July 2011 Moms

Menu to pass 3 hour glucose test...

According to my real life friends who passed the 3 hour, they told me to do eggs for breakfast, a salad w/o dressing for lunch, and plain chicken with a plain veggie for dinner. And to drink lots and lots of water.

I'm not looking forward to this bland day of eating but I'll be so upset with myself if I fail tomorrow b/c I had too much sugar today. My friend's nurse told her eating 1 brownie the day before could mess up your reading and result in your failing!

Of course today is a day where my Rita's Ice craving is through the roof. Crying

__________________________________________________________________________________________Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Re: Menu to pass 3 hour glucose test...

• I am a little confused.  Why is it not being done on a fast?
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

image image
  • That's good to know! I thought I passed as I had my test tuesday morning and didn't hear from the Dr's office until this morning...nope...failed again! Arghhhh

So I shall follow the high protein low flavor diet...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't know how plausible that is for working, but I would suggest you don't stray from your usual diet. If you're not producing enough insulin it should be addressed and not covered up. Just don't eat a ton of sweets.
  • imagebunnybiter:
    I don't know how plausible that is for working, but I would suggest you don't stray from your usual diet. If you're not producing enough insulin it should be addressed and not covered up. Just don't eat a ton of sweets.

This. And if you have bad GD, no amount of "low carbs" the day before is going to change the results.

I'd rather know if have GD, than try to treat it like some pointless 9th grade English test that I'm trying to pass just to get a good grade.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• imagebunnybiter:
    I don't know how plausible that is for working, but I would suggest you don't stray from your usual diet. If you're not producing enough insulin it should be addressed and not covered up. Just don't eat a ton of sweets.

ITA. This totally defeats the purpose of the test, which is to diagnose a condition so that it can be managed and treated.

image image
    D: Born 7.14.11
    Baby #2: BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
    O: Born 3.2.14 (med-free!)
  • I was told by Dr. not to fast, but not to eat sweets or lots of sugar for the test (mine is 3:15 today).  I am just eating a turkey sandwich on Oat-nut bread (yes, I eat deli meat...) now and only drinking water the rest of the day.  We will see..
  • I agree with PP.  I didn't 'alter' my diet in anyway and I passed my three hour after failing my 1 hour with a 175.  You are going to fast for at least 8 hours (mine was 12) so whatever you eat should have run through your system already.  I pretty much followed the same diet I normally did.  It had already been suggested to me at my 28W appt before I even had the 1 hour to cut back on my sugar because of weight gain.  So it's not like I just ate sweets all day, but I had what I would normally eat throughout the day and passed without any issues. 

Also if you have it, you have it, changing your diet isn't going to change anything.  That's why they do the first draw before you even drink the glucola to get your fasting level. 

• imagedamabo80:

imagebunnybiter:

This. And if you have bad GD, no amount of "low carbs" the day before is going to change the results.

I'd rather know if have GD, than try to treat it like some pointless 9th grade English test that I'm trying to pass just to get a good grade.

Ditto both.  Your baby with thank you not to try to trick the test (if it's even possible).

I found out yesterday I have GD.  Not happy about it, but at least now I know what I need to do to control it.  There are very serious risks to both you and your baby, not just the possibility of growing a big baby.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagedamabo80:

imagebunnybiter:

ITA. I think that it is important to eat normally the day before. If you have GD, following this menu is not going to change anything. Just eat as you usually would so you get accurate results.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My doctor told me not to eat anything vastly different from my normal foods the few days before the test because it could skew the results and then I could have undiagnosed GD.  She told me to just skip the sugary treats. 

To me, its not worth it to do that.  I do have GD now, but I am in control of my sugars and it really isn't so much of a hassle to deal with. 

BabyName Ticker Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageShelleybell:
    I am a little confused.  Why is it not being done on a fast?

It is on a fast. I can"t eat anything after midnight. But I don't want to eat a ton of sugary foods today (for example, I'd been having lemonade every day and ice cream or Italian ice at night). I don't want those types of things to artificially skew my results and say I failed when in reality I would have passed had I not eaten poorly the day before.

__________________________________________________________________________________________Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagering_pop:

imagebunnybiter:

ITA. This totally defeats the purpose of the test, which is to diagnose a condition so that it can be managed and treated.

This exactly.

• imageSaltina11:

imageShelleybell:

It is on a fast. I can"t eat anything after midnight. But I don't want to eat a ton of sugary foods today (for example, I'd been having lemonade every day and ice cream or Italian ice at night). I don't want those types of things to artificially skew my results and say I failed when in reality I would have passed had I not eaten poorly the day before.

Here is the thing though, unless you plan on eating that low-carb diet for the rest of your pregnancy, and forgoing lemonade, ice cream and water ice for the duration of your pregnancy, you should know if your body is not producing enough insulin to handle those foods. A normal, healthy person will pass the 3 hour regardless of what they eat the day before. Trust me. I'd want to know, personally. Because otherwise you could be harming yourself and your baby.

ETA: What I am saying is you cannot artificially skew the results unless you eat during the test when you aren't supposed to. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    DD #1 born 9/07 ** DD #2 born 7/11 ** Operation Take Back My Body has begun 10/11
    Upcoming Races
    Gobble Wobble 5K 11/24/11 - Abington, PA 29:40
    Superbowl 10K 02/05/12 - Allentown, PA 54:28 PR!!!!
    Broad Street 10 Mile Run 05/06/12 - Philadelphia, PA 1:30:44
    Rock and Roll Half Marathon 09/16/12 - Philadelphia, PA
    Philadelphia (Half?!?) Marathon 11/18/12 - Philadelphia, PA
  • Also, I think it is shameful that the nurse told your friend that about the brownie. Because it is not true at all.
    DD #1 born 9/07 ** DD #2 born 7/11 ** Operation Take Back My Body has begun 10/11
    Upcoming Races
  • imageGummybear:
    Also, I think it is shameful that the nurse told your friend that about the brownie. Because it is not true at all.

That's what I was thinking. If your body can't process the sugar from a brownie in 12+ hours, the issue isn't the brownie, its your body.

• imageleighzlou:

imageGummybear:
    Also, I think it is shameful that the nurse told your friend that about the brownie. Because it is not true at all.

That's what I was thinking. If your body can't process the sugar from a brownie in 12+ hours, the issue isn't the brownie, its your body.

EXACTLY. If you still have a high reading from something you ate the day before, you have an eff'ing problem.

Upcoming Races
  • imageGummybear:
    imageSaltina11:

imageShelleybell:

Here is the thing though, unless you plan on eating that low-carb diet for the rest of your pregnancy, and forgoing lemonade, ice cream and water ice for the duration of your pregnancy, you should know if your body is not producing enough insulin to handle those foods. A normal, healthy person will pass the 3 hour regardless of what they eat the day before. Trust me. I'd want to know, personally. Because otherwise you could be harming yourself and your baby.

ETA: What I am saying is you cannot artificially skew the results unless you eat during the test when you aren't supposed to. 

This exactly--couldn't have said it better.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • imageGummybear:

Interesting. The nurse even told her she should not take her 3 hr test the next day (because she had eaten the brownie), and to reschedule it for later in the week and to watch what she ate until then!

• imageSaltina11:

imageGummybear:

Interesting. The nurse even told her she should not take her 3 hr test the next day (because she had eaten the brownie), and to reschedule it for later in the week and to watch what she ate until then!

MH is a Type 1 diabetic, so I have a pretty good understanding about how blood sugar/insulin production works. I don't claim to be an expert or a medical professional, but the whole basis of ANY diabetes is your body either isn't producing enough insulin to counteract what you eat, or your body is resistant to/not able to use the insulin your body is producing. A normal, healthy body will immediately begin producing and processing insulin to lower blood sugar, and will "balance" itself out within a couple hours. If you are still feeling the effects of a sweet food several hours or DAYS after eating it as indicated by elevated blood sugar levels, you have a problem. It is my opinion that the nurse who said that is 100% wrong.

Upcoming Races
  • imageGummybear:
    imageSaltina11:

imageGummybear:

MH is a Type 1 diabetic, so I have a pretty good understanding about how blood sugar/insulin production works. I don't claim to be an expert or a medical professional, but the whole basis of ANY diabetes is your body either isn't producing enough insulin to counteract what you eat, or your body is resistant to/not able to use the insulin your body is producing. A normal, healthy body will immediately begin producing and processing insulin to lower blood sugar, and will "balance" itself out within a couple hours. If you are still feeling the effects of a sweet food several hours or DAYS after eating it as indicated by elevated blood sugar levels, you have a problem. It is my opinion that the nurse who said that is 100% wrong.

I appreciate your thoughts. It's definitely encouraging me to eat my Rita's Ice (as long as it's before midnight of course) b/c I do definitely want to know if I legitimately have GD.

• imageSaltina11:
    imageGummybear:
    imageSaltina11:

imageGummybear:

I appreciate your thoughts. It's definitely encouraging me to eat my Rita's Ice (as long as it's before midnight of course) b/c I do definitely want to know if I legitimately have GD.

I hope you don't think I am flaming you, btw. I just get itchy when I see things one here that medical professionals tell their patients that simply are not true. I would enjoy your water ice, get a small, and maybe take a nice long walk afterwards (which naturally lowers blood sugar). FTR, the best way to "trick" the test would be to jog the hallways during the 3 hour test. But I bet they don't allow thatStick out tongue Like I said, MH is T1, and he (an insulin dependent diabetic) can lower his  blood sugar w/o any insulin at all simply by exercising. Not sure of this works for GD as well, but it it can't hurt (the walking after the Ritas, not running the halls, lol)

Upcoming Races
  • I failed my 1-hour test and passed my 3-hour test.  My doctor actually instucted me to carb load 3 days prior to the test and then to fast after midnight.  I have also heard this from other people.  You may want to check with your doctor. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"