Indiana Babies
Options

vent (long)

i am so, SO annoyed with my mom right now.  my whole life it seems she's always been keeping tabs on my weight.  i was overweight as a child, but lost the extra pounds in high school/college.  i was in the best shape of my life the first time i got pregnant (up to 10 mile runs, training for a mini). but i slowly put on lots of weight during my first pregnancy and never lost it all afterwards. 

i wasn't happy with my weight when i got pregnant this time, but realize there's nothing i can really do about it other than eat healthy and try my best to live a healthy lifestyle while i'm pregnant. 

back to my mom.

i can feel her eyes burning holes in me whenever i see her these days.  i know she is sizing me up, trying to gauge how much weight i've gained so far or how big i'm getting.  before my first doctor apt she even told me "she hoped i wasn't having twins."  her reason for saying that?  she thought i was already showing too much. so i did bring up my weight/size to my doctor at my first apt, and she told me she wasn't concerned at all. her exact words were not to worry, i have the next 70 years to worry about losing weight.

today when i was talking to my mom on the phone, she asked what we had for lunch.  i told her and i also told her DD was being picky and refusing to eat the pasta.  so the only thing she had for lunch was broccoli.  my mom's response:  "well it looks like she's been eating something." 

oh my gosh.  i cannot even tell you how mad it makes me.  that she is now not only sizing me up, but also my 2 year old daughter.  who yes, is big for her age, but her doctor has never onced voiced a concern about and has always told me she is growing fine. following the right growth pattern/curve. 

i normally talk to my mom everyday on the phone and see her once a week.  but at this rate i have no idea how i'm going to maintain that relationship.  it makes me want to stay away from her for a very long time.

**i'm sorry if you actually made it through this whole post.  there's pretty much no real point to it, other than i just needed to get it all off my chest!**

Re: vent (long)

• Options
    aw, you poor thing!  I would be upset too!  Hugs!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Please, feel free to vent! I think every mother drives her daughter crazy at times. I am sorry that you have to be so frustrated. I agree with your doctor. Worry about baby weight after the baby comes. Hopefully, you can learn to let some of her comments roll off of your back.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry :(  My mom really gets to me on certain issues too - nothing as personal as what you described, but there must be something about the relationship between mothers and daughters that makes a mom's criticism so incredibly hurtful. I feel like my mom says a lot of things in a passive-aggressive way, but to me she is so transparent. I have vowed so many times never to make my daughter feel that way; I hope I don't. I hate that you are a struggling with this right now; the last thing you need is to feel like you AND your daughter are being judged. Hang in there mama; you are doing a GREAT job feeding both of your little ones :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Oh no...it's one thing for your mom to be on your back about weight, but when she's starting in on your pumpkin, that's an entirely different ballgame.  I'm sure it makes you fly into Momma Bear mode, as it would me!

Since I know your mom, I'll offer my third person opinion.  I think she's projecting her fears about her own weight issues onto you, and now A, and is probably doing it more out of concern because she doesn't want you to have to fight it like she always has.  In reality, it draws more attention to the issue and makes you self-conscious about it. 

Do you think that talking with her about her comments would do any good?  There's still time to cut it out before A hears those weight comments from her and understands what they mean.  I am never able to tell my mom how I really feel about the things she does that hurt my feelings, so I know it's easier said than done.

I'm really sorry that she did that.  Not cool, N!!   

• Options
    I agree with sweet tea.  My mom has gained weight over the years, and I think she doesn't want the same thing to happen to me.  My dad makes comments about not giving Josie too many bottles.  She's 95th percentile on both height and weight.  Both DH and I are tall and have bigger frames, so it's not like she's going to be a petite little thing!
  • Options

Ughh... That stinks that she is being like that. I know it is hard, but I would say stay away (especially keep your DD away) until she can not say things like that.

MIL is very opinionated on what a daughter "should" be and "should" do and "should" wear.  She has an awful relationship with SIL because of this. I told DH that if she ever started acting like that with M then it would be a long time before she saw her again. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"