Washington Babies

How much milk?

So remember last week when I was nervous about transitioning M to soy milk?  Well the kid freakin LOVES it.  She wants to drink it all the time.  How much milk should a 12 month old drink?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How much milk?

• My pediatrician told us there is not a 'minimum' amount of milk he can have, but there is a maximum (although he didn't tell me what that was oddly enough ..).  We definitely don't have a problem with too much since we cut out daytime bottles and only allow 1 for bed and nap. 

I found an article on babycenter that says 1 year olds should get between 16-24 oz a day.  My Dr. said to make sure to include cheese/yogurt in the dairy count also.

https://www.babycenter.com/0_cows-milk-when-and-how-to-introduce-it_1334703.bc?page=2#articlesection3

ETA: The reason they don't want them to have TOO much is  so they will get nutrition from regular food ..so if she's still eating well, I wouldn't worry a ton about :)

• 16 oz of cows milk provides most of their protein and calcium requirements I think. Of course they can get that from other sources too. I don't know the stats on soy but I bet it's close. And like Katie said, too much displaces their other nutrients so 24 oz is usually the max. Also calcium inhibits iron absorption so too much milk can also make them anemic.
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry. Suzie not Katie.
  • My friend's 18mo old was downing 30oz a day - they just tested - and yep, she's anemic - around 7% of toddlers are.

We love our milk too, around 20-24oz but have been VERY picky about food lately so I think we might be on our way if not already there. At least all the cereal and crackers he eats are fortified. And thank goodness for the spinach & pea applesauce packs - and bananas. Sucks I can't just add iron drops in his milk - I can in juice but he hates juice (I tried a few times)....

• StellaZ - try flintstOnes vitamins. Cooper can chew them even without molars an they have iron. He takes a half of one most days when I remember. :)
  • I was looking to vitamins next (besides the drops of course - I need milk to disguise that taste!). We still choke easily, so maybe 1/2 will work. I think I will add some to my next Amazon Fresh order...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"