Working Moms
Options

Mom's who went back to work...question?

Hello, here is my situation: just returned to work this week. DS is 13 weeks old. Exclusively breastfed. Worked a few weekends at my other per diem job to get back in the swing of things but now back 7a-5pm, 4 days a week.. DS never had issues when i was gone for the weekend shifts... took bottle of EBM, did well. Now, this week.... he is still taking bottle BUT he is not sleeping thru the night anymore!! He has been sleeping thru until atleast 5am since like 2-3 weeks of age. NOW, he is getting up for a 2am feed and then again at 5:30 feed! WHAT THE HECK!!!!!! I am exhausted beyond belief! I did not think this was a growth spurt becuase he has had alot of growth spurts before and didnt wake up for a 2am feed? UGH! Please help, any advice would be greatly appreciated!! TIA
~Kath~ Proud Mommy to Kailyn Marie (8-16-05) & KJ (7-26-08) Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageLilypie Pregnancy tickershref="http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d105/kath0816/?action=view&current=DSC02152-1-1.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket

Re: Mom's who went back to work...question?

• Options

It sounds like reverse cycling and is very common in BF babies.  BF babies tend to eat more when you are around if you are gone from them.  Since you're now working more, he probably is just making up for it by needing more at night.

I try to offer BFing a lot in the evenings after work.  DD cluster feeds every hour in the evenings and that helps her from wanting to wake up too much overnnight to eat.

Also, I can't tell exactly how old your DS is (I hate the stupid nest tickers!) but it looks like around 4 months??  If he's around 4 months there is a wakeful period.  That could also be affecting his sleep.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    he is 14 weeks old. what do you mean by wakeful period?? ARGH! Will it resolve itself? yuck.
    ~Kath~ Proud Mommy to Kailyn Marie (8-16-05) & KJ (7-26-08) Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageLilypie Pregnancy tickershref="http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d105/kath0816/?action=view&current=DSC02152-1-1.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Right around that age is when my son stopped STTN too.  He has never gone back to STTN.  We decided to start cosleeping again to maximize the amount of sleep I get at night.  It works for us and I get a lot more sleep this way. 

• Options

not sure about the feedings through the night, ds was ff, but wakeful periods do not stop at 4 months.  it will resolve but "they say" that there is also a wakeful period at 6 months too.  ds did not have those but he did have a 9 month wakeful period due to gross motor skills he was learning.  sttn is never consistent with babies/kids. 

• Options

very very common....both since you went back to work and just due to his age. He wants more time with you, thus the increased night feedings. Plus the 4 month 'wakeful' period is just an added form of torture for working moms  =)

It does get better eventually. 

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageECUGirl2004:

Right around that age is when my son stopped STTN too.  He has never gone back to STTN.  We decided to start cosleeping again to maximize the amount of sleep I get at night.  It works for us and I get a lot more sleep this way. 

Same for us... ::sigh::

But I do love the nighttime cuddling that goes along with co-sleeping.  

• Options
    I woudl guess that yor child is just adjusting to the new routine and hoepfully this will not last long.  It is very common for sleep and eating to change some when you start at daycare.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    imageECUGirl2004:

Yep ditto this post! DD is now 9 months and we are still co-sleeping but it works for us most nights :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"