Missouri Babies

Water birth/natural birth options in K.C.?

Has anyone out there succesfully had a water birth at a local K.C. hospital?  I delivered my first baby at NKC Hospital with Dr. Rosbrugh from Heartland Womens' Healthcare.  It wasn't a bad experience, but wasn't really the natural birth experience I wanted.  I've heard rumors that Research Medical Center in midtown allows water births but it is dependent upon the ob/midwife provider. 

So has anyone had a water birth or a more natural birth (allowed to move around, didn't have to do all the pushing on your back) in a hospital setting in the K.C. area?  It seems like the options are extremely limited here in K.C.

Thanks!

Re: Water birth/natural birth options in K.C.?

• I went to Sheila Roth w/ Midwest Midwifery at Research and was thrilled.  I could have done a water birth, but opted not to do so. Our experience was amazing, and we were thrilled and blessed that all went "as planned", which I understand is rare.  Can't say enough good things about the experience.  Sheila and Katie Lorand are my favorite of the 3 midwives in the group, but that's purely a personal preference.
    Maria BabyFruit Ticker
  • Did you know about all the free standing birth centers that are popping up in  Kansas City?

Check out Midwives of Kansas City (Suzanne Ryan, developing birth center) as well as New Birth Company (developing)

• Loading the player...
  • Hi Maria,

Can I PM you for more information?

Thanks!

• imagecantwait410-6:
    I went to Sheila Roth w/ Midwest Midwifery at Research and was thrilled.  I could have done a water birth, but opted not to do so. Our experience was amazing, and we were thrilled and blessed that all went "as planned", which I understand is rare.  Can't say enough good things about the experience.  Sheila and Katie Lorand are my favorite of the 3 midwives in the group, but that's purely a personal preference.

Thank you so much for this information! I have spent hours searching for natural birth options in the KC area.  

• I'm ready excited to visit the New Birth Center in Overland Park. I hate the idea of being hooked up to monitors, having an unnecessary IV, not being able to walk and having to push on my back. I've followed their blog and FB page, and am super excited to be fully supported for a natural birth.
    April 2012 Mamas Blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Look! I put the diaper on the baby! image Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest

• Hi there-

I'm hardly ever on this website, so just saw your message!  Though I just found out I'm 6 weeks into my 2nd pregnancy, so I'll probably be on here more often.....Anyway, if you still want info, feel free to contact me at mcd12476@yahoo.com.

Maria BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm new to all of this but I knew before I got pregnant that I want a natural birth! but how does it work with a Midwife as far as insurance goes???
  • I am going to a birthing center in Independence, not too far from the KC area.  https://motherslovebirthcenter.com/   I am not due til January but I really like her so far!!  :)
  • My midwives work w/in a group that includes OBs.  So I believe most (if not all) are part of a medical group, which is who bills your insurance.  At least that's how it works at Midwest Midwifery.  The midwives are also Nurse Pracs.
    Maria BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had a water birth with my second baby at New Birth Company in Overland Park. I just paid my standard 10% copayment for their services because they were in network with my insurance. I had a great experience with them!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"