Military Families

Something you should know about Tricare

I keep seeing posts about people saying they have to be on standard because they are so far away from a MTF. Not true

Did you know you can be no where near a MTF or even a military installation and still be on Prime. 

I lived no where close to any post/base nearest was 7 hours away and I was still able to have prime. I just looked on the tricare site found a provider in my area called up tricare and switched. Not hard at all.

Food for thought!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Something you should know about Tricare

• It is called Tricare Prime Remote.  I had that when I was stationed as a recruiter.  We used civilian care for medical and there were no copays, same for pharmacy. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You have/had TRICARE PRIME REMOTE, not TRICARE PRIME.  TRICARE Management Aactivity (TMA) is very clear, that there is a radius or Catchment Area that surrounds the base's Military Treatment Facility (MTF).  

Those ADSM and their dependents who live and WORK 50 miles or an hour drivce time from a MTF are required to participate in TPR.  https://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/home/overview/Plans/LearnAboutPlansAndCosts/TRICAREPrimeRemote

If your Sponsor works for a Military Base with a MTF, but chooses to live outside the Catchment Area, then you (the beneficiary) are SOL.  Its a choice you make.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • I have Prime Remote and love it
    m/c @ 6 weeks - March 2013 
    m/c @ 5 weeks - April 2013 
    m/c @ 7 weeks - December 2013, D & C 12/27/2013 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• imageMallardDucky:

I keep seeing posts about people saying they have to be on standard because they are so far away from a MTF. Not true

Did you know you can be no where near a MTF or even a military installation and still be on Prime. 

I lived no where close to any post/base nearest was 7 hours away and I was still able to have prime. I just looked on the tricare site found a provider in my area called up tricare and switched. Not hard at all.

Food for thought!

They told me because my PCP was within 30 mins of my house (my OBG is 2 hours) that i didnt qualify for Prime Remote

Army Wife1 BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imageEpeter1:
    imageMallardDucky:

Food for thought!

They told me because my PCP was within 30 mins of my house (my OBG is 2 hours) that i didnt qualify for Prime Remote

Was the OBGYN you chose the only option or were there some closer to home? 
  • I am over a hour from the closest Army base (HAA), and close to two hours from my husbands assigned base (FSGA). I have Prime, not Prime Remote, and I go to civilian doctors in the same city as the closet base (HAA).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I moved during my husband deployment, I was 70 miles from the closest MTF. I still had Prime and was seen by a civilian Dr. who accepted it. It was NOT remote.
    TTC#1 since Dec. 2010- 12/2011 Hyperthyroid with Grave's
    10/2012= DX unexplained IF
    IUI #2- 4/25/13- BFP 5/9/13- CP
    IUI#4- 9/3/13- BFP 9/17/13- EDD 05/27/14
    First ultrasound 10/8/13- 7weeks 130bpm
    12/23/13 18 weeks 152bpm BABY GIRL!
    Annabel Rose
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • All I can tell you is that when I temporarily moved home during DH's deployment, I was an hour away from the closest base (and I'm not sure they even have a hospital) and all my care was about 45min away from where I was at.  Although I had to switch from TriWest to TriNorth for that time, I was still on Tricare Prime (not Tricare Prime Remote). 
  • imageArmyQM:
    imageEpeter1:
    imageMallardDucky:

Food for thought!

Was the OBGYN you chose the only option or were there some closer to home? 

The one the go to now is 5 minutes down the street.  But the OBG they wanted me to go to on prime was 2 hours away. I was told that because my primary care doc was within 30 minutes of my home  that  i HAD to go to the other base unless i switched to standard.
    On standard my doc is right up the street, as is my delivering hospital.

• imageMrsRedWings:
    I am over a hour from the closest Army base (HAA), and close to two hours from my husbands assigned base (FSGA). I have Prime, not Prime Remote, and I go to civilian doctors in the same city as the closet base (HAA).

I was told the rule is  if you live within 30 mins of a base you HAVE to go to the base if you have prime. If you live further away then that, then they let you go to a civilian doc.  I live within 30 min of my PCP but not the OBG....they ssaid it didnt matter...and they wouldnt let me switch to remote...said it wouldn't matter....

So i switched to standard 

• I had Tricare Prime  (south) not Tricare remote.

• There seems to be so much confusion about this. Tricare needs to make this more clear.

From my knowledge, all those who have active duty service members can participate in Tricare Prime Remote if over 50 miles from an MTF. Many Primary Care Physicians take Tricare Prime Remote.

But, like me I have a medically retired sponsor, so we are only allowed to either use Tricare Prime and Tricare Standard when over 50 miles from an MTF. Tricare Prime makes it much harder to find Primary Care Physicians.

Just my 2 cents.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"