Secondary IF
Options

Freaking out

I went ot see the RE today and I guess I was a little shocked by the whole appointment.  My thought was that I would go in, be told when to come in to do bloodwork, check the results of that and then just see if things were good with my body.  If so, we would wait for DH to heal and then hope that his counts go back up and start trying again.  The RE wants to do clomid with a trigger starting my next cycle.  He said that since I have a short luteal phase, things are probably not going well in my follicular phase.  He would prefer to treat that which will then help my luteal phase.  I was not prepared for this at all.  I also wasn't sure if DH would agree since he is very against IUI and IVF for religious reasons.  Luckily DH thinks this is fine.  But, I am thinking that we should wait a month to start because DH just had his varicocele surgery yesterday and I don't know if he will be up to sex soon enough.  Also, I am thinking that the more medicated cycles we can get in after the 3 month mark when we should start seeing results from the surgery the better.  The RE said that he thought it would be worth it to try this 4 times, but after that we can assume that it is not going to help.  So, what do you think, start right away this month or wait anothe rmont to get more cycles when DH's sperm production should hopefully pick up due to the results of the surgery?  Oh yeah, and how bad does that trigger shot hurt in the stomach??   have never had a shot in the stomach before and it kind of scares me.  Shots don't bother me, but that seems like a sensitive area.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Freaking out

• Options

What were YH's SA results before the surgery? Depending on how severe the MFI was, it might influence my decision on when to start treatments and how long to wait after the surgery.

My gut is to say that I would wait the three months to see if the surgery was a success, but I'm not sure 'cause I'm not in your position. I just wouldn't want to waste time and money on drugs and monitoring to find out three months down the road that DH's count was still too low for success. But again, that's just me.

I hope you and YH can come up with a plan you're both comfortable with! Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)

Oh, and the trigger doesn't even hurt a bit. It's less of a pinch than getting blood work done. I barely felt anything at all.

Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• Options
    Yes, my SIL would give me my shots at home. They told me to do it myself, but of course I could not and either could DH, so SIL did it.  I guess you could feel a little prick, but it was not that bad.
    Alyssa born 6/14/05 at 8 lbs 2oz - Ashley born 3/27/10 at 6 lbs 13oz
    We had 2 years of IF trying to conceive #2 and one loss during that time. We are currently trying for #3! had another loss the end of June
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Phew!  I am glad the trigger doesn't hurt too badly. 

DH's SAs had about 12 - 13 mil/ml, 47% motility, and 4% morph.  That is off the top of my head so it might not be exact, but it is close.

Thanks for the input!

• Options

I would go with your gut on this and wait until your hubby is in tip top shape. 

I PROMISE the stomacg trigger doesn't hurt.  The anticipation is much worse than the actual shot.  I used to be big baby about that stuff and now it is a piece of cake.  I don't even flinch.  You will do great. Good luck!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Doriimage
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • Options

I would wait anf give yourself the best possible chance for success.

The trigger in the stomach doesnt hurt at all and I hate needles.  I agree that its the anticipation that is much worse than the shot.  Good luck!!

DD born December 2005 TTC #2 since October 2008 IVF#1 3/2011 ~ CP IVF#2 5/2011 ~ Ectopic
  • Options

I would also recommend waiting.  Clomid was not a good drug for me (lots of bad headaches) so if you aren't even sure that your husband will be healing enough in time I wouldn't waste the emotional and physical expense you have to go through in taking the meds.

As for the tummy shots- they are not that bad at all.  The hardest part is getting your courage up to inject that first time, everything else is cake.

• Options

Thanks for the input everyone.  Do people even get pregnant with this combo?  Does it really increase my odds from just naturally trying without meds?  I feel like everyone I read about who does this ends up having to move on to something else.  Any success stories with this?  This whole appointment has kind of made me feel like this is our last shot since DH will not agree to IUI or IVF which is also why I am freaking out.

Kellyjg - OMG, do I have to give the trigger shot to myself??  I hadn't even thought of that! 

• Options
    JMayJMay member

I'm inpatient, so it would be hard for me to wait, but it does make sense.  I'd hate to go through Clomid and a trigger without the best possible odds on DHs side.  I don't know about wether or not it will work, but I'm in much the same boat, trying Femara + possible trigger this cycle.  Hopefully I'll let you know that it worked in a few weeks!  As for other "firsts", I posted this question a few weeks ago and got nice responses:

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/51118996.aspx

GL!

Doriimage
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

Miracle DD born 12.2005
    TTC #2 since Dec 2008 w/ PCOS
    ***P/SAIF Always Welcome***

Keep it Natural, Baby!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"