Success after IF
Options

Chemicals in baby products - how much do you worry?

This has to do with my post yesterday about using Johnson baby products. One poster said they switched after hearing about a class action lawsuit alleging trace amounts of potential carcinogens on j&j baby shampoo. Many on here recommend CA baby products, aveeno, burts bees etc. Everytime I think about switching I default to johnsons because I am overwhelmed by the choices, it is cheap and my mom and hospitals use it. Plus, just because something is natural doesn't mean it is non- toxic/non-carcinogenic (ie hylands teething tablets were recalled for having too much belladonna). I was going to buy a foam alphabet puzzle mat but a few weeks ago read on this board that the were being outlawed in some European countries for containing formaldehyde - so how much does this kind of hype/fear-mongering do you buy into? Or do you just buy what you buy within reason knowing you can't put your baby in a bubble forever?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Chemicals in baby products - how much do you worry?

• Options
    If I know about it, I avoid it (ie - I won't buy J&J stuff) but I don't drive myself crazy about things and do research unless I've heard something.
    DX: Him: Super sperm Me: Diminished pituitary function due to tumor removed April 2008, MTHFR Hetero C677T & A1298C
    IVF #1-4=BFN IVF #5=BFP! U/S on 5/3 revealed TWINS!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options

imageMrsAMR:
    If I know about it, I avoid it (ie - I won't buy J&J stuff) but I don't drive myself crazy about things and do research unless I've heard something.

Pretty much this. We used Johnson's until I heard some of the concerns, then switched to Aveeno, but I'm not actively researching or checking every household beauty product to see what chemicals they contain. I recall that the uproar over those mats was largely inflated (epphd posted some counter-info if I recall) so I would still get them if I was interested in them (we have nowhere in our home they'd make sense). It's hard to navigate, I know.

*** It's funny because I'm fat ***
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We are all exposed to toxins - and plenty of them - every day.  Even cord blood has been found to have environmental toxins in it - heavy metals, pesticides, all sorts of bad crap.  So there is no way to protect yourself or your baby short of, as you said, living in an actual bubble.

For that reason - I do everything I can to avoid toxins when I can avoid them.  And especially do so for my young child.  We use California Baby products, we use dye and fragrance free detergents, we don't use fabric softeners, we clean with mostly vinegar and water or "green" products, and I buy organic groceries (not all - maybe half of our groceries, maybe only a third.)  I don't use cloth diapers, but I buy fragrance free and non-chlorine bleach disposables.

There are so many toxins you can't avoid.  But those that I can - like J&J products - I definitely do.  

Wheee!

"When it comes to sleeping, whatever your baby does is normal. If one thing has damaged parents enjoyment of their babies, it's rigid expectations about how and when the baby should sleep." ~ James McKenna, Ph.D., Mother Baby Behavioral Sleep Center, University of Notre Dame

• Options

imageMrsAMR:

This.

I'm much more concerned about what goes IN their bodies daily than what goes on them but I do try to make smart choices when I know of issues. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Options
    imageLucyPevensie:

We are all exposed to toxins - and plenty of them - every day.  Even cord blood has been found to have environmental toxins in it - heavy metals, pesticides, all sorts of bad crap.  So there is no way to protect yourself or your baby short of, as you said, living in an actual bubble.

For that reason - I do everything I can to avoid toxins when I can avoid them.  And especially do so for my young child.  We use California Baby products, we use dye and fragrance free detergents, we don't use fabric softeners, we clean with mostly vinegar and water or "green" products, and I buy organic groceries (not all - maybe half of our groceries, maybe only a third.)  I don't use cloth diapers, but I buy fragrance free and non-chlorine bleach disposables.

There are so many toxins you can't avoid.  But those that I can - like J&J products - I definitely do.  

pretty much this. Not buying and using J & J stuff is easy, plus I like CA Baby more. I use quality soaps and lotions for myself and care about the stuff that's in my skincare products so it's easy for me to justify doing the same for DD.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageschmoodle:

imageMrsAMR:

Pretty much this. We used Johnson's until I heard some of the concerns, then switched to Aveeno, but I'm not actively researching or checking every household beauty product to see what chemicals they contain. I recall that the uproar over those mats was largely inflated (epphd posted some counter-info if I recall) so I would still get them if I was interested in them (we have nowhere in our home they'd make sense). It's hard to navigate, I know.

Ditto these two replies.  I know I'm the one that brought up the lawsuit and for us it was as simple as reading about the lawsuit, doing a little more background research, then ditching all our J&J stuff for Burt's Bee's and some Aveeno.  We also had one of the foam playmats that were being recalled in Europe and we tossed that too and just got a plush area rug to cover their main play area in our living room (hardwood flooring). 

image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Pretty much what LucyP said. I try to check all Eliza's products out on The Cosmetics Database and avoid anything concerning. I love THIS print out they have and try to stick to it. They also have a great sunscreen guide that was VERY eyeopening.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC since Dec '04 Severe MFI-diagnosed 12/06 3 failed Fresh IVFs FET #1 - BFP!! 2 blasts tx on day 6. Beta #1 8dp6dt = 56, Beta #2 = 600, Beta #3 = 5600 My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageemmyloustu:
    Pretty much what LucyP said. I try to check all Eliza's products out on The Cosmetics Database and avoid anything concerning. I love THIS print out they have and try to stick to it. They also have a great sunscreen guide that was VERY eyeopening.

I use this site as well. We use mostly California Baby products for DD. Pricey, but worth it to me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Exactly what Lucyp said.
    Dx: MFI, DOR, 9 Fibroids and homozygous MTHFR

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Smudge's Story - How to Grow a Dandelion" will return soon!
    The Dandelion Archive
    "If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn."

We're Finally Three Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"