Breastfeeding
Options

How would you help this girl?

Hi ladies!

My BFF just had her first little boy yesterday and is already doing great with BFing, however the girl she's sharing a room with is trying desperately to BF and isn't having much success.  I've been to hell and back with nursing my LO, (and still going) and have researched enough to help her out a bit, but I really don't know how to help this particular problem...  and the nurses at the hospital aren't really giving the best advice... they're all like "oh, he'll learn.."

The little guy is tongue tied and will only suck for a few seconds at a time and then becomes furious.  The boob is right there, in his mouth and everything, but he can't seem to get a good grip.  From what I saw, her nipple looks ok, and colostrum is definitely there, he just won't latch, or better, stay latched.

What would you do?  I really want to help this girl because she really wants to nurse this baby Sad

Re: How would you help this girl?

• Options
    I had that problem with my dd. It really helped to get her naked except for a diaper- it was like it magically helped her focus. also if she tries cross cradle, holding her breast like a big mac (with her thumb on the outside nearest her armpit, and squeezing from the other side) can help shape the breast a little better to fit his mouth. but she should try to feed when hes not very fussy. also, if her milk is coming in, it could be a let down issue- if the milk flows too fast, babies tend to unlatch and cry.
  • Options

I would first of all encourage her and tell her that she is doing the right thing for her baby by trying to nurse him. I would advise her to contact a Lactation consultant (not tied to the hospital) and get in to see them ASAP!!! I loved the LC we had in the hospital, however she was the only good one out of the three that were there when we were in the hospital. Plus, she was the only LC on duty and had to rush around. I don't think hospitals have enough LC. As soon as I was out of the hospital we headed to a LC and it really, REALLY helped! I don't know if I wouldve made it without my LC. She was/is amazing. I still call when I start to have any problems!GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks ladies - she's leaving the hospital tomorrow and I've already found a lactation consultant close to where she lives (and got their contact info).  I plan on calling her at the hospital tomorrow morning.  I really tried to be as encouraging as possible...

It doesn't seem that she has any let-down issues yet because her milk hasn't yet come in, so I am pretty sure that's not it yet (she just had the baby yesterday afternoon).  I really got my head in there to listen for some swallowing and there didn't seem to be much.  She told me that the nurse stuck her finger in his mouth at one point and said "oh, his suck isn't right, just give it time" but there's got to be more she could do.

Again, thanks for your replies.  I'm goign to try to get her number or email to talk to her outside the hospital - she told me she is the first of all her friends and fam to really nurse - she didn't even nurse her first.

• Options
    does the baby show any signs of rooting? also, if he acts like he wants to suck, stick your pinkie fingertip in his mouth and see how hes sucking. you can tell a lot by that, in my opinion. a lactation consultant really will help though, its so much easier when you can get advice. bfing is so wonderful and itd be a shame for her to miss out.
  • Options

In some cases, it does seem that breastfeeding can be successful even if the baby has a tongue-tie. In other cases, the tongue-tie may cause breastfeeding problems. In an attempt to draw the breast into the mouth and "milk" the breast with the tongue, the baby becomes frustrated and may "bite" at the breast or may not be able to fully compress the milk sinuses to remove milk. Baby's tongue normally cushions the breast from the bony lower jaw while breastfeeding, and when it cannot, breastfeeding is painful.It is important to consider the role of the tongue in breastfeeding. When a baby attaches to the breast, his tongue extends and grooves to cup the breast, removing milk with a rolling motion while lifting up to compress the breast.A tongue-tied baby may have difficulty extending his tongue over the lower gum line. When Baby's tongue is too tightly bound to the bottom of his mouth, forming a seal and creating a positive pressure can be a difficult maneuver. Mothers may find that their babies do not remove milk well enough to gain weight normally. They may find that the tongue action of the baby causes extremely sore nipples, because the baby cannot correctly attach to the breast.

if her nursing is being impacted she should look into getting the frenulum clipped... it is a simple procedure that could cure all the problems! 

https://www.llli.org/nb/nbmarapr96p41.html

https://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/bfhelp-tonguetie.html 

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • Options
    My DS had a moderate tongue tie and we were hoping he'd grow out of it, but after six weeks of extreme nipple pain and a visit to the LC, we got his frnulum clipped. It has been such a relief and I wish we wouldve done it sooner. Tell her to tall to her pedi asap.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"