Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Best way to teach them eyes, ears, nose, mouth?

any tips on how to teach them these things? I'm not having much success!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Best way to teach them eyes, ears, nose, mouth?

• Options
    "Head, shoulders, knees and toes" song?
    WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Options
    I wouldn't sweat it at this age.  When we changed DS1's diaper we went over body parts.  We also sang the song "Head, shoulders, Knees and Toes". 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I used to point her body parts out to her when I changed her diaper..it kept her occupied and taught her at the same time. She now can point to every part of her body, including elbow, back and knee.  We also have a book that names the body parts and you life up the flap and it shows you where it is located..good luck
  • Options
    I actually just started pointing them out to her. I would show her her toes, and then ask where her toes were. It took a few tries, but she caught on. I averaged one body part a week until she was pretty good on all of them. She LOVES pointing out Mama's nose and eyes when I'm holding her.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't really "teach" Ruby, but I would talk about the parts and name them when we were changing or bathing.  I wasn't sure which ones she knew, so I asked her the other day and was surprised she could point to eyes, mouth , nose, ears, hair and tummy without any help!
  • Options

imageslmcronelaw:
    I used to point her body parts out to her when I changed her diaper..it kept her occupied and taught her at the same time. She now can point to every part of her body, including elbow, back and knee.  We also have a book that names the body parts and you life up the flap and it shows you where it is located..good luck

Dang it! I've been so impressed with all the body parts that DD knows and you just mentioned about 4 that I haven't taught her, lol!

OP, it's all about repetition, but if your LO isn't interested, don't sweat it. She won't go to Kindergarten not knowing where her nose is located. FWIW, my daughter LOVES when I label body parts for her, but could care less about shapes, colors, letters, etc....

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageSingingmama:

imageslmcronelaw:

Dang it! I've been so impressed with all the body parts that DD knows and you just mentioned about 4 that I haven't taught her, lol!

OP, it's all about repetition, but if your LO isn't interested, don't sweat it. She won't go to Kindergarten not knowing where her nose is located. FWIW, my daughter LOVES when I label body parts for her, but could care less about shapes, colors, letters, etc....

Well, to be honest, she doesn't know knee, back and elbow because of me...they were in the book I mentioned above!  I can't take the credit for those!  I honestly hadn't even thought to teach her those until I saw them in that book!

• Options
    We just point to them and say the part.  He's learning (some faster than others).  We also have a book, from the Target dollar bin, I think it's called 'eyes, noce, fingers, toes' or something similar - it's a sesame book.  It's DS's favorite!!!  At every page he points to the body part on himself and claps his hands when it says to.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We made a game of it. "Where's Daddy's nose?" "Where are Mommy's eyes?" Etc. He loves to point to his own (whatever) and then point to ours.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Agree that repetition and making a game of it helps.  Also- when DD was around 14-16 months old, she loved Sandra Boynton's Horns to Toes.  It has sing-song rhymes and it was a favorite for a long time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    With a Mr Potato Head
  • Options
    DS has a book that he loves with googly eyes & some vinyl thing for the nose on all the pages, so since he was so into it I started pointing out the nose & eyes. He caught on to the nose really quickly & now he can show us where his nose is as well as our own, but he HATES if you mention eyes. It's really funny he screams at the top of his lungs.
    Read my blog!
    Mom, why are you washing my feed in the sink?!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We found a Sesame Street board book in the $ section at Target and he seems to know what we're talking about when we read that book.  He sticks out his tongue and touches his nose when we get to those pages.  Hee hee.  Maybe start with that.  I also make honking noises when he grabs my nose and then I'll say where's my nose and he grabs it expecting me to honk.  He thinks it's the funniest thing.
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j-7oVHPeA4

this video from Sesame Street. DS loved this song and learned all the parts of his face from me pointing and singing along. 

• Options

imagerainlily:
    Agree that repetition and making a game of it helps.  Also- when DD was around 14-16 months old, she loved Sandra Boynton's Horns to Toes.  It has sing-song rhymes and it was a favorite for a long time.

DD loves this book too. Its a really cute way to go over the body parts. We also practice them when washing during bath time and during diaper changes.

imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"