Detroit Babies

White cribs?

Are there down sides? Do they need more cleaning than dark colored cribs? (I'm thinking about white cabinets.) Do they yellow over time? TIA!
imageimage

Re: White cribs?

• since it's paint and not stain, they are prone to chipping. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I can't give you a crib perspective, but I can give you some from the white furniture I have in our house.  Like PP said, it chips fairly easily because it is painted.  It also shows dirt and dust really easily and fingerprints.  For those reasons with the previous furniture I had, I eliminated it from baby furniture options and went with the expresso.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Also, the white cribs I've seen had the bolts showing in the front or the sides, and they (the bolts) are dark so it really stands out. Of course, I was looking at cribs at a low price point, so that's part of it. I don't know how much you plan to spend, but just make sure you see a picture of the crib from all sides before buying.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a stained wood crib (it's called honey oak) and it still scratches easier than I'd like. It is from BRU.

I think kids are just hard on furniture.

Come chat with other moms: www.metrodetroitmommy.com!
  • I hadn't thought of the issue of it chipping at all! Good point.
    imageimage
  • Honestly, I think the chipping issue is going to happen regardless of the color. DS's crib is espresso. We were very lucky and my parents bought it for us, and even though it is a rather expensive brand, it is still full of chips. And they are pretty obvious to me even on the dark wood!

I say go with whatever you like best....!

FWIW, for baby #2 our crib will be white :)

• We have a white crib in P's room and we LOVE it.  DH actually did chip it because he dropped a hammer on it hanging something on the wall before she was born.  You can't even see it unless you are specifically looking for it.  I think its because the wood underneath is just as light in color as the paint.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would think that a darker crib would show more dust/milk drops.  Our crib for Lucas is two toned and we are happy with it.  He isnt really hard on it though, and has only been using it for a year :)

Mommy's little helper :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a white crib that both my kids used.  It's now over 6 years old and did not yellow or chip.  The screws did not show on my crib, so you didn't see them or notice them standing out.  I liked the white better than brown, it's just made everything else really pop in the room.  We had a white dresser and that held up perfectly for them as well.  I'm looking to replace my daughters toddler bed with furniture, and will be getting white again.  But you might want to purchase from a furniture store than a place like babies r us.  The toddler bed (from BRU) paint didn't stand up to as much abuse as the crib and dresser did.  I bought those from a baby store that was in Novi and that might be why it help up better.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"