Northern California Babies
Options

Developmental Milestones

How much do/did you stress about the developmental milestones, especially when DC was very young?

I fee like I'm getting caught up in what she should or could be doing now and it's starting to stress me out. On the other hand, I don't want to ignore warning signs. Everything I've read says she should be tracking moving objects with her eyes, and she rarely does that. She also doesn't do push ups when she's on her belly...she lifts her head fine, but doesn't do a push up. Then again, I really have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for. Like a full military-style push up (lol)?

This obsessiveness is something I really don't want to put on her unless it's necessary. Basically I'm trying to figure out if I should just chill and let her be, or if I should be concerned and stick to what the books say she should be doing right now.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Developmental Milestones

• Options
    Honestly, I feel like the first baby in a family develops slower then children born after them. I did not walk until I was a year, but my younger sister started walking at 7 months because she wanted to keep up with me. The younger kids always want to do and keep up with their older siblings so they do things faster IMO.
  • Options

First of all stop stressing about her development all babies grow and develop at different rates. That said those developmental books track ABOUT when she should be doing something. If she is a week or two late don't worry. As for the push up thing, do her shoulders leave the floor even a little? If so that is a push up, if she is still just turning her head to the side then it isn't. I am sure she is doing great Katie. Take some time an enjoy her moments now and what she can do now. These first few months fly by and you don't get them back.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Take the book & throw it out the window.   No, really though, read it once to find out what's to come & then put it down.

If it's something that she does, but not frequently, don't fret.  If it's something she may be growing towards, encourage her.  If it's something she's mastered & then it goes away - then you may have cause for concern.

If anything makes you worry, email her Pedi if it's not life threatening.

BTW, where do you go?  SR, what pedi?

• Options
    I always stressed and still do. I had a couple of friends who had kids before me and they were constantly hounding me on what new milestones the boys were doing. Most of the time the boys never hit them on the targets but usually a month or so later....so then I had to calm myself down by saying, "they are preemies..and boys to boot. They will do it on their own terms." It helped some times but the worry and stress is still there. I was always asking the pedi what she thought and if I was missing something and so far everything has turned out ok. The other thing that always seemed to happen was if I would discuss about what Aiden was or wasn't doing, he'd go around and do whatever it was I was talking about within days. He showed me! Wink
  • Options

Julie is totally right.  Mason will sometimes start to develop 2 skills at once.  The one that easiest to accomplish will be mastered first, while the other one takes a back seat. 

For instance language & walking.  Experimenting more with sound came about the same time that Mason began to cruise around furniture.  He became facinated with his new freedom, so bantering coos with me went away for a while.

Definately take that into consideration.  And always default to Pedi.

• Options

imageMrsJulieT:
    I wouldn't stress about it. Your pedi should ask you at her well baby checks. If you say no to something then the two of you can talk about it. Every well baby check there is a new list of questions as to what Ryan is or is not doing.

I agree 100%

Mama to Z - 5.5 years, G - 3.5 years, & M - 1.5 years.
  • Options
    I didn't or wasn't until recently. My dr was a little concerned about M at her 6mos appt. She's now 1yr and it's still a issue.
  • Options
    i forget, was she born early?  if so, use her adjusted age, so her age had she been born at 40 weeks gestation.  most health care professionals would use the adjusted age when looking at developmental milestones until they are 2 years old.
  • Options

I say try not to worry about it. I know it is easier said than done, I get those weekly emails from baby center, and every week I think "uh oh Natalie is behind"  But she is doing other things that aren't on those emails, so I don't fret about it too much. I know that she'll catch up and my pedi isn't concerned.

Are you taking her to SR for a pedi or Petaluma?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"