Potty Training
Options

Any advice on PT a deaf 3 year old?

I am trying to figure out how to potty train my deaf three year old.  I am not sure how to explain it to him.  We do the sign for potty and he goes in the bathroom to the toilet and sits on it but does nothing.  We are at a loss.  Sometimes when we are about to give him a bath we will sit him on the toilet and then as soon as he gets in the water he pees! 

So anyway has anyone had any experience with this?

Re: Any advice on PT a deaf 3 year old?

• Options

Will he sit on the potty for a little while? Perhaps you could try pouring some warm water into the potty so he can see and perhaps feel it? That might bring on the sensation if the tub does.

No experience here, just thinking of possible solutions. GL!!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Hmm I will have to think about how to do that with out getting water everywhere but it might be worth a try!  Thanks for the idea!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    *LrCg**LrCg* member

I have no experience however, I cant imagine its much different than a hearing able child.  My DS was young when we PT him and what we did to explain was we put him in underwear and explained that underwear should be dry.  We would occasionally check his underwear and congratulate him for having dry underwear.  We would remind him that pee and poop go in the potty.  If he had a spot we'd rush him to the potty and tell him he had to go. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"