TTC after 35
Options

injections

So I have an absolutely embarrassing and ridiculous question. Out of all you who do IUI/IVF with injections, are any of you doing them with someone else doing the injection? Could you do the injection if you had to?

I am terrified to do the injections. Terrified of doing any injections. I am diabetic and when i started insulin my husband had to do the injections and then I went on an insulin pump. Well now my husband may be gone for part of the time working up to IVF, when the injections are happening- 2 times a day. I am terrified and have already worked with this with insulin. I could not do it, I was late to work waiting for him to get up and do the injections for me. So how stupid and insane is it to look into hiring a nurse or whoever to come to the house and do th e injections 2 times a day??

Pathetic right?

Kristin

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: injections

• Options
    I'm so sorry that you are so terrified of the injections. I do them myself. The anticipation was worse than the actual shot. It's totally "no big deal" to me now. I do them in restaurant bathrooms. I haven't had to an intramuscular one yet though (only sub q).  Do you have a friend/neighbor/co-worker you can ask to do them if DH isn't around? When was the last time you tried to do it yourself? Can you sit with the nurse to get a "lesson" and try to calm your nerves? 

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Options

I'm sorry too that this is scaring you so much.  I was totally scared the first time I did the hcg trigger shot for my first IUI, but I iced the area first (I think you're not supposed to do this with progesterone for IVF, but I believe you can for the other shots) and discovered it was no big deal.  To be honest, since the shots leading up to IVF are around the belly button area, I would much rather do them myself than have DH (or anyone else) poking around down there.  I would have a harder time giving myself a shot in the arm, for sure, but this is really different, and I am betting the needles are different (smaller, thinner) than the one for insulin.  I agree with McIrish, I think when you have an injections lesson with the nurse (my RE makes you have one, I think most doctors do), you can talk about your fears and also maybe practice (my IVF nurse had a rubber thing I could practice pushing the needle into).

But if after that you still really can't deal, then I don't think there's any shame in hiring someone to do it for you if you can.  This is all stressful enough as it is, and whatever you need to do to relieve the stress, I say you do.

me - 41 (dx: DOR); DH - 53 (no problems); 7/18/09 - married!; 8/4/09 - BFP on first (real)try; 9/14/09 - missed m/c; 9/15/09 - d&c; 11/09 - 3/10 - 4 natural cycles = BFN; 4/10 - dx hyperthyroidism caused by Graves' disease; 6/10 - thyroidectomy; 7/10 - 12/10 - 1 natural and 5 medicated IUI cycles = BFN; 1/11 - new RE; dx low ovarian reserve (AMH .42; 1/26/11 -- BFP (ectopic) from IUI #6; methotrexate 2/10/11; 6/2/11 - IVF #1 = BFN; 9/12/11 - prescreening for DE; 9/15/11 - IUI #7 (unmedicated)= BFN; 11/8 - begin DE cycle (shared risk program); 12/5 - ER (5 eggs/4 mature/3 fertilized/2 left by day 5) 12/10 - ET of one 1BB blast (expanded, "fair" quality), none to freeze; 12/22 - totally shocked by +hpt; beta #1 = 413; #2 = 3952 2/14 - CVS reveals a healthy baby girl! EDD: 8/27/12 DD born 8/31/12, 10 lbs 10 oz and perfect in every way. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have been through all the trying to do it myself, having class and all that. Spent hours with family friend who is a nurse and could not do it if I could see the needle. I was able to do it with insulin when using an injectease

https://www.amazon.com/Ambimed-Inject-ease%C2%AE-Automatic-Injector-Injections/dp/B000PKYX8K

but the syringes for IUI did not fit. Hmmm maybe they can fit if i switch it, if there is something to switch,  I am going to look right now

• Options
    Nope, the injectease is for tiny little itty bitty needle and syringe, the giant ones I have been using wont fit. Dang!!!
  • Options

Wow, I too am on the insulin pump.  I also wear a sensor... I had a hard time putting that in at first because the needle seemed so big, but I have gotten over that.

I did my MIL IVF injections while her husband was working a couple of time and I nearly passed out when she pulled it out.... ouch I am not looking forward to that and I am hoping that I will not have to give myself that one.

Best of luck!

• Options

I did my own sub-Q injections for IVF and DH is doing the IM ones. I promise you the sub-Q ones are NOT BAD AT ALL. I barely felt them. Seriously, you know when you wear a new pair of shoes and they rub your feet funny the first couple times? That hurts like 100 times more than these shots.

I was worried about DH doing the IM ones because he is a needle-phobe. For the first couple shots, I thought he was going to pass out but he pushed through. He couldn't even eat dinner after my trigger shot! Now then he's done 5 of them he said he feels much more comfortable with it.

• Options

At first I was totally stressed about having to pick myself. Then the time came....I had to do it! I really didn't want the DH to do it...he is shaky and rough!!!.

Try to look at it like: this is the way to get your baby.....I need to put this "juice" in my body right now and I am woman I CAN do this!!!! Get everything ready take a deep breath and you can do it!!!!

TTC since 2009 very frustrated 42yr and DH 40

5 cycles of Clomid with satisfactory response=BFN's
    Fibroid removal Nov2010
    IUI Clomid #1 Feb 2011...BFN..damn it!
    IUI Inject's #2 Apr 2011...CANCELLED...low estradiol
    IUI Inject's #3 June 2011...BFN
    IUI Inject's #4 Sept2011...BFFN
    Lap Dec 2011...severe endo..cyst removed..some remains...
    IVF#1 Apr 2012 ....cancelled due to over suppression
    IVF#2 July 2012....6 follies...only 1 retrieved....BFFN
    surgery suggested to move ovary to an better placement but....we moved two time zones away and are financially and emotionally empty

• Options
    Ok here is a question: if yu have done IUI and now move to IVF, what is the difference in the shots? Is there a difference?
  • Options

Oh man, sorry you are struggling with this.  I have had no issues but I'm totally weird and very intrigued by the whole  thing.  I don't even liked to be too numb for deep cleaning my teeth.  I'm a freak. 

I have been giving myself the sub q shots and will have to do the trigger by myself and the progesterone because my H is never home.  If he gets home by Friday night I will ask him to do the trigger for me.  The Gonal F pen is really easy and the needle is short.  The menopur/cetrocide needle is pretty long but nothing major.  The more I do it the easier the whole thing gets.  

You can do this!

IVF#1 May 2011 15 Eggs Retrieved, 11 Fertilized using ICSI + HPT on 6/9/11 Beta #1 420 Beta #2 2167 US 7/1 TWINS!! Due 2/18/2012 Brooke and Nora born at 35.6 weeks Jan 20th 2012
  • Options
    Not pathetic at all.  I am also afraid of needles.  At my job we have a nurse unit that can administer injections.  Do you have anything like that so that you don't have to go to the expense of hiring a nurse?
    BFP on IVF #2 6/29/2012. Beta #1 7/3 = 522; Beta #2 = 1180; Beta #3 = 6491 image BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"