School-Aged Children
Options

Do you peel carrots?

Okay, I used to buy all canned/ some frozen veggies and I am making an effort to buy fresh produce instead. I am also branching out with fruit and buying something new each week to try- Of course the girls love it.

So I bought a bunch of organic carrots to put in a roast. I remember peeling them when I helped my mom in the kitchen, but is this still done? Is there a reason for it? B/c I am looking at these darn carrots and I don't see the reason here. Thanks a bunch if you answer my silly question. :) 

Re: Do you peel carrots?

• Options
    I peel whole carrots.  I don't peel baby carrots.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I only peel whole carrots and not baby carrots. Honestly, I am sure there is a logical reason why we peel carrots but I do it because that is how I was taught to. I think it has something to do with the tough skin and bacteria but not sure...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageali-1411:
    I peel whole carrots.  I don't peel baby carrots.

This!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    whole carrots, yes I peel them
  • Options

We peel them. 

Funny, though - I just read something about this yesterday!  There's a magazine called Cook's Illustrated.  Someone wrote in asking this very question - is it necessary to peel carrots.  So, they cooked some peeled and some scrubbed un-peeled.  They then ate them raw and cooked.  Apparently, the unpeeled carrots had a bitter taste, and the unpeeled skin got wrinkled and tough when cooked.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    No, I never have. 
  • Options
    imagelindac:

We peel them. 

Funny, though - I just read something about this yesterday!  There's a magazine called Cook's Illustrated.  Someone wrote in asking this very question - is it necessary to peel carrots.  So, they cooked some peeled and some scrubbed un-peeled.  They then ate them raw and cooked.  Apparently, the unpeeled carrots had a bitter taste, and the unpeeled skin got wrinkled and tough when cooked.

This is pretty much the only reason I found that it is done. I ended up not peeling them. My mom said the same thing, they just look prettier and don't taste as bitter. Personally, I think it tasted fine, so I probably won't be a peeler. lol

Thanks for all the different opinions!! 

• Options

I only peel bulk grocery carrots.  If they are local or organic, then I will just wash them off.

I am not worried about the chemicals, but I DO think that commercial carrots have a different taste. 

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"