Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Which of these would you not let your LO eat?

Hey Ladies! Some days I feel like I'm really behind on giving my LO finger foods! He's had yogurt melts, puffs, mum-mums, banana and toast (he's also had some other things in a mesh feeder) Then, daycare gave me this list of foods asking me to cross out what I didn't want him having, I'm a little overwhelmed! Anything here you would not serve your little one? Should I wait until he's had it with me before letting him have it at daycare or should I let him branch out a bit?

Breakfast
Cheerios
Lucky Charms
Fruit Loops

Toast

Cinnamon Bread

Waffles

French Toast Sticks

Snacks

Graham crackers

Ritz

Club crackers

Animal crackers

Donut holes

Fruit Loops

Cheese puffs

Banana Bread

Cheese slices

Cookies

Lunch

Cheese sandwich

Turkey sandwich

Ham and cheese sandwich

Sub sandwich

Mac and cheese

Beef stroganoff

Spaghetti w/ meat sauce

Scalloped potatoes with Hamb

American Chow Mien (rich hotdish)

Mashed potatoes with Hamb gravy

Sloppy joes

Beans w/ Hamb

Pizza

Spaghettios

Fish sticks

Chicken Nuggets

Noodles

Buttered bread

Corn

Green beans

Peas

Peas & carrots

Bananas

Peaches

Pears

Applesauce

imageBabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Which of these would you not let your LO eat?

• Options

Donut holes? Really? Is that common?

I will let DS eat anything in moderation, but I would be upset if his daycare served him a lot of these foods. Things like Fruit Loops that are pure sugar.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Fruit Loops and Lucky Charms...definitely would cross those off. Seriously...they feed those to babies? They are loaded with sugar and I doubt any kind of nutrition.
    someecards.com - I love the sound you make when you shut up. Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I can't believe they even have some of these things on the list.  

I would be crossing off the following: 

Lucky charms 

Fruit loops

Cinnamon toast (I'm assuming they are using cinnamon sugar - and I'm not a fan of added sugar) 

Waffles (unless they were whole wheat) 

French toast sticks (I assume they probably serve this with sugary maple syrup)

Donut holes

Cookies

Spaghettios 

Mac and cheese

Fish sticks 

Chicken nuggets

Applesauce - I would make sure it has no added sugar or high fructose corn syrup.  I'd be fine with it as long as there is no sugar added. 

I honestly am shocked that they would feed kids fruit loops, lucky charms, and donut holes.

• Options
    i would decline most of those. we dont do processed foods including lunchmeat. a lot of those foods seem junky. sugar cereals and cheese puffs? come on.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Options
    I probably wouldn't give fruit loops or donut holes but that's just me. 
  • Options

No offense to anyone here but, Jesus, no wonder Americans are obese. That list is ridiculous. I think I'd find a different day care, one where the people running it understand about nutrition!

And what on earth is "Hamb"???

imageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    imageRuby_Soho:

No offense to anyone here but, Jesus, no wonder Americans are obese. That list is ridiculous. I think I'd find a different day care, one where the people running it understand about nutrition!

Agreed.

someecards.com - I love the sound you make when you shut up. Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Also, there are some items on the list where I'd be inquiring about the nutrition facts before being okay.  For example, with sandwiches, are they using whole wheat bread?  What condiments are they using?  I'm not a fan of processed white bread.  I'd be okay with buttered bread only if it's whole wheat.  Many of the lunch foods are probably very high in fat.  I'd rather him have a lean piece of chicken than sloppy joes or potatoes with gravy.

It seems odd that there are only four types of fruit and four types of vegetables on the list.  Many of the items on this list I would be okay with in moderation, but wouldn't want my child to eat regularly.  For example, I'd be okay with my child having club crackers and ritz crackers, but I'd much rather his regular snack each day be some fruit and cheese instead of the more junk food like stuff on the snack list. 

If my daycare gave me this list, I would be sending my own food. 

• Options
    I would cross almost everything off that list.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

• Options

This is all hypothetical because mine is super picky and doesn't even have teeth, lol.  But seeing as your LO is 9 months I would DEFINITELY say no to:

fruit loops, donut holes, lucky charms, cheese puffs, and cookies.

There's also a lot listed that I'd be iffy about, but it would really just depend on your LO - like the chicken nuggets, spaghettios, french toast, ect. I still think 9 months is pretty young for most of that stuff :-/

Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • Options
    Definitely NO to the fruit loops, lucky charms, cookies and donut holes. Other stuff... I guess I'm just a little more lax cause I'm not really clutching my pearls over chicken nuggets. Day cares have a lot of kids to feed, so I understand convenience is a necessity. That said... there's no reason to be feeding donut holes to kids as a "snack".
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers www.foreverfactor.blogspot.com
  • Options
    imageRuby_Soho:

I'm guessing it's short for hamburger, i.e. ground beef or mince meat.

People use "hamburger" instead of ground beef, even when they aren't making it into patties. It drives me crazy, lol.

• Options

Wow! Thanks for all the responses! I was a little shocked at this list as well, however, I should have mentioned that this is a list for the entire daycare, I would hope they don't feed donut holes to babies!

I also don't know what Hamb is. I thought it was a typo for ham, but they used it three times.

I feel like I should send my own food, but I still don't know what I would send! He hates everything that's not pureed.

• Options
    There is nothing on that list I would let my LO eat and I would be looking for a new daycare if that is their idea of proper childcare.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageAbJams:
    Definitely NO to the fruit loops, lucky charms, cookies and donut holes. Other stuff... I guess I'm just a little more lax cause I'm not really clutching my pearls over chicken nuggets. Day cares have a lot of kids to feed, so I understand convenience is a necessity. That said... there's no reason to be feeding donut holes to kids as a "snack".

I just posted this in another thread but have a look and then tell me you've no problems with chicken nuggets...

https://youtu.be/mKwL5G5HbGA

I wouldn't eat a chicken nugget if I could help it. There is no nutrition in it whatsoever so why feed it to your child when they need all the good stuff they can get in order to grow well. Go feed your child some fresh fish or something instead.

(sorry, edited to make clicky)

imageimageimage
  • Options
    So what do your daycares feed your LO?
  • Options

imagenycnola:
    There is nothing on that list I would let my LO eat and I would be looking for a new daycare if that is their idea of proper childcare.

Huh?  You wouldn't let your kid have banana or peas? 

• Options
    I would either find another daycare or send in his food every day.  I'm okay with moderation but everything there will probably be used in moderation and that is the unhealthiest toddler menu I have ever seen.  
  • Options
    imageaoberhol:

Wow! Thanks for all the responses! I was a little shocked at this list as well, however, I should have mentioned that this is a list for the entire daycare, I would hope they don't feed donut holes to babies!

I also don't know what Hamb is. I thought it was a typo for ham, but they used it three times.

I feel like I should send my own food, but I still don't know what I would send! He hates everything that's not pureed.

Personally I don't think that should matter.  

If my child was going to that daycare I would probably either 

1.  Send a better lunch and snacks myself 

or 

2. Find another daycare. 

There is no reason that children of any age should be eating that junk on a regular basis 

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

imageaoberhol:

We send all of our own food, and honestly it's not that difficult.  We use the plastic ziploc containers that have three sections and a lid, and send breakfast, a snack, and lunch.  Our daycare doesn't start providing the food until kids move up to the toddler room at 24 months, but from what I've seen of what those kids eat, we'll still send our own food.  It's not all as bad as the list you just posted, but it's things like PB&J and chicken nuggets.

The first things we started when moving from purees were small bits of avocado and then bits of banana.  Next I introduced small chunks of firm tofu (if you aren't familiar with tofu, firm tofu is still soft).  These things were easy for him to eat since they are so soft.  After he got the hang of these (which didn't take long for us), we moved on to foods that are not quite as soft - pieces of melon, kiwi, tomato, etc. 

• Options

i'm trying not to laugh...

i wouldn't let them give LO anything else but the fruit and vegetables.  i'd rather supply my own food.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Below are the things I would say no to: 

Lucky Charms
    Fruit Loops

Donut holes

Fruit Loops

Cheese puffs

Pizza

Spaghettios

Edit: I accidently took cookies off.

If I were you, I'd pack his lunch everyday.

• Options

wow. Your daycare does a lot of junk!

I would not do the buttered bread (I do just bread, or bread with hummas or natural PB)

I would not do sugary cereal. Or donuts. Or cookies. Seriously? They feed this to one year olds?!?

The poster formally known as Irish Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would cross the following of the list, or see note. If these were the only options for meals I would see if they let you send your own food or find a center that has better food. I mean really, only 4 fruit and 4 vegetable options???

Breakfast 
    Lucky Charms
    Fruit Loops

Toast (I would make sure its whole wheat)

Cinnamon Bread

Waffles (I would say no syrup)

French Toast Sticks

Snacks

Ritz

Club crackers

Donut holes

Fruit Loops

Cheese puffs

Banana Bread

Cookies

Lunch

Cheese sandwich (Make sure it is on wheat and no condiments)

Turkey sandwich (Make sure it is on wheat and no condiments)

Ham and cheese sandwich

Sub sandwich

Mac and cheese

Beef stroganoff

Spaghetti w/ meat sauce

Sloppy joes

Beans w/ Hamb

Pizza

Spaghettios

Buttered bread

Applesauce (Make sure no added sugar)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 008
  • Options
    If you need ideas, check out the post below about favorite foods. We mostly just send leftovers from dinner.
  • Options
    imageRuby_Soho:

This!!!!!!!!!!

I'd say 90% of that list is junk food.  Where are all the real fruits and veggies? 

• Options
    imageRuby_Soho:

imageAbJams:

I just posted this in another thread but have a look and then tell me you've no problems with chicken nuggets...

I wouldn't eat a chicken nugget if I could help it. There is no nutrition in it whatsoever so why feed it to your child when they need all the good stuff they can get in order to grow well. Go feed your child some fresh fish or something instead.

That was disgusting!  It made me sad that the kids still wanted to eat those at the end.  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageRuby_Soho:

imageAbJams:

I was just coming over here to post this.  Chicken nuggets are gross!  A girl at my work feeds them to her two girls nightly.  I asked her if she wanted to know what is really in them & she said "no I'd rather not.  It's all they'll eat". 

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Options
    imageRuby_Soho:

imageAbJams:

I can't watch because I'm at work, but I'm sure it's supergross. I don't feed my dd chicken nuggets often (but I won't lie, she has had them and LOVES them), and I personally wouldn't give her 90% of the stuff on that list. I just think there are WORSE things than a chicken nugget. Like a donut hole.

As for going to feed my child some fresh fish... the fish that would be "fresh" around here isn't safe for babies to eat, so she gets frozen. I don't really know what else to say, but I just found that extremely condescending.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers www.foreverfactor.blogspot.com
  • Options
    imageAbJams:
    imageRuby_Soho:

imageAbJams:

I can't watch because I'm at work, but I'm sure it's supergross. I don't feed my dd chicken nuggets often (but I won't lie, she has had them and LOVES them), and I personally wouldn't give her 90% of the stuff on that list. I just think there are WORSE things than a chicken nugget. Like a donut hole.

As for going to feed my child some fresh fish... the fish that would be "fresh" around here isn't safe for babies to eat, so she gets frozen. I don't really know what else to say, but I just found that extremely condescending.

Let me preface this by saying that I see nothing wrong with frozen fish (and I'm assuming the OP didn't mean it had to be pulled out of the ocean that day)

However, if you really are looking for fresh fish, most nice grocery stores have it in their meat/fish section. Its flown in. :D Its often pricey though.

The poster formally known as Irish Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageGo_Dawgs:

If my daycare gave me this list, I would be sending my own food. 

I agree. I believe in everything in moderation, but I can't believe out of that whole list, there are only 4 vegetables. It seems like a lot of starchy crap on that list. Right now, the majority of DDs diet are different fruits and veggies.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    imagePiRSquared330:
    imageAbJams:
    imageRuby_Soho:

imageAbJams:

Let me preface this by saying that I see nothing wrong with frozen fish (and I'm assuming the OP didn't mean it had to be pulled out of the ocean that day)

However, if you really are looking for fresh fish, most nice grocery stores have it in their meat/fish section. Its flown in. :D Its often pricey though.

Honestly, that never even crosses my mind because it is so dang expensive. I buy frozen tilapia fillets. Still spendy, but not prohibitively so.

• Options

imageaoberhol:

For breakfast she might get Cheerios, corn chex, shredded wheat, yogurt, oatmeal and/or fruit.

For lunch she usually gets lunchmeat, assorted cooked veggies, whole-wheat bread or crackers, and/or cheese.

For snack, she'll get another fruit or veggie puree, maybe some yogurt and some sort of crackers, pretzels or puffs.

She always drinks BM in a sippy cup, since she doesn't take bottles at daycare anymore (I BF her in the morning and during my lunch break)

I actually don't love my DCPs menus (because they're not terribly varied, not because they're not nutritious enough), but I love everything else about it that I don't worry about it too much, and just try to be more varied at home. But I've never worried about her giving them Froot Loops or Lucky Charms, either.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I feel bad for the kids that are being overloaded with that junk every day
  • Options

1) I'll BOLD the choices I would allow

2) I would always try a food at home first before letting little one have it at daycare (just so you're the one to watch for the allergy, and not the center). 

Breakfast
    Cheerios
    Lucky Charms
     Fruit Loops

Toast

Cinnamon Bread

Waffles

French Toast Sticks

(I don't think Lucky Charms or Fruit Loops have very much nutritional value and they have a LOT of sugar. as far as the rest, there can be nutritional ways to prepare them and they have some value.) 

Snacks

Graham crackers

Ritz

Club crackers

Animal crackers

Donut holes

Fruit Loops

Cheese puffs

Banana Bread

Cheese slices

Cookies

(I don't think animal crackers, donut holes, fruit loops, or cheese puffs are necessary at this age.  Ugh!  I only said "yes" to "cookies" because it would depend on the cookie...like an oatmeal raisin cookie, in moderation, might not be bad, but a chocolate chip cookie wouldn't be my choice.) 

Lunch

Cheese sandwich

Turkey sandwich

Ham and cheese sandwich

Sub sandwich

Mac and cheese

Beef stroganoff

Spaghetti w/ meat sauce

Sloppy joes

Beans w/ Hamb

Pizza

Spaghettios

Fish sticks

Chicken Nuggets

Noodles

Buttered bread

Corn

Green beans

Peas

Peas & carrots

Bananas

Peaches

Pears

Applesauce

(all of these sound like fine choices to me).

• Options
    imageRuby_Soho:

Fellow New Zealander wondering the same thing Huh?

You have a PM by the way.

• Options
    Good.God.  I feel like I should hug my in home DCP tomorrow if this is what a typical daycare menu looks like.  She makes all the food with her husband so every day he gets things like home made soup, pasta, chicken with veggies, etc.  I know some people are crazy over things like whole wheat pasta and bread but I'm not freaking over it if he has white since I think he eats a pretty balanced diet overall.  I also wouldn't freak if he had a chicken nugget or fish stick but I'd be hesitant to give the green light on those things because it sounds like they'd be served a lot. 
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    I would not let them feed my child any of it.  I cannot believe how processed this list is.  I would send all of your food in but I am very picky about what my son eats.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageaoberhol:

My DD hates everything that's not pureed also, and the pedi said as long as we plan on feeding her "real" food by the age of 2 then it's okay.  We will obviously be giving more real solids soon but we are taking our time and reading her cues.  That being said, I would say no to everything on this list, except cheerios.  DD chokes a lot on food so that is a concern and also the lack of nutritional value of a lot of the list is also a BIG concern. 

I can't believe they give kids cheese puffs!  I have to admit, this list made me hungry lol, but I would never want to feed this crap to my kid.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageAbJams:
    imagePiRSquared330:
    imageAbJams:
    imageRuby_Soho:

imageAbJams:

Honestly, that never even crosses my mind because it is so dang expensive. I buy frozen tilapia fillets. Still spendy, but not prohibitively so.

Yup, I didn't mean straight out of the water fish if you can't get it, frozen is fine too. I just meant not super processed stuff like fish fingers.

We're pretty lucky, we live near a lake a few hours from the coast and have a few friends who fish so we get fresh stuff randomly. Trout, blue nose etc.

imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"