Trying to Get Pregnant

Heavy bleeding, then BFP

Good morning - this is my first post.

We have been TTC for a year, charting for 3 cycles.  Last cycle my OB put me on 50 mg of clomid for a stronger ovulation and to lengthen my LP (average 10 days). 

On my first clomid cycle, I started bleeding heavily on 10 DPO.  Because it was so heavy, I called my OB on 12 DPO and was advised to test.  There was a faint positive.  As I was out of town I had to wait until 16 DPO to see my OB and get a blood test.  The HCG count came back at 51, and then doubled the next day.  I'm now on a progesterone supplement (200mg/day) and will see my OB again on Tuesday after having daily HCG counts.

While I'm cautiously optimistic, I don't understand how my body could sustain implantation after such a heavy bleed that lasted 6 days.  It was the heaviest "period" of my life.  I was actually so frightened that I considered going to the ER.  But it did eventually let up.  Now I just have faint cramping and mild spotting.

Are there other questions I should be asking my OB?  Has anyone here ever maintained a pregnancy after such a heavy bleed?  I'm afraid to be happy and am not sure how to best advocate for myself at this point. 

Thank you so much.

Re: Heavy bleeding, then BFP

• FYI, many of us here have never been pregnant, so we won't have advice for you. I personally find it odd that you would be advised to test after a period, but what do I know?

Good luck, though.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • imagebrookelynpaisley:

FYI, many of us here have never been pregnant, so we won't have advice for you. I personally find it odd that you would be advised to test after a period, but what do I know?

Good luck, though.

True Dat!!

My Little
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks Brookelyn.

I was advised to test because they were concerned about an ectopic pregnancy.

I guess even if no one here has maintained a pregnancy after a similar situation, I was wondering if anyone had a BFP after a heavy bleed, even if she ended up miscarrying.  I'm trying to prepare myself for that, as my OB said it is very likely.  I'm wondering how others may have moved forward or changed things.

Regardless, this board has been a wealth of knowledge.  Thanks for reading.

• I would just ask your doctor what you asked here. I wish I could offer you some better advice, best of luck though!
    Diagnosed with PCOS in 2001 Started actively TTC in 2010 Started Metformin in 2010 First appointment with RE 5-9-11 Anniversary image image
  • While that may be true, many of us have indeed been pregnant before - whether it resulted in a baby or an unfortunate m/c...I don't think you should assume anything unless you personally know each person on this board. 

I had a chemical pregnancy in November...my OB said the numbers may increase at first, but then eventually decrease...which they ultimately did.  One of my best friends had an ectopic pregnancy last year and her #'s were going up like normal and even stayed elevated after her surgery.  Eventually they declined to zero. 

However, I've also heard of people staying pregnant through what they thought was their period and ended up having successful pregnancies.  So you never know!  Just think positive thoughts and try not to overanalyze.  Easier said than done, I know.  Good luck :)

• Im not trying to be snarky at all when I say you should try this question on one of the tri boards. It's just that most of us have never been pregnant and of those whove had heavy bleeding during a pregnancy it has ended in m/c. Im not saying this is what is happening to you, but the women on the tri's could probably tell you more.

There are several reasons you could have bled like that and still be pregnant, but the mist likely reason of course is a m/c.

You couldve conceived twins and lost one or you could have ruptured a large cyst which caused the bleeding.

The only way to tell what is going on is time and possibly an u/s. I hope all ends up being ok for you and your baby. If it isnt then please come back here and get to know us and youll learn a ton about your body and TTC. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Elm - thank you so much for sharing your experience.  I guess it's one of those things that I'll have to wait out and think positively about.  It's so difficult after many disappointments, which I'm sure many here can relate to.  Good luck with TTC.

• imagemayleo:

Thanks Brookelyn.

I guess even if no one here has maintained a pregnancy after a similar situation, I was wondering if anyone had a BFP after a heavy bleed, even if she ended up miscarrying.  I'm trying to prepare myself for that, as my OB said it is very likely.  I'm wondering how others may have moved forward or changed things.

I had a "period" and then found out I was pregnant after my "period" stopped. It was like 6 days later I started to spot. I thought I had an infection or something, ended up POAS per a friends suggestion that maybe I was pregnant and having a m/c. Sure enough, betas came in and I was pregnant but losing the baby.

Took 2 years & 8 months to make our baby! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Kara - that's great advice.  Thanks.  I'm not sure I'm brave enough for the tri boards yet.  :-)  I might give this a few more days and will continue to ask my OB about what this could possibly mean.

I'll definitely stick around if things don't work out for us this cycle.  Good luck in your own journey.

• I'm sorry for your loss, September.  Thank you for sharing.
  • imagemayleo:
    I'm sorry for your loss, September.  Thank you for sharing.

NP. I hope your story turns out better. Best of luck!

Took 2 years & 8 months to make our baby! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagemayleo:

Thanks Brookelyn.

Yes, I have. Back in 2009 I had what I thought was a regular period. It was fairly heavy and I did not notice any difference from my previous periods. But the taste of salmon, which I love was funky. I told my best friend I thought I was pregnant. So I tested, BFN. Then I went to the doctor to get on a medication that I needed to know if I was pregnant before I tested (this was a week after said period). Imagine my surprise when it came back that I was pregnant.

Well long story short, about a week after I tested (2 weeks after that period) I started bleeding. I then bled for an entire month (mostly spotting), and they were trying to figure out if it was ectopic pregnancy or something. They could not see the gestational sac, or anything. But the docs assumed I got pregnant later then what I thought. But I knew when I got pregnant, as we did not have sex after the date I though I ovulated...anyways. I ended up having the actual miscarriage about a month after the bleeding started and had my numbers monitored until they went down to 0.

Sorry so long, good luck to you.  

Photobucket BabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Having faith and hope is never a bad thing. I myself suffered a M/C before we had LO. I had a positive and then a week later I had bleeding and cramping. It was very heavy. I went to ER where they confirmed I had M/C.

This is where we differ my numbers went down but yours doubled so that is a good sign.

Try asking this on the TTC after a loss board. Every girl on that board has had an M/C adn they will have tons of info for you.

Good Luck

• Thanks to all of you for sharing.  This has been so helpful just learning that others have experienced what I have.

I wish you all the best in your journeys. 

• I have no advice to offer you but wanted to tell you that I sincerely hope that everything works out. I know you must be very anxious. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"