Eco-Friendly Family

broiler vs oven?

I am making this https://weelicious.com/2011/03/23/maple-soy-salmon/ (can I post link??) for dinner but do I have to use the broiler or just the oven ok? I have never used my broiler... :blush::

ETA: the broiler is the thing on the bottom right? Oh gosh I feel dumb... rereading the recipe it doesn't sound that way though...  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: broiler vs oven?

• The broiler should be on the bottom if you have a gas stove. I'm not sure where it is on my electric.. I think you have to raise the shelf to the top level and set it on Broil? Not really sure, grew up with gas..
    Natural M/C-> 10/21/09

2011 Reading Challenge

2011 Reading Challenge
    Adrienne has read 16 books toward her goal of 80 books.
    hide
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • The broiler are the heating elements at the top of the oven.  You want to use them because it will cook the fish hot and fast.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagepixy_stix:
    The broiler are the heating elements at the top of the oven.  You want to use them because it will cook the fish hot and fast.

Yes 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • ok still confused. you two just said different things. LOL I have a gas oven w/ a little drawer at the bottom so THAT is the broiler? or do I just put the rack up high and cook it in the regular oven? See why I have never cooked fish before?? LOL 

• imageCeltiCutie:

ok still confused. you two just said different things. LOL I have a gas oven w/ a little drawer at the bottom so THAT is the broiler? or do I just put the rack up high and cook it in the regular oven? See why I have never cooked fish before?? LOL 

Does your drawer have a broiler pan in it? Since you have gas, that should be your broiler. I have electric, so it's just a storage drawer and I'd put things on the top rack.  

Natural M/C-> 10/21/09

2011 Reading Challenge

2011 Reading Challenge
    hide
  • imagelittleanomaly:
    imageCeltiCutie:

ok still confused. you two just said different things. LOL I have a gas oven w/ a little drawer at the bottom so THAT is the broiler? or do I just put the rack up high and cook it in the regular oven? See why I have never cooked fish before?? LOL 

Does your drawer have a broiler pan in it? Since you have gas, that should be your broiler. I have electric, so it's just a storage drawer and I'd put things on the top rack.  

Yes there is a little pan! SO I put the fish in there? (I apologize again for my ignorance... I feel so silly but I don't wanna jack this all up!)   

• imageCeltiCutie:
    imagelittleanomaly:
    imageCeltiCutie:

Yes there is a little pan! SO I put the fish in there? (I apologize again for my ignorance... I feel so silly but I don't wanna jack this all up!)   

Yep, that's your broiler, but I'd google a user manual for operating instructions. I vaguely remember my mom having to light things when she used the broiler. 

Natural M/C-> 10/21/09

2011 Reading Challenge

2011 Reading Challenge
    hide
  • See, I have gas and my broiler is still at the top.  I have a drawer at the bottom, but it's not a broiler.

However, if you have a separate drawer with a pan in the bottom, that's where the broiler is.

• Ok I think we figured it out. The pan is IN the drawer at the bottom but not attached. DH turned it on "broil" and the top coil of the oven lit. SOOO I guess I use the pan in the oven on broil! wooot! Thanks ladies!!! 

• I had an oven fire years ago when I used the broiler with fish once so ever since then I'm scared to death to use the broiler feature!
  • that's why i only grill or pan fry fish :-P
  • imageCeltiCutie:
    Ok I think we figured it out. The pan is IN the drawer at the bottom but not attached. DH turned it on "broil" and the top coil of the oven lit. SOOO I guess I use the pan in the oven on broil! wooot! Thanks ladies!!! 

make sure you have the top rack in the highest position. 

• imagerenee143:

imageCeltiCutie:
    Ok I think we figured it out. The pan is IN the drawer at the bottom but not attached. DH turned it on "broil" and the top coil of the oven lit. SOOO I guess I use the pan in the oven on broil! wooot! Thanks ladies!!! 

Huh.  I always use mine in the second highest.  I think the rule of thumb is that you want the stuff getting broiled to end up between 4 and 6 inches away, but closer to 4.  If I had mine on the highest position, it would be like 3 inches away. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageaspade:
    imagerenee143:

imageCeltiCutie:

Huh.  I always use mine in the second highest.  I think the rule of thumb is that you want the stuff getting broiled to end up between 4 and 6 inches away, but closer to 4.  If I had mine on the highest position, it would be like 3 inches away. 

ya I had mine on 2nd highest and it worked perfectly. Highest just seemed a little too close for my comfort! haha 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"