VBAC

Disappointed, but at least she was honest

cchill01cchill01 member

I had my annual GYN visit today and we talked about the potential for baby #2.  I was really honest with her about how disappointed I was with the outcome of my last birth (proud of myself for finally speaking up) and that I really want to try for a VBAC.  She listened and said she completely understood my sadness and my desire for a different outcome. 

Then she proceeded to say that I was not likely to get a VBAC in the hospital where I had DD#1 or with her practice.  They don't allow VBACers to go past due and they won't use any induction at all - not even a whiff.  I guess there was woman with a prior c-section who came into the emergency room a few years back (not even one of their patients) and the baby was already dead.  She said that single prior experience set the policy and that I won't find anyone who will go against it. 

So, I'm really disappointed because I've been seeing her for 12 years, but I'm really glad she was honest with me.  She even said unfortunately with a litigious society, the practice has to do what is right for the practice, and that doesn't always match up with the patient's best interests or desires.  She also said that in this region, there have been several enormous malpractice cases and it is really changing the tone of OB in Philly.  Don't know if that's true, but again, glad for the honesty.

Anyway, on to find a new Dr and hospital before #2.  I guess there will be a few ICAN meetings in my near future.

Thanks for listening.  No one IRL will really understand my disappointment.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Disappointed, but at least she was honest

• Not sure where you are located but I am delivering at Cooper with Cooper OB/GYN.  Cooper VBAC rates are one of the highest in NJ and the practice has been supportive so far.
  • hi! im from philly too. sorry to hear your current practice you have been with so long has that policy but at least she.was upfront.some of these doctors act like they are supportive of a vbac but by the time your due they change. there are hospitals here there are vbac friendly but you will have to do some looking around. i went to a practice at 6th and walnut thats apart of pennsylvania hospital on 8th and spruce. obgyn and midwifery care. they have obs and midwives. im not sure if they are close to you but they are great. i didnt vbac because i had complications and i felt it was best to deliver csection for our safety. however they are supportive and let you go past your due date up to 41 weeks if you dont go into labor by then you have to get a rcs and they will not induce. i hope you find a practice to meet your needs and Gl!
  • Loading the player...
  • lkf041lkf041 member
    I'm also outside of Philly.  I found a doc that will let me attempt a VBA2C.  Definitely contact your local ICAN... they have some great information about docs.  Good luck and at least she was honest with you... my Doc for #2 was not so honest and it ended in a RCS when I expressed I really wanted a VBAC.  
    DS- 11/08,  DD1 - 05/10,  DD2 - 11/11

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagelkf041:
    I'm also outside of Philly.  I found a doc that will let me attempt a VBA2C.  Definitely contact your local ICAN... they have some great information about docs.  Good luck and at least she was honest with you... my Doc for #2 was not so honest and it ended in a RCS when I expressed I really wanted a VBAC.  
    if you dont mind me asking where are you attempting a vba2c if i do have another baby i wouldnt mind attempting a vbac again.
  • Thanks for the suggestions ladies.  Cooper is probably too far (I'm on the other side of the river).  My DH is scared to even go to one of the city hospitals, because the drive on 76 can be an hour.  He still has these visions of this crazy panic filled labor - when in reality I was 15 days late and could have walked to the hospital.  I'm going to contact ICAN and start wearing down DH.  I'll definitely look at both Penn hospitals. thanks! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • lkf041lkf041 member

imagerena5498:
    imagelkf041:
    if you dont mind me asking where are you attempting a vba2c if i do have another baby i wouldnt mind attempting a vbac again.

I'm going to Lankenau Hospital this time.  My doc is vbamc friendly and is even a back up to homebirth midwives.  

We like to say I'm hospital hopping.  My first was at Montgomery (horrible experience) and my second was at Bryn Mawr (good experience but strict vbac rules that resulted in my RCS).  Let's hope Lankenau is better!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm sorry that's the situation, but I'm really glad you talked about it with her beforehand and she was so up-front with you, instead of having to scramble at the last minute because you didn't know!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had my CS at Bryn Mawr and they basically said that I couldn't VBAC there.  I VBACed at Montgomery with a midwife.  I LOVED the maternity ward there so much more than Bryn Mawr (which I was surprised about- I thought I'd hate the hospital).  But the OBs are really VBAC friendly there too.  All of the nurses that were there when I was delivering were SO excited that a VBAC was there.  It was great to have the entire floor pulling for me. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • imageMAprincess:
    I had my CS at Bryn Mawr and they basically said that I couldn't VBAC there.  I VBACed at Montgomery with a midwife.  I LOVED the maternity ward there so much more than Bryn Mawr (which I was surprised about- I thought I'd hate the hospital).  But the OBs are really VBAC friendly there too.  All of the nurses that were there when I was delivering were SO excited that a VBAC was there.  It was great to have the entire floor pulling for me. 

I am seeing the same CNM as MAPrincess and I love her, but I haven't been in the hospital yet.  

I delivered my first at HRH and I already knew that they had changed their VBAC policy a year or so before she was born.  Technically, you can still attempt a VBAC there if your Ob/Gyn pleads your case to the department chair and he approves you for it, but I had a shitty experience there all around and wouldn't want to deliver there again anyway.

Out of curiosity, who is the Ob/Gyn that welcomes VBA2C?  Is it Dr. Bailey at Lankenau? 

Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • lkf041lkf041 member
    imageGeekchick921:

imageMAprincess:
    I had my CS at Bryn Mawr and they basically said that I couldn't VBAC there.  I VBACed at Montgomery with a midwife.  I LOVED the maternity ward there so much more than Bryn Mawr (which I was surprised about- I thought I'd hate the hospital).  But the OBs are really VBAC friendly there too.  All of the nurses that were there when I was delivering were SO excited that a VBAC was there.  It was great to have the entire floor pulling for me. 

I am seeing the same CNM as MAPrincess and I love her, but I haven't been in the hospital yet.  

I delivered my first at HRH and I already knew that they had changed their VBAC policy a year or so before she was born.  Technically, you can still attempt a VBAC there if your Ob/Gyn pleads your case to the department chair and he approves you for it, but I had a shitty experience there all around and wouldn't want to deliver there again anyway.

Out of curiosity, who is the Ob/Gyn that welcomes VBA2C?  Is it Dr. Bailey at Lankenau? 

Yes, Dr. Bailey... heard anything about him? 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I work in medical malpractice firm in Philly.  Your doctor is probably under the wrong impression about the way that works.  This is a common misconception due to high malpractice insurance rates that haven't gone down.  To start, the laws have changed drastically since the medical malpractice heyday, which has been over for at least a decade, if not longer.  This has not reflected in insurance rates at all.  There may be some huge cases but they are valid cases as far as malpractice is concerned.  Basically, in those cases, there's really no question that medical personnel did major wrong.  The laws are set in place now so it is a difficult process to get a malpractice suit filed, let alone win.  This is to insure that the frivolous lawsuits don't get very far.

All that aside, the decision to VBAC is your choice for the most part and not necessarily the doctors' decision.  Any doctor should weigh the risks involved as opposed to flat out refusing to do it.  Some take the better safe than sorry approach.  The doctors cannot be considered totally at fault if its at your insistence as far as malpractice is concerned.  A defense attorney would have a field day with contributory negligence if you opted for a VBAC and something went wrong.  Liability on the doctors' part would come more from their direct actions or failure to act if there is a complication than the decision to VBAC. 

Having abdominal surgery is a much higher risk than going for a vaginal birth, even if its a VBAC.  My doctor said its better to avoid a RCS if its not medically necessary.  I was originally under the impression that I would most likely have to RCS as opposed to VBAC.  I am probably going to end up with a RCS, but there are other complications involved in this.  

I am delivering at Jefferson and their OB/GYN practice is fully supportive of VBAC.  If you wanted to give them a try. 

BabyName Ticker Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagelissiealkie:

I work in medical malpractice firm in Philly.  Your doctor is probably under the wrong impression about the way that works.  This is a common misconception due to high malpractice insurance rates that haven't gone down.  To start, the laws have changed drastically since the medical malpractice heyday, which has been over for at least a decade, if not longer.  This has not reflected in insurance rates at all.  There may be some huge cases but they are valid cases as far as malpractice is concerned.  Basically, in those cases, there's really no question that medical personnel did major wrong.  The laws are set in place now so it is a difficult process to get a malpractice suit filed, let alone win.  This is to insure that the frivolous lawsuits don't get very far.

All that aside, the decision to VBAC is your choice for the most part and not necessarily the doctors' decision.  Any doctor should weigh the risks involved as opposed to flat out refusing to do it.  Some take the better safe than sorry approach.  The doctors cannot be considered totally at fault if its at your insistence as far as malpractice is concerned.  A defense attorney would have a field day with contributory negligence if you opted for a VBAC and something went wrong.  Liability on the doctors' part would come more from their direct actions or failure to act if there is a complication than the decision to VBAC. 

Having abdominal surgery is a much higher risk than going for a vaginal birth, even if its a VBAC.  My doctor said its better to avoid a RCS if its not medically necessary.  I was originally under the impression that I would most likely have to RCS as opposed to VBAC.  I am probably going to end up with a RCS, but there are other complications involved in this.  

I am delivering at Jefferson and their OB/GYN practice is fully supportive of VBAC.  If you wanted to give them a try. 

Lissie- thank you for this information!  Any chance your firm can send out a memo to all the providers in PA? :-)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"