stay with me if that happened. ICPC cleared super fast for us (maybe 3 days!) so we all just drove home together :-)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Moved to Domestic Adoption 9/09 Matched 10/09 Sweet little Luke was born 12/9/09!
  • Options
    We are still working out financing and paperwork, but I want to thank you for asking this question.  I also want to tell you that I think your dogs are sooo cute.
  • Options
    We did not get time off from our jobs so DD was brought to us (IA). Then we had both saved vacation time so withthe help of our mothers and some holidays someone was home with DD for 10 weeks. DD was 26 months at the time so it was a little different than if she had been a newborn.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"