3rd Trimester

Allie as a first name?

DH and I have narrowed down names, and almost exclusively have been calling her Allie.  We keep getting comments and questions that we should make Allie short for Allison - but I don't like the name Allison.  My husband's name is Michael, but he never went by Michael, he went by Mike - and didn't like that his name was short for something else.  What are your thoughts, do you think it's odd to have what the majority of people would consider a nickname as the first name?  Specifically the name Allie..

[Poll]
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Allie as a first name?

• Having "nicknames" as first names is so common now, I wouldn't think anything of it. Plus, I love the name Allie.
  • My husband and I are in the same boat... we both love the name Lexie and have taken to call our LO Lexie since we found her gender out lol. All of our family and friends want us to name her Alexis or Alexandra but I can't help but think of her as Lex.. or Lexie 

I am going with my gut  

• Loading the player...
  • Allie can be short for other names besides Allison- Alice, Alicia, Ainsley, Ashley, Alyssa, Alexis, and Alexandria just to name a few.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I voted "I think it's weird."  I just like NN to be just that--NN.  When it comes down to it, just do whatever you want.

FWIW...Allie doesn't have to be short for Allison.  There are lots of pretty Al...names.

Alexandra

Alexis

Alicia

Alexa

Also, this negates what I just said, but if it makes you feel any better Allie is listed as a full name and is German for "a noble birth."  So at least it has a nice meaning.

• I have a 20 month old niece Ali which isn't short for anything and I love it. :)
  • My legal name is Katie, named after my grandmother, Kathryn, but she went by Katie.  I have periodically corrected people that call me Kathryn throughout my life, but it has never bothered me and I like my 'nickname.'  Don't know if this helps or not...

I think you should go with the name that is meaningful to you and that you like. :)

• I voted that it's perfect the way it is, but I do think it's weird when people make nicknames that are longer than the shortened name. I knew a guy named Jon, not Johnathan, Jon, and his parents called him Jonny. I also knew a guy who went by Jack (he claimed it as his middle name) but his middle name was just J, nothing else, just the letter.

Anyways, point is, I think Allie is great. There's no reason to have it longer, especially if you don't like the longer versions of the NN. I'm partial to longer versions just so the child has more choices when they get older, but that's not going to stop me from calling them the NN I wanted to give him.

• I always do the resume test. I think formal names look better for adults and they can always go by their became anyway. My brothers name is Rocky and people never believe hum that it's his real name.
  • Became = nickname and hum= himm. Sorry I'm on my droid.
  • I love the name, and in fact, my cousin named her daughter just Allie (and I'm Alyson, and DH calls me Aly), but I really feel that it's important to have the full name, especially if she wants to have a more professional sounding name as she gets older and starts a career.  I don't think there is anything wrong with using just Allie if you want, but I'm just a little old fashioned I guess.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't like nicknames as given names. I know a Jenny and a Mandy and they both have said that they dislike the lack of options it gives them. I tend to agree (I have a name that has no good nicknames, so I am on the opposite end). 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • One of my best friends just named her daughter Alli, and they got the same comments. It's just Alli, not a nn and they are happy with it. I say go for it if it makes you happy!

• Allie sounds like a little girl's name to me; I wouldn't want to go by just Allie as an adult. 
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"