July 2011 Moms

belly bandit after c-section?

Hi Ladies,

I'm just wondering if any of you wore a belly bandit (or similar) after your c-section?  I'm hoping it'll help my tummy get back to normal.

I know that immediately after the surgery, I'm going to be really sore and not want anything touching the incision mark...but I've also read that actually having tight bandages around incisions can actually help speed up the healing process.

Any thoughts?

I'm hoping that I will be able to wear a compression belt, both for healing and for the belly to shrink, and that I might be able to bear the uncomfortableness of it.  I don't plan on putting it on the same days as the c-section, but maybe a couple days later.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: belly bandit after c-section?

• coachgcoachg member

I just had a c-section last Thursday and bought one of these. I am just hesitant to wear it. I feel like it will "squeeze" my incision or be too tight or something. 

I'd love to hear what others have to say! 

Tyler is going to be a big brother!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• I cannot imagine wearing one.  I am having a SUPER recovery.  But the thought of pressure on my incision just makes me worried the pressure would open it. 

I'd ask your doctor about this.  Even without compression my stomach has shrunk a lot.  I've lost hardly any weight though (8lbs).  H had to take the scale out of the closet because I kept weighing myself and getting upset.

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I did! And it really helped with the healing and muscle memory. It also gave me support when picking things up. I felt so scared i was going to split open and the bandit gave me a sense of safety. I highly recommend...
  • My hospital gave one to me after my C section and really encouraged me to wear it anytime I was out of bed. Honestly it really helped a lot, and kinda protected the incision from your waist band on pants etc.  I totally recommend it, and if you are good about wearing it it really does help. I kept mine on pretty much around the clock for a while.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekatie4253:

I cannot imagine wearing one.  I am having a SUPER recovery.  But the thought of pressure on my incision just makes me worried the pressure would open it. 

I'd ask your doctor about this.  Even without compression my stomach has shrunk a lot.  I've lost hardly any weight though (8lbs).  H had to take the scale out of the closet because I kept weighing myself and getting upset.

After my C section I actually gained weight due to the water retention, and didnt loose any for a couple weeks, and then all at once one day just started loosing weight like crazy, so hang in there, it takes time for your blood volume & water retention etc... to adjust back

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • After my CS, pressure was hugely awesome! A pillow on my belly when I pumped, one under the seatbelt for bumps in the car the first few days after I was released - this time CS or not I think I want one of those belly bands. It's just nice to have support on a floppy belly where there's just been a pretty big heavy thing holding it in. Plus I'm hoping it helps mend my abs!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • meg1974meg1974 member

I was told to air out the incision as much as possible for at least a few weeks afterward. I healed really well with no problems, so I guess it worked. 

I actually lost quite a bit of weight within the first few weeks, maybe because I was BFing so much. My uterus contracted very quickly, which also sped up the healing.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I bought a Belly Bandit but they run really small, so after my c-section, my hospital ordered me one of their compression belts in a larger size for free.  I was worried about the incision area also but one thing about the incision is that it's actually kind of numb.  You just place the compression belt low enough so that the edge is not on the incision and you'll be fine.  I find that the compression belt really does help with the soreness in your belly and with shrinking your tummy.
  • I am 12 days pp, and would have had to take a lot more pain meds had I not had the belly bandit. If you are going to get one, order for the size you are / were at early 8 mos. I did this and ended up going past my due date with a 10 lb 1oz baby. The belt looks like there is no way it will fit but have someone else pull it around you while you hold one side and it will feel amazing!! Best thing I've done.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"