Military Families
Options

Dealing with Dh deployment

My DH and I have only been married 3 months so this is my first deployment and even though he has only been gone a little more than a week I am having a very difficult time.  I have been trying to stay busy, which has been challenging since I am a teacher and we are now on summer vacation.  My friends and family are great support and the days are going by ok.  Unfortunately, I am still crying my eyes out every night because I am so lonely.  I knew it would be hard, and I am guessing the lovely preggo hormones are not helping the situation.  Sorry to vent but if any of you have any advice on how to get through the next 6 months I would love to listen.

Re: Dealing with Dh deployment

• Options
    Hang in there! Th first few weeks are an adjustment but it does get better! Being pregnant doesn't help the emotions much, but it does get easier. Last summer my hubby deployed and 2.5 weeks later I found out Inwas prego. I was wondering why I was super emotional over this deployment. I too am a teacher and always hate summer deployments because I have more free tine on my hands. Keep busy like you were saying and rely on your family and friends for support. Be very open with your hubby while he is gone too. How long is his deployment?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    NSLNSL member
    The first couple of weeks are the hardest, i my experience. After that it gets a lot easier the more you develop your own routine.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagecarebear939:
    My DH and I have only been married 3 months so this is my first deployment and even though he has only been gone a little more than a week I am having a very difficult time.  I have been trying to stay busy, which has been challenging since I am a teacher and we are now on summer vacation.  My friends and family are great support and the days are going by ok.  Unfortunately, I am still crying my eyes out every night because I am so lonely.  I knew it would be hard, and I am guessing the lovely preggo hormones are not helping the situation.  Sorry to vent but if any of you have any advice on how to get through the next 6 months I would love to listen.

Is it a ship deployment or a ground deployment? 

If it's a ship deployment make sure to write him emails and letters as often as you can.  When I was on ship deployments getting letter in the mail is what kept me going.  Also try sending him a care package of his fav. goodies at least once a month.

If it's a ground deployment and he has access to a computer then I would suggest both of you DLing Skype so you can talk face to face for free.

Also pick up a hobby like Photography or cooking and start a blog about it, that will definitely help keep you busy! 

Your base might have a support group for spouses of dependents who are deployed.  They are a good support group for people in the same situation as yourself.

• Options

Thank you all for your kind words of support.  It is so nice to know I am not alone in this experience. 

• Options
    I am in a similar situation! My DH left recently for his first deployment, and it's tough! Just try to stay positive, and try to make yourself a routine. Find one thing that you will do EVERY single day (or at least 6 days a week). For me, it's walking my dog at least 6 days a week, and eating at least one real, cooked meal a day. For the first week though, the only thing on my to-do list was to force myself to brush my teeth at night. (It's ok to have rough days!)

If you ever need anything, feel free to send me a message, or just ask around! There are a lot of ladies here that are going through deployments, too. :)

Another forum that's been a lifesaver for me is militarySOS.com; they have a section devoted to deployments.

Hang in there!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am with you!! My husband left for only 1 month and I was miserable for the 1st week because I wasn't used to it, it also didn't help that we are newlyweds and we had just found out I was 12 weeks pregnant (talk about a bomb being dropped) but I made it through.  Now where is he deployed to?? Some bases allow for their soldiers to Skype and make phone calls.  Skype is free and it helps to see his face every now and again.  Now it's good that you're trying to stay busy, but it doesn't help at night :/  I would try to get involved with something outside of the house that requires you to co-mingle with other people, it helps if they are military wives that are in the same situation as you because you guys share a common ground.  Try to workout or go on walks with friends especially if you're in a new area that you haven't explored yet! Take pics and share them with your hubby when he gets back.  Take pics and document your growing belly, it will be fun to share when he gets back and you will have something for your baby in the future also. Scrapbook your guys relationship, I find scrapbooks to be fun yet very time consuming so that worked for me :) Just stay busy and think about how great it will be to have him back, you have to stay positive!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"