Working Moms
Options

WAH moms...

What do you do? I'm looking for a legit way to stay home with my LO (due in a few weeks) and make some money to help support DH's income. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. TIA =)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: WAH moms...

• Options

What do you do now? The 'easiest' way is to ask your current employer to let you have a couple of days at home, but you will need child care during that time. There are *VERY* few jobs where you can work at home with your child under your care. I currently work at home 1 day a week and will move up to 2 soon, but I have to have documentation of child care during that time (daycare, a nanny, etc).

Or if you have the background/experience you could always watch a couple of other children in your home but I'd want someone with experience/training in first aid, etc at a minimum.

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

Does this question get asked as much over here as it does on the SAHM board?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageStacyc625:

Actually, no (I lurk over there some).  It's definitely asked more over there.  Big Smile

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageStacyc625:

I figure working whether at home or outside the home is still considered working so why not ask. As for what I do, I'm a hairstylist so I would probably have to end up doing something entirely new 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I know alot of people who cut hair out of their houses - and their loyal customers will follow.  You're not going to get rich doing it, but you could definitely do that from home.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagebrienne00:
    imageStacyc625:

I figure working whether at home or outside the home is still considered working so why not ask. As for what I do, I'm a hairstylist so I would probably have to end up doing something entirely new 

Start a business offering in home haircutting for children, especially in the evenings and on weekends. I'd pay BIG bucks for someone to come to my house to do both kids rather than me dragging them out on weekends.

You'd still need childcare though most likely.

• Options
    imageKathrynMD:

I know alot of people who cut hair out of their houses - and their loyal customers will follow.  You're not going to get rich doing it, but you could definitely do that from home.

Ditto that- I would just do freelancing hairstyling and hair cutting on the side at home. I see great potential for growing your own business. Not only kids- but think wedding parties- sure your saturdays would be a little busy and such- but most likely you could fall back on your SO for childcare-

• Options
    imagemadhatter2003:
    imageStacyc625:

Actually, no (I lurk over there some).  It's definitely asked more over there.  Big Smile

Good- i will share the wealth and send them over here to ask! Big Smile

• Options
    imageStacyc625:
    imagemadhatter2003:
    imageStacyc625:

Give them my DH's response. "You have to pick what's more important - being the one to take care of your baby, or making money to have nice stuff." I'm sick of this ? too. Seriously unless you do in-home daycare, there is no magic job. If there was, we would know about it already cuz lots of people would alraedy be doing it.

• Options
    imagemoonfaerie:
    imageStacyc625:
    imagemadhatter2003:
    imageStacyc625:

Give them my DH's response. "You have to pick what's more important - being the one to take care of your baby, or making money to have nice stuff." I'm sick of this ? too. Seriously unless you do in-home daycare, there is no magic job. If there was, we would know about it already cuz lots of people would alraedy be doing it.

Pretty much!!! :)

I have to say loooooooooove your kids names! So pretty!

• Options
    imageStacyc625:
    Pretty much!!! :)

I have to say loooooooooove your kids names! So pretty!

Thank you!

• Options
    imagehocus:

This question gets ask a lot and the answer is that there is no magic job that will pay you to stay home and care for your child.

I work in marketing, I worked in an office before and then transitioned home.
    I have full time childcare. There is no way I could do my job and take care of my child. If you're craft you could open a etsy store or something similar, but it is unlikely to pull in a lot of money.

Can someone make this a sticky at the top of the WM page?

• Options
    I work for a healthcare IT firm and by the grace of God I've been able to telecommute since 2004.  Many sales and account managers are remote employees at my company.  When baby comes, I will have to seek alternate arrangements for childcare as I wont be able to be care for it while working. 
    Awesome since 1976 Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Options

imagef8vvrd1:
    I work for a healthcare IT firm and by the grace of God I've been able to telecommute since 2004.  Many sales and account managers are remote employees at my company.  When baby comes, I will have to seek alternate arrangements for childcare as I wont be able to be care for it while working. 

Yep, I'm in IT as well and many people telecommute here, but we all have childcare lined up.

BTW, I love your wedding dress. Every time I see it I just think how lovely you look Big Smile

• Options

I'm a travel agent and we do not have a store front, so I work from home, but I work anywhere from 50-70 hours a week and am available 24/7, so needless to say, I have daycare full time - I agree about there not being any "magic" job.  Even if you get to work from home, it's near impossible to do both (be a WM and a SAHM at the same time)...the days I am forced to do it are hard and LONG.  

If you just want a job that provides you with a telecommute experience, then ask your employer, start your own business or open a daycare, but don't expect to do anything at home FULL TIME with a kid hanging off your leg. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Agree with everything posted. I WAH to save me the hour + commute every day, but there is no difference in the time needed compared to any other full time job. My maternity leave is over today and DD will go into daycare full time on Monday. For the last few weeks, I've been working "part time" around DD, and let me tell you, I'm lucky to get 30 mins a day of work done. Unfortunately, you cannot WAH and SAH. That's why most jobs claiming that you can, are scams.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Yep, I too work at home currently...I am actually looking for a different job once LO arrives.  I work at home because my commute is 2 hours each way, but to be honest I thought I'd LOVE working from home but I hate it, I seriously feel like I'm on call ALL the time.  Maybe it's bc of what I'm doing..there's no set task that once I finish I'm done...I work for a ticket broker and handle their pricing, which pretty much can/needs to be worked on 24/7, and if something goes down at their office they are constantly calling me at all hours of the day/night to help.  I'd much rather find a job closer to home, put my hours in at the office and be able to leave it all there.  
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    I WAH for a local company doing fraud investigation. I have been doing it for 3 years. I would see if there are any Private Investigation companies near you and ask if they have at home employees. HTL
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Completely agree with you.  I have working from home since 2000 and I have always had full time child care.  I have just had my third baby and will be increasing the hours that I have child care coverage.  You just can't do both at the same time. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"