July 2011 Moms
Options

Is Pack 'N Play safe for sleeping?

I don't want to sound like a paranoid first-timer here, but we're going to do everything we can to minimize SIDS risks.  I know one thing that lowers the risk is sleeping in the same room as the baby. We were considering having the baby in a Pack 'N Play in our room until he's a little bit older.  However, it's also recommended to have the baby sleep on a firm surface with no blankets.  Aren't the nappers in a Pack 'N Play really soft and cozy?  I don't want to take one step to reduce risk but then add a risk factor into the equation.  Big Smile

Any thoughts? 

PhotobucketLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Is Pack 'N Play safe for sleeping?

• Options
    The pack in play is pretty sturdy- at least ours is!  She slept in it at the lake on my parents boat and we would just put her in a diaper then a sleeper (lightweight) and put her in the bassinet thing.  The piece that goes in the bottom when you don't use the bassinet anymore goes in the bassinet- and it's hard.  I have to say it actually looks uncomfy to me- but babies are supposed to be in that- so there ya go!
    image Momma to Ms. C age 16 months and Mr. C age 3 months!
  • Options
    My DD slept in the bassinet portion of our pack n play for the first 2 weeks and she sleeps in it any time that we travel.  We haven't had any issues using it.  
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    CMM05CMM05 member

If you are asking if they are "approved" for overnight sleeping, the answer is no.

Do a lot of people use them for sleeping? yes.

If you really want a safe place for the baby to sleep.....I highly recommend the FP Rock N Play Sleeper. It is approved for sleeping....one of the few products besides a crib on the market that is approved for sleeping and it is an amazing product :) 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DS slept in the pack n play in our room until he was 3 months old. The bassinet attachment on ours was not soft and cozy, and he didn't have any blankets or stuffed animals in his sleeping area. I know a lot of people who have done this. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers pregnancy calendar
  • Options

@CMM05- where did you see a pack 'n play isn't approved for sleeping?

we had planned to bypass a crib and use a pack 'n play (w/bassinet) because we live in an apt in nyc and this will work with our space.  our friends who live in the same apartment as we do have done this for 18 months with their child and it seemed really practical especially when you move the baby from your bedroom to the living space...

agree that while it doesn't "look" comfy babies don't really care about thread counts at that age :)  

need to do my research if it isn't approved!!  thanks! :)

• Options

imageKittahMama:
    The pack in play is pretty sturdy- at least ours is!  She slept in it at the lake on my parents boat and we would just put her in a diaper then a sleeper (lightweight) and put her in the bassinet thing.  The piece that goes in the bottom when you don't use the bassinet anymore goes in the bassinet- and it's hard.  I have to say it actually looks uncomfy to me- but babies are supposed to be in that- so there ya go!

This. Our LO will sleep in the top part {bassinet part} of the pack 'n play for the first couple of months until he's sleeping longer through the night.

ETA: "The Pack 'N Play can be used as a playard, bassinet, or sleeping crib." https://www.gracobaby.com/Instruction%20Manuals/archive/374.pdf

Photobucket
  • Options
    CMM05CMM05 member
    image2Travelerz:

@CMM05- where did you see a pack 'n play isn't approved for sleeping?

we had planned to bypass a crib and use a pack 'n play (w/bassinet) because we live in an apt in nyc and this will work with our space.  our friends who live in the same apartment as we do have done this for 18 months with their child and it seemed really practical especially when you move the baby from your bedroom to the living space...

agree that while it doesn't "look" comfy babies don't really care about thread counts at that age :)  

need to do my research if it isn't approved!!  thanks! :)

Here is what the manual says: " When used as a sleeping crib or bassinet, you must still provide the supervision necessary for the continued safety of your child." 

While this seems like common sense, you do not see these type of "legal liability" comments on items like the Rock N Play Sleeper (which specifically states that it is approved for NIGHTTIME sleeping) or a crib in general.

Tons of people use the PNP for sleeping and it is fine. My sons have slept in one for a night or two, but I personally wouldn't use it for nighttime sleeping for prolonged periods of time.

I don't want to scare anyone, but last year a girl on TB lost her baby because the baby (they think....) suffocated while sleeping in the PNP. Until you have yours set-up, this is hard to explain, but often the mattress does not lay completely flat. There are sometimes "folds" in the "mattress." (I use this term lightly because it is like a piece of cardboard with thin padding). There are sheets that go over the "mattress" but like anything you have to make sure they are pulled tightly.

Anyways, after this girl posted about her baby, she contacted Graco and they said the PNP is not made for long-time overnight sleeping.

Again, there are worse places that a baby can sleep and many people use it for nighttime sleeping and it is fine, I just would not use it for a prolonged amount of time.

I like a product that specifically states that it has been approved for nighttime sleeping (like a regular crib and/or the Rock N Play Sleeper....).

HTH!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"