Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Try to potty train a 19 month old. crazy??

Let me say I am not one to push potty training at all! I know that the earlier you start, the longer it takes. I wasn't planning on trying to start trying to potty train at the earliest this summer  (because I'm home for the summer) but probably not until he is 2.5 next winter but my son is majorly interested in going on the potty.

He says poop, pee, peepee, butt and potty. The past two days before he has pooped in his diaper he says poop and he always goes to the same spot to go poop. Sometimes he says pee.

This evening he said poop so I said "do you want to go poop on the potty?" He said YEAH!! So we went up to go poop on the potty. He kept saying poop while he was on the potty and he was pushing as if he was trying. He farted a couple of times while he was on the potty but he didn't acually poop. He got up and actually got toilet paper and wiped his butt lol!  He kept going back on and off the potty pushing while he was on it and getting off to check if he pooped or not lol This probably went on for 15 minutes. He had so much fun trying to poop.

He usually poops like clockwork in the morning. I was thinking of trying to sit him on the potty when its his usual pooping time. Do you think it's crazy to try to potty train a 19 month old? I don't want to push it, maybe I'll just sit him on it when he wants to but he was really interested in it tonight. It was cute :)

Has anyone tried to potty train this early??

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Try to potty train a 19 month old. crazy??

• Options
    my daughter is going to be 20 months and everytime she pooped she would go to the bathroom door.  I ended up buying her, her own potty just to introduce her.  She will go and sit on it..but she doesn't get it totally yet.  I don't think its crazy.  Introduce it to him...if he gets it.. he gets it.  If not then you wait :)
    DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • Options

Here is a link from the American Academy of Pediatrics. It has link to click on that can help you decide if your LO is ready to be potty trained or not. Hope it helps!

https://www.aap.org/healthtopics/toilettraining.cfm

E 03.10
    H 11.11
    C 08.13

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't think it is too early if he's ready for it and he certainly sounds like he wants to. I think putting him on the toilet in the morning when he usually poops would be a good idea and your LO would probably be ecstatic if he actually goes. My SIL potty trained her first two shortly after they were decent walkers (so by 14 months) because she couldn't afford the diapers anymore and I am in the same boat so already I am putting LO on the toilet at a time I know she has to pee. Actual pee has only happened twice all week but I don't want to force her to stay up there. I don't know how SIL did potty training that early but it worked and they never had any problems. Her youngest two boys both trained at about 18-20 months.
  • Options
    My son is 20 months and he's signaling the same way. He asks for the potty and we let him sit there and I talk to him about going to the potty while he's sitting. He doesn't actually go and we're not pushing it. He's young for it so we'll follow his lead. If he gets it, great but we're not going to start a process of training him or anything yet.
  • Options
    We are! 15 months!  He says "poop" when he's going.  We're working on trying to get him to say "poop" before he has to go so we can quickly get him on the seat!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

we've been putting baz on the potty since he was 5 weeks old.

you don't have to be this extreme, but there's no sense letting him lose the sensation just to have to re-teach it later.

https://diaperfreebaby.com/

• Options

PS - our parents were potty trained by 18months if not sooner. It's only since 'sposies that babies aren't potty trained until they're older.

also, it helps us to think of it as "potty learning" since it's one giant lesson for all of us.

good luck!

• Options
    My MIL say's the my DH was potty trained at 18 months.
  • Options
    We started at 15 months. LO is doing well. She goes diaper free at home and only wears a diaper now for outings, naps if she didn't pee before, and bedtime. It was a lot of work in the beginning for both of us, but I thought she was ready. She does still have accidents sometimes, but she also does really well most of the time too!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My Lo was making similar signals -- she'll now say poop after she poops and points to her diaper. I noticed she was going to the same spot to poop in the morning as well. She almost always poops right after breakfast so we bought her a potty and a potty book and she sits on it while I get her bath ready and Ive tried putting her on it in the morning when she normally poops. Today she pooped in it for the first time! I was so excited but she seemed a little confused and then I realized she has never seen her poop before since its always in her diaper. So Im going to maybe start showing her her diaper or something after she goes too. I am definately not forcing it and just trying to get her used to it.
  • Options

It's not totally crazy, but I wouldn't push the issue either. If he gets it right away, great....if not, take a break and wait awhile longer.  I only know one person whose DD potty trained herself around a year and a half, but that was because my friend also had an older child who she was trying to train at the same time and her daughter watched and learned from him. Boys are usually much harder to train than girls and they usually don't train early.

My son started telling me when he pooped and peed and woke up dry from naps, etc around 20 months old, but is still not 100% trained at 3 1/2.

• Options
    19 months is NOT to early- in fact I think its a perfect time.  You have to remember before disposable diapers children were PT at @ 12 months old- 18 months was considered too old not to be PT.  My DS was PT at 17 months- for daytime, naps and nightime.  It was SUPER easy took just a few days to be accident free and its been over a year without issues.  IMO its much easier to PT when they are young- at this age its fun.  When they are old like 2-3 years old they are in the "no" phase and it becomes a control struggle.  Go ahead and PT him. 
  • Options
    Well I put him on the potty this morning a few minutes after he woke up and he peed!!! I am so proud of him and excited!! I think I'm going to put him on the potty a few times a day from now until after our vacation in the beginning of June. I'm a teacher so after vacation I'll be home with im in the summer so if he's up for it we'll start the real potty training then!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"