Houston Babies
Options

When did your LO start using utensils?

At Evan's last visit the Pedi said that we can start letting DS use spoons and forks. This kinda seems early to me. He is 14 months old and does well feeding himself and has refused allowing us to spoon feed him for sometime, but I don't think he is ready to use a spoon or fork yet. Maybe I'm just not ready.

When did your LO start using utensils?

Dx: PCOS and short luteal phase
18 cycles (3 with our RE) - Metformin + Clomid + HCG booster did the trick!
BFP #1 6/22/09 EDD: 3/2/10 DS born: 3/8/10

TTC #2 since Dec 2011
BFP #2 7/8/12 EDD: 3/18/12 M/C @ 9w1d: 8/16/12

Re: When did your LO start using utensils?

• Options

I'm pretty sure she was using forks by then. Spoons, for sure. She just liked using them. Although these days she's more likely to eat with her fingers, to my dismay. 

At that age I liked the gerber forks with the rubbery handles and metal tines because they were the sharpest. Any of the "safer" looking ones were useless for poking most foods.  

• Options
    I started letting them have spoons and forks at meal time around 1.  They didn't necessarily use it then but they could play with it and get the idea of it.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We gave C a fork at 1 year. I agree with PP that we don't like the "safe" ones because they don't work.   I got some other child ones with rubber handles but sharper points and those work better.  If we load the food or help him load the food, he can take the food to his mouth perfect.  He also knows what he is supposed to do to scoop/stab the food but just isnt coordinated enough to be successful most times. 

We started by just giving him the fork and seeing what he'd do.  Then we'd load the fork and give it to him, still holding on to the end to prevent him throwing food but still letting him direct it to his mouth.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Suzi-G-Suzi-G- member

Cooper is really good w/ a fork, spoons not so much unless it's something thick that will stick to the spoon like mashed potatoes.  He's been using a fork regularly for months now though lots of the time he eats with his fingers and drums with the fork.  But whatever... Big Smile

Like melrrr said the gerber forks w/ metal tines are great the plastic forks suck for spearing things.  I also give him smaller salad forks a lot.  

My big boy is bounding towards 4! Baby brother coming in October!
    Hipster dog is not impressed.
  • Options

We started givng him a spoon at 10 months.  (Thinking this might be a little early from PP...) But it really is something for him to play with and get use to the feel of.  I load it for him and he can get it to his mouth, it might also be on his cheek and nose, but he is getting use to the idea. 

• Options
    I'm pretty sure we started early too first with a spoon and then a fork by his 1st birthday.
  • Options

imagealmond1123:
    I'm pretty sure we started early too first with a spoon and then a fork by his 1st birthday.

We bought her a little kiddie set at around 9 months. The spoon is so shallow that it's worthless, the fork she likes. But she'd rather have a big fork.

• Options
    imageSuzi-G-:

Cooper is really good w/ a fork, spoons not so much unless it's something thick that will stick to the spoon like mashed potatoes.  He's been using a fork regularly for months now though lots of the time he eats with his fingers and drums with the fork.  But whatever... Big Smile

Like melrrr said the gerber forks w/ metal tines are great the plastic forks suck for spearing things.  I also give him smaller salad forks a lot.  

We use these too.  Found them at Target.  Cohen really showed interest in using utensils earlier around 10 months and just figured why not.  He became proficient and chooses to use either or his fingers.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    jen5-03jen5-03 member

DD used a spoon off and on around a year. At 15mo she could use a fork a bit, but much preferred her fingers. Heck, she still prefers her fingers if she can get away with it.

DS loves his big sister and wants whatever she has. So he's been using a spoon since 10mo and a fork since 12mo. And I swear some nights he does a better job with it than DD does. Of course he still makes a mess of it, but if most of the food makes it in him, then it's all good.

I love IKEA kids utensils. It's a big pack with a rainbow of colors and each has a fork, spoon and knife. They are all plastic, but the fork spears things really well and the knife cuts as well as a plastic disposable knife. I take them to work sometimes to eat my lunch.

- Jena
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"