September 2011 Moms

My 18 month olds first hair cut and possibly hair dye???

Hello out there!  I need some advice... I know in advance that this topic may be controversial to some but I would really like some honest advice from some other moms out there!  My DD is 18 months old and unfortunatly she was born with red hair.... And when I say red, I really mean orange! (Keep your fingers crossed that baby number 2 due in September has a more normal hair color!)  I knew this was a possibility because my DH had orange hair when he was a child but luckily it eventually darkened up and is now more brown in color.  I think that it is time for my DD first hair cut and my DH came up with an idea.. Maybe we can dye our DD hair!  I know this may seem a bit out of the ordinary, but think about it, when people don't like the color of their hair they change it!  When we go out in public, people stare at my poor DD like she has a disease, and if I hear the word "ginger" one more time I think I might just puke! Ick! Red/Orange hair is just not desirable in our society and I don't want my DD to go through what my DH went through as a child (he was teased....Alot!)  Its not like I would do a drastic color change or anything.. Maybe just a few shades in a more beautiful direction.  So my question is, shoud I go lighter, like a strawberry blonde? Or a light brown?  Thanks so much ladies and good luck with everything!

Re: My 18 month olds first hair cut and possibly hair dye???

• My honest opinion:  It is insane to dye an infant's hair.  Also, you are not teaching good body image by going and dying her hair.  You're pretty much saying, "there's something wrong with you."  Not good for any one's self-esteem.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

my angel babies: 6/10 (chem. pg), 9/10 @ 10 weeks
  • ..Joined today..First post.. MUD?..

Good luck finding a salon to dye the kid..

I feel bad for your kid though..only 18 months old and already making them feel bad about their appearance. Class A parent.

BTW.. Red is "Normal" .. 

• Loading the player...
  • Is it truth or dare day or something?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAzrayla:

..Joined today..First post.. MUD?..

I really hope so; otherwise...just wow.

my angel babies: 6/10 (chem. pg), 9/10 @ 10 weeks
  • Really? What's wrong with orange hair? I thought everybody loved redheads.

My advice is to figure out how to make your daughters uniqe qualities work for her, and teach her how to do so when she gets older.

I had super curly hair when I was a kid, and my mom kept trying to work against it, instead of work with it- I basically walked around with an afro my entire childhood, and this was not when afros were in style. There was nothing wrong with my hair, now I get compliments on it all the time, I just had to learn how to work with it.

To sum up: different is good when it comes to hair. Talk to a talented stylist.

• you're kidding right? lmao
    336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lol at dying her natural hair a more "natural" color.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If this isn't MUD, OP is obviously fvcked up in the head.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • This has to be MUD. If not, I feel bad for this little girl. You should celebrate her uniqueness, not try to hide it and basically tell her it is ugly. 
  • Im just gonna be blunt, Your a shitty person... Talk about giving your child a complex. Do YOU make comments about her hair to her? Even though shes only 18 months, she can feel your negativity. Embrace her hair and make her feel comfortable being her. Wow.
  • All I have to say is that you'd better be glad you posted on this board instead of one of the trimester boards (2nd to be specific).  They would have torn you to pieces by now.
  • imagephishphood:
    My honest opinion:  It is insane to dye an infant's hair.  Also, you are not teaching good body image by going and dying her hair.  You're pretty much saying, "there's something wrong with you."  Not good for any one's self-esteem.

I agree, when she gets older and I'm talking teens, I can see it being different.. but to dye an 18 month olds hair and expose her to those chemicals at such a young age.. is crazy..

• If this isn't MUD you can just go ahead and give me your redhaired children because I would adore a redhead, just like my husband. Red Hair is VERY desired in this house.

Grow up, grow a pair, and tell people to fvck off when they make negative comments about your child.

• Really?! I agree with all PP... She's only 18 months, leave her hair alone!!! Crazy woman!
  • You guys are crazy to think that she won't get made fun of... Fortunatlly I am a realist and I know that people are mean and cruel out there (Some people who posted on this made a perfect example of that by calling a complete stranger "shitty).  I know that people can be mean and all I am doing is protecting my DD.. I can gaurentee that most of you all have dyed your hair at one point or another, so what it the problem in this?  I don't want my DD to get teased, and if adults are already gawking at her in public then what do you think kids on a playground will do to her?  You guys need to stop looking at the world through rose colored glasses and realize that there are ways around being teased... I can tell my DD that she is beautiful all the time (which i do) but that alone will never negate the daily riducule that she is going to recieve (as evidance from my DH past).  Everyone knows that red hair is "different" and if you don't think that red heads get teased, you are being extremely nieve...  You wanna know what I think is funny?  That I have a "different" opinion/idea/thought and I was riduculed for it....  BY ADULTS!  So what makes you think that children are any better at accepting peoples differences if you adults can't even do it?  It's parents like you all (who ridicule, judge, and talk harshly to other people) that make parents like me feel like I need to do something to protect my DD..  You all should be ashamed of that way that you spoke to me.....
  • I looooove red headed babies! My DH's cousin is a redhead and I keep hoping those recessive genes sneak into our offstprings'.

You should embrace your baby's unique coloring. It can only help her to grow up being proud of it herself.

TTC since 10/07
    11 medicated cycles
    including...
    4 IUIs*5 IVFs*1 FET
    2 chemical pregnancies*missed m/c @8w 9/09*missed (twin) m/c @8w 5/10
    Laparoscopic myomectomy 8/10

Chromosomal translocation of #2 now requires ICSI and PGD

IVF #4= success!!! G-man born 8/18/11

IVF #5 2/2013 = N born 10/10/13 at 35w3d

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Don't feed the troll.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • What a beautiful MUDdy Sunday morning..... *yawn*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • this is just a poor attempt at MUD that's a spinoff of the plastic surgery at age 7 post the other day. 
  • imagecinsere2011:
    You guys are crazy to think that she won't get made fun of... Fortunatlly I am a realist and I know that people are mean and cruel out there (Some people who posted on this made a perfect example of that by calling a complete stranger "shitty).  I know that people can be mean and all I am doing is protecting my DD.. I can gaurentee that most of you all have dyed your hair at one point or another, so what it the problem in this?  I don't want my DD to get teased, and if adults are already gawking at her in public then what do you think kids on a playground will do to her?  You guys need to stop looking at the world through rose colored glasses and realize that there are ways around being teased... I can tell my DD that she is beautiful all the time (which i do) but that alone will never negate the daily riducule that she is going to recieve (as evidance from my DH past).  Everyone knows that red hair is "different" and if you don't think that red heads get teased, you are being extremely nieve...  You wanna know what I think is funny?  That I have a "different" opinion/idea/thought and I was riduculed for it....  BY ADULTS!  So what makes you think that children are any better at accepting peoples differences if you adults can't even do it?  It's parents like you all (who ridicule, judge, and talk harshly to other people) that make parents like me feel like I need to do something to protect my DD..  You all should be ashamed of that way that you spoke to me.....

Please go away...and seek help elsewhere....I feel like crying for your DD right now...

• I won't speak to the apparent parenting issues that this presents because it's not my child and not my decision, but...

before you dye your child's hair, please look into all of the detrimental effects it will have on her hair. Putting all of those chemicals on a small child's hair will cause premature hair loss and thinning of the hairs. The chemicals will burn her poor little scalp (as an adult, hair dye burns, so imagine what it would be like for an infant!). If when she's older, she doesn't like her hair color and wants to change it, let her make an informed decision on her own, but please don't dye her hair for her at such a young age.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • She is 18 months! You go on about people will judge or tease her.. What are YOU doing?! The fact that you dont love your DD for who she is, a beautiful little girl with red hair is insane.. Even considering dying a toddlers head is absolutely insane... Go ask your pediatrician about this subject, I doubt he would say sure go ahead!. Common sense hun....
  • All the a$$holes this place is raining is making my Sunday very MUDdy so far.

OP, get a life, there is not a soul on here who believes that you are posting a real issue.

• MUD

Buy your kid a hat.. or get a life.

Either way. 

• Take it from someone who has red hair (hence the screen name "Ginger"ness) I love my red hair, I love that it is different, I love that some other women spend thousands of dollars trying to get it like mine, and I even love the nickname ginger. As a child I think I was called a carrot-top maybe twice, but because I knew how lucky I was to have my color hair, I knew it was just a weak try from the other kids who felt left out for NOT having hair like mine. In these situations, even a a child, I just laughed it off and the kids gave up. I guess your DD will only be able to do this if you support her. All my teachers in school always said how beautiful my hair was, making all the other kids jealous (loved this too!) I didn't have to buy the latest style clothing or the newest technology, I just showed uo with my "natural" beauty! 

So no, do not dye her hair. If she doesn't love it now, she will later and laugh at the times when she didn't. But for some reason I get the feeling that YOU are the one who doesn't love it, whille DD has no idea whats going on. If this is the case, then I laugh at you for the day when she grows up and gets compliment after compliment and you yourself will be jealous of your own child, trust me, it's in your future.

Oh and I want to add that my hair is also wildly curly, so I was a double-whammy of different, natural, crazy hair that I LOVE!

I will also add that since I announced my pregnancy, EVERYONE is actually praying that I have redheaded kids. Why? Because they are ADORABLE!!

Good luck to your DD!

• What the EFFFFFFFF??????????

I have red hair, and I LOVE my red hair.  I never knew my grandfather, but I always loved when people would tell me my hair was the same color of my grandpa's.  I was never once teased because of the color of my hair. 

Why would you even THINK this is ok?  It's insane!  Let your daughter make the decision when she is old enough is she wants to dye her hair.  You're going to give the poor kid a complex!!  Since when is it socially unacceptable to have red hair??

Sorry, you irk me.

I wish for my child to have red hair, and I can't wait for September to find out.

•  ARE YOU KIDDING ME??What a horribly selfish person you are. it is your daughters right to dye her hair if SHE doesnt like her hair. she may grow to love her hair color why in the world would you want to take that from her! That is just wrong in sooo many different ways!! You should love your daughter no matter how she looks. She should ALWAYS be beautiful in your eyes. what kind of mother are you to even think that! That makes me sick! i feel so sorry for your daughter! As for people staring at you when your in public GET OVER IT. its probably because people love red heads.
  • If this is 3-6 playing Truth or Dare again, you guys need to get a life.  This sh!t is getting really old.
  • imagejakstr0808:
    Hey Ginger and boxer, should we make our own little group of outcasts since we're socially undesirable?? Lol

I know, right?  We can call it the Ginger Kid Support Group.

• I really do hope this is MUD, but regardless I have 2 absolutely stunning SIL's with red hair - yes the orange red hair! And they lovingly refers to themselves as the "gingers" or even the "cheetos". You know why? Because THEY OWN IT! No one can make fun of them for it because they know how special and unique they are, never once having to dye their hair a different shade or try to change their looks to look/feel beautiful because they already are, naturally! I would LOVE to have a daughter that looked like them.
    336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • my honest opinion is that you are doing much more damage than any child teasing her would do! I hope this is MUD because it makes me sick. You are teaching your daughter to be ashamed of her hair. How you could think your daughters hair or anything about her is ugly is beyond me. I have a 20 month old and he is BEAUTIFUL to me. if you didn't want kids with red hair you shouldn't have married somebody who had red hair as a child. Teach your daughter to be proud of her beautiful hair, instead of ashamed.
  • Please don't dye her hair.  Lots of people in my family have hair of all shades of red and it's a "normal color" to us.  It would be best if you could embrace it and raise her to have confidence about all of her features rather than try to hide them. 

I get that you are concerned about your daughters confidence, but I really think dying her hair is not the way to deal with that, especially at such a young age.  Kids will make fun of whatever they can find to make fun of (adults too sometimes), but everyone has a physical feature that someone can make fun of (big nose, too skinny/big, too tall/short, etc).  The way to deal with people is to deal with yourself first. If you raise her to be confident, teasing wont bother her as much.

Be proud of your little Strawberry Shortcake!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageTheFannins729:
    this is just a poor attempt at MUD that's a spinoff of the plastic surgery at age 7 post the other day. 

This is immediately where my mind went. I'm not sure I ever remember a child being made fun of because of their hair color.

January Siggy Challenge: You had one job

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagecinsere2011:
    You guys are crazy to think that she won't get made fun of... Fortunatlly I am a realist and I know that people are mean and cruel out there (Some people who posted on this made a perfect example of that by calling a complete stranger "shitty).  I know that people can be mean and all I am doing is protecting my DD.. I can gaurentee that most of you all have dyed your hair at one point or another, so what it the problem in this?  I don't want my DD to get teased, and if adults are already gawking at her in public then what do you think kids on a playground will do to her?  You guys need to stop looking at the world through rose colored glasses and realize that there are ways around being teased... I can tell my DD that she is beautiful all the time (which i do) but that alone will never negate the daily riducule that she is going to recieve (as evidance from my DH past).  Everyone knows that red hair is "different" and if you don't think that red heads get teased, you are being extremely nieve...  You wanna know what I think is funny?  That I have a "different" opinion/idea/thought and I was riduculed for it....  BY ADULTS!  So what makes you think that children are any better at accepting peoples differences if you adults can't even do it?  It's parents like you all (who ridicule, judge, and talk harshly to other people) that make parents like me feel like I need to do something to protect my DD..  You all should be ashamed of that way that you spoke to me.....

Never dyed my hair.  And if I did it would have been my decisions not my moms decision.  And never would I have been a baby....or a child....and seriously.....put on your big girl panties or go elsewhere. 

• One, my DH was adopted so unfortunatly all of his childhood pictures, were lost in translation.  The only childhood pictures that he has were after he adopted and outgrew his orange hair.  And the fact that he had red hair as a child never came up during our dating life (we would often go to the movies).

• I have been officially insulted as I am a redhead. I have orange hair that is very curly. People pay thousands of dollars to have red hair. If your baby could tell you how she feels about her red hair I bet she tell you to suck it. I sure as heck would. 

WOW - (I saw this posted before by someone else and thought it was appropriate).

• The only thing kids will say is "carrot top" which I would reply carrot tops are green. ha! She will get asked does the carpets match the drapes. BIG DEAL! It made me such a stronger person who could deal with a lot. When I got older everyone wanted red curly hair. All the girls who once made fun of me were jealous because my hair could curl and look way better than theirs. 
  • I'm hoping this is lame MUD, but otherwise, I think you are disgusting. To even consider dying this child's hair is ridiculous. YOU are going to make her feel bad about herself as she grows up. To hell with the other kids when she has parents like you.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"