VBAC
Options

Need help with new OBGYN...long.

I called the local ICAN (not very active) leader today to get some recs for doctors. I am at least a year away from TTC. Given there are no problems for me in the next year that only equals 2-3 pre-pregnancy visits (annuals) to decide if I mesh well with the new doctor. I need to make an appointment for the next month or two. I don't really have any known way to get more info beforehand. Who would you think is better?

1. Female, 2 kids. This doctor is the wife of my FORMER general practitioner. When the GP was treating me for PPD, he said that his wife would have done a lot more to prevent the c/s. After all of the problems my family and I have had with the GP, I am afraid it would influence his wife's perception of me. This OB delivered the ICAN leader's last baby-vaginally (2nd VBAC)!

2. Male. I have heard from two different people that this doctor is really good. ICAN leader had her first VBAC pregnancy appointment with him and liked him, but because of insurance was not able to keep him as her doctor. A friend recommended him because he had helped a couple of ladies get pregnant after many failed attempts.

I'm leaving another doctor in the same practice because at my annual last year, he was not very supportive. ICAN leader said if the doctor isn't supportive before pregnancy, he isn't likely to be during. He had been recommended as VBAC-friendly.

Local ICAN has had 3 successful VBACs. It is a very small group.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Need help with new OBGYN...long.

• Options

Well, it's tough to say which one would be better.  In my experience, actually meeting the people that were recommended to me was better than anything else.  I ended up meeting with 4 different providers (1 OB, 1 hospital certified nurse midwife, and two birth center based CNMs) before I landed on my final pick.  They should be open to letting you come in for a Q/A outside of your well woman exam.  If they're not, I would think it wasn't a great sign.  Yes, it takes some time for them to meet with you, but if it helps put your mind at ease while you wait to TTC again, then it is worth in IMO.

All the time I invested interviewing face to face really helped solidify my choice and make me feel confident about my plans for a VBAC.  GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageBrownie_222:

Well, it's tough to say which one would be better.  In my experience, actually meeting the people that were recommended to me was better than anything else.  I ended up meeting with 4 different providers (1 OB, 1 hospital certified nurse midwife, and two birth center based CNMs) before I landed on my final pick.  They should be open to letting you come in for a Q/A outside of your well woman exam.  If they're not, I would think it wasn't a great sign.  Yes, it takes some time for them to meet with you, but if it helps put your mind at ease while you wait to TTC again, then it is worth in IMO.

All the time I invested interviewing face to face really helped solidify my choice and make me feel confident about my plans for a VBAC.  GL!

I agree with this.  I met three practitioners face to face for the express purpose of interviewing them for my VBAC.  They were all open to meeting just for this purpose.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMAprincess:
    imageBrownie_222:

I agree with this.  I met three practitioners face to face for the express purpose of interviewing them for my VBAC.  They were all open to meeting just for this purpose.

I didn't know that you could do this. I mean of course on the bump I've heard of people doing it, not always for VBAC. As I mentioned the ICAN group only has 4 people in it! People around here (NE Ark.) don't usually care about stuff like that. I know it is a long way off, but I was just thinking about the few visits before that time, but if interviewing is acceptable then maybe I will have some time in about 8 months.

• Options
    I didn't know that you could do this. I mean of course on the bump I've heard of people doing it, not always for VBAC. As I mentioned the ICAN group only has 4 people in it! People around here (NE Ark.) don't usually care about stuff like that. I know it is a long way off, but I was just thinking about the few visits before that time, but if interviewing is acceptable then maybe I will have some time in about 8 months. Can't hurt to call around and see! You're a trailblazer. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would be concerned about staying in a practice where I didn't like one of the physicians or if one of them se.  I did - and she was the one there when it came time to push.  I never saw my own doctor after the first 12 hours in the hospital.  It was disappointing to say the least.

But, it sounds like you don't have much choice.  So, like PP said, I would interview them.  You'd be surprised how much you can learn from one appointment.  Trust your gut.

• Options

I would definitely make an appointment just to meet with the Dr.'s. That's what I did with the midwives I went to see. They were great, scheduled me an hour and a half to talk to them and go over any questions I might have.

We could tell just from that first appointment who we wanted to go with. 

Best of luck! i hope you find a practitioner that you love!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    M/C Dec 2010 - 5w5d Missing my sweet angel baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"